Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Mark Mywords' Walls of Voodoo (updated 6/17/15)

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

PP

On 2014-06-01 10:34, markmywords wrote:

On 2014-06-01 09:53, Pele Paul wrote:
love your bamboo window cover did you make that? looks like the window at the enchanted tiki room!!!!

Thanks! Yep, I built them. I'm a little sad that I never got the chance to build the same type of covering for the sliding door. Check out page 2 of this thread, it shows their construction.

[ Edited by: markmywords 2014-06-01 10:35 ]

wow!!!!!!!!!!!! how did I miss that!??? right click, right click, right click!!!!!!! awesome now Ive got some windows to make!!! lol love love love em!!!!!

Well, it's done. The last material remnants of the Walls of Voodoo were pulled from the drywall (with needlenose pliers) at 10:48pm 6/1/14. Here's pics from the wrap up...

Bare, empty tiki room

You know, the whole thing didn't seem real until I started taking down the ceiling. It really brought back memories of the original build and made me genuinely sad. This tiki-room got me through some really tough times in my life.

Oh, furring strips. Out of everything, you fought me the most during tear down.

What a mess

It was late, and it was almost like the room was fighting my attempts to finish up. This happened when I tried to pry a nail out of the wall. Ugh.

And that's it! Tiki-be-gone!

Looking forward to the new build at the new house. The room is bigger, but has it's own challenges. The new room is very tall (13' ceilings), which will be interesting. For me, a good tiki room should be sort of claustrophobic. Anybody have tips for making high ceilings work in a tiki environment?

On the good side, the new room is way better situated in the house (the original WOV was downstairs in a tri-level floorplan, away from the kitchen and family room). It has room enough for a built in bar. It should be an exciting adventure building the new space!

[ Edited by: markmywords 2014-06-02 08:06 ]

[ Edited by: markmywords 2014-06-02 11:03 ]

[ Edited by: markmywords 2014-06-02 11:20 ]

L

Sad, but to me, the building is more fun than the just hanging out.

Your next bar will be 10X better.

-Longboard

PP

On 2014-06-02 09:33, Longboard wrote:
Sad, but to me, the building is more fun than the just hanging out.

Your next bar will be 10X better.

-Longboard

I agree, the building part is the best!!! that's why I had to move! I was so bored with my old house and yard that I went stir-crazy! cant wait to see the new improved wall of voodoo!!

How did the move go? Wendy

PP

any new before and after pix yet?????

On 2014-09-19 07:50, Pele Paul wrote:
any new before and after pix yet?????

Alas, construction has yet to begin on WOV pt. 2. The room I have to work in is very large. I'm really still trying to get my head around it before I start the build.

In the meantime, I have been working on a far smaller Tiki project. Nothing too elaborate, just a little Tiki garden in the front of our granny cottage. I'll be putting up some pics of that project once I finish up in the next few weeks.

-mark

[ Edited by: markmywords 2014-09-29 00:33 ]

It begins...

-mmw

I can't wait to see how that turns out!

T

On 2014-06-02 08:03, markmywords wrote:

Looking forward to the new build at the new house. The room is bigger, but has it's own challenges. The new room is very tall (13' ceilings), which will be interesting. For me, a good tiki room should be sort of claustrophobic. Anybody have tips for making high ceilings work in a tiki environment?

Hang lamps, blowfish, etc. from the ceiling with longer cables, bringing the perceived usable space to the height you want.

‪#‎rubbergorillaarmy‬

[ Edited by: Tele295 2015-06-22 08:08 ]

Pages: 1 2 57 replies