Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Big Lots 2011

Pages: 1 14 replies

Went to Big Lots (Fullerton, CA) today and saw this years tiki selection. Tall Ku statue faux wood with light up eyes.

Tiki tea lights

Tiki Oil lamps (2 on right)

Tiki Plant pots

Tiki Dudes

Tiki Figurines

The usual Tiki Bar signs and fake leis also. Fun Stuff.

[ Edited by: StanTheMan 2011-02-10 11:51 ]

What part of the country are you in Stan?

L

Thank you Big Lots for bringing back all the crap and calling it Tiki again. I love this time of year!

A can of flat black spray paint makes many of these items quite acceptable for placement around the back yard.
I'll be heading over there today, thanks for the heads up.

On 2011-02-10 09:28, CucamongaChango wrote:
A can of flat black spray paint makes many of these items quite acceptable for placement around the back yard.
I'll be heading over there today, thanks for the heads up.

I'd agree, a little paint will make these more palatable.

Remember Big Lots is trying to make these things appeal to a new generation. You know... people that have never seen a black and white movie. LOL

Yeah, between Odd Lots and Jo-Ann Fabric - I usually get a couple items worth spray painting and setting out in the sun to melt (I usually paint shades of brown though). From a distance, they don't across too bad. Though those planters are just scary. I remember thinking last year that it'd suck if that was the only version of tiki I ever saw.

We have tacky tiki touchdown here in Denver.
I picked up the best of the three oil lamps, all brown and black with no other colored paint.
Couldn't bring myself to spring the 30 bucks for the light up Ku, but if he sticks around long enough to make it to clearance, I might pull the trigger.
There were no small tiki figurine things... maybe they'll come in next week.

problem with the planters is that they deteriorate so fast outdoors... not even worth painting every year so i stopped buying them. i just buy the larger tikis and paint them for the yard. i bring them in each season as the chicago winters kill them by causing them to crack and break.

C

and more Big Lots news you can use......I learned this weekend at out Trader Vic's Atlanta gathering (which was completely AMAZING, btw!!!!), that Big Lots this year also has the Extra Long drink straws that you use for Bowl drinks. They are shelved in with the other "tiki" stuff for the Summer.

Gotta go find some at my local Big Lots NOW!

Thanks so much for reminding me. I just got an email that my Big Lots is having a HUGE sale March 6th. I'm going tiki shopping. I got the long straws last year at my Big Lots good to here there back this year.

A

Although I refrained from buying it, the item at Big Lots that made me laugh was this drink wheel. Hey, if Tiki Ti has one....

OK made my annual trip to Big Lots to check out the "tiki" stuff they have this year that you guys have been posting about. If you guys contemplate buying anything from BL it can pay to sign up for their newsletter. I received an email coupon for their Friends and Family Sale that was today and it was for 20% off your entire purchase. Saw that someone already mentioned it above.

I ended up picking up two of the solar eyes tiki guys (reg 30) and a few of the orange hibiscus garlands (reg 6), which came in red also, and saved some money. I think BLs does a Friends and Family Sale a few times a year BTW.

I was in a hurry and had forgotten about the long straws so missed out on picking those up too. Can someone tell me if they are paper or plastic?

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2011-03-06 20:50 ]

M

Has anyone had any luck finding the Pele statue this year? I've been to several up here in Northern California and have had no luck. If anyone has one from prior year's and is willing to part with it, I'd be more than willing to pony up shipping and your purchase price for one.

I just found one at a yard sale for $1, they are around. Big Lots did not re-issue the big statues this year.

Paul

Just went by biglots today and they still have the big long straws for sale. The one I went to had about 10 packs left...not sure how many they started with.

Pages: 1 14 replies