Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

custom hook carving request

Pages: 1 1 replies

A
akidd posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2011 3:50 PM

I want some hooks carved from Moose and deer antler material. 3 Moose and 2 deer. Traditional designs.

Not many people seem to be familiar with using the material for makau but both materials are used a lot for intricate carving.

If I supply the material, anyone willing to do the work? Probably use moose burrs that are like big 3" "button" like pieces that are usually around 1/2" thick (or if you want antler pieces or joints instead I can get those). Deer would just be large sections of antlers.

Secondly I have always wanted a blue marlin (or black) bill makau too. I know the material is very porous and could be tough to work with. If it could be stabalized would someone be willing to do this work? In this case I need the material too.

I'm in the US. I only want legal, CITES compliant materials used.

Let me know.

Aloha.

Hi-

Saw your post, I've never carved antler, just bone, but I would be willing to give it a shot. There is a link in my sig to my hook shop, most of my stuff is fairly untraditional, but if you want a more streamlined traditional hook, I am sure I could pull it off.

-D

Pages: 1 1 replies