Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Doctor Z's Castaway Lounge B-day Spectacular, 8/2 UPDATE/DETAILS!!

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

DZ

OK, so it's not so spectacular. In fact, I don't really have anything planned. Yet. But summer weekends are filling up fast with events on the ol' TikiCentral calendar, so I thought I'd stake a claim to this one: Saturday, August 2. My big ____th birthday is the 3rd, and with few exceptions, I've never had any TC'ers over to the Castaway Lounge, so this seemed like a good date!

It may be an actual party (the Good Doctor behind the bar, Sabu at the grill) or maybe just one of the stops on the long-rumored 'South Bay Tiki Crawl' (or both?), but it'll definitely be somethin' worth coming up into our neck of the woods for!
I'll update this post as more details fall into place...

Hope all my TC peeps can make it!

UPDATE/DETAILS
This will be an actual party, not just a stop on the ‘long-rumored/awaited’ South Bay Tiki Crawl. That will have to wait for another time (although a spontaneous field trip to visit the Tiki Apts. – BOT, pg 221 – isn’t entirely out of the question).

However, this is shaping up to be slightly more than just a simple soiree! Sabu (Master Of Coal and Flame) will indeed be at the grill, cookin’ his famous marinated coconut ti-leaf chicken & shrimp skewers, while Doctor Z will be behind the bar, makin’ the best Mai Tai’s you’ll *EVER *have!

But that’s not all! We will also be featuring “Doctor Z’s Tiki Arts & Crafts!”

I’ve gone a little overboard and made a s**tload of plaster-cast “Ku” masks (yeah, the very same ones that are selling for up to $20.00 each, pre-painted, on eBay; also seen in this thread) that YOU – in your inebriated state – will be able to paint YOURSELF and take home to keep and cherish for ever and ever. And ever. I’ll provide the masks, the paints, the brushes, you provide the inspired creativity! Oh, one thing, however: it’s BYOB (Bring Your Own Brown) When we did these in my 5th grade class, the watercolor paint kits we used had no brown paint – neither will yours! So if you have your own paints, you’re welcome to bring them! (Hey, did somebody say ‘Art Contest’?)

But wait – there’s more! We will also be having “Sabu’s Vintage Clothing and Jewelry Boutique!”

The Coconut Boy has managed to acquire quite a bit of overstock of really cool dresses and costume jewelry dating from 1950s to the 1960s that he needs to give away. If it fits you, it's yours! (The only catch is that you have to model it for us menfolk, wink wink...). Get there early because you might have to fight off Vintage Girl for the go-go dresses! Heck, I might even be persuaded to unload some of my duplicate mugs as well!

And finally, for all you amateur and professional mixologists, “The Castaway Lounge Guest Bartender, starring YOU”!

Look, I don’t REALLY want to be stuck behind the bar ALL night, so if you have a signature drink you’ve been itching to mix for folks to sample, I’m more than happy to give you a ‘guest spot’ behind the bar. I’ll have most of your standard alcohols & mixers, but if your recipe requires a certain special sumthin’ (Lychee nuts? Absinthe? Kava?), you gonna hafta bring it yourself! I'm sure most TC’ers are more than happy to serve as guinea pigs for most things (RULE: nobody makes any ‘Sufferin’ Bitch/Matador’-type drinks! At least not until later…)

Directions: 1303 S. Helberta Avenue, Redondo Beach. From the 405, exit at Hawthorne Blvd. Take Hawthorne south and make a RIGHT on Torrance Blvd. From Torrance Blvd., make a LEFT on Palos Verdes Blvd. After a mile or so, make a LEFT at the first stop sign after Prospect; which is Helberta. The Castaway Lounge is in the second house on the right, with the torches burning in the front yard…

The grill will fire up around 5-ish, and the bar will be open all night! Any questions, e-mail either one of us… Hope to see you there!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2003-07-17 00:06 ]

I'm there! So how many candles are you gonna be blowing that night?

So much fun so little time.....I'm there.

I love that neck o' da woods. Do they still have that cool little amusement park on the pier? Havn't been to Redondo Beach in quite some time. I think we're overdue. see ya!

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-05-24 04:44 ]

I got's that weekend night free I think. I'm in. (Can anyone cart the high-maintenance Bong's ass up and set it down at the good Dr's?.)

I be there, matey!

do you guys have any rules against motorcycles in the hood?. If not, i'm there. I need to have a real mai-tai.Will bring booze!

twowheelin'tiki wrote:
do you guys have any rules against motorcycles in the hood?. If not, i'm there. I need to have a real mai-tai.Will bring booze!

TWT~

Motorcycles + MaiTai/booze?

As Gecko would say: "you crazy braddah!"

when you one big mutha, 2 drinks ain't gunna wipe me out!( I do it every friday night at the tiki-ti!).

Eh TWT, Mike said you drink them Pina Colada things? Yes............ I am tempting fate.

Do you have to be a castaway to go to this party? If so, can I be Mary Ann? Looks like this party will be a good precursor to International Tiki Day. I’ll mix up a batch of my original concoction that I’ve renamed just for all the TC folks: a “Hula Nellie”...tasty and potent. Ouch!

I'm gonna try and do it too. I've been wanting to visit the Castaway Lounge for a while now.

Monkeyman and co will be there. San Diego County TC will be representin'

DZ

I've updated the info and posted all the party details at the beginning of this thread - check it out!

We're in. Bong you're with us.
Mahalo,
Al

On 2003-07-17 00:15, Alnshely wrote:
Bong you're with us.
Mahalo,
Al

Whatever you say Mr Al!

I do believe VG and I will be there.

This is gonna be good.

Shaka brah...
I'll look forward to it.

Woo-hoo! I'll take a turn behind the bar and make all you guys a shrunken skull - you'll love it.

Or is that Whew - Who?

DZ

Hey all -

Just a request that if you plan on attending but haven't rsvp'd, please do so! Sabu needs a (relatively) accurate count so he can get enough chicken & shrimp for his skewers. While we will try to cover the bases as far as providing everything for our guests, we certainly won't be upset should you decide to bring something of a food or drink nature to share... (hint, hint)

Oh, and an unopened Moai bottle of Pisco Capel will be awarded to the best painted 'Ku' mask, as selected by an as-yet unnamed panel of judges...

And finally, for all those imbibing mass quantities at the party (and to show you just how much I care...), I will be providing individual 'prescriptions' of Doctor Z's famous "Sworn By, Not Sworn At" hangover remedy (as discussed here, here, and here) to help ease your pain and sufferin' the next day.

See you soon!

Rats...Z-man and Sabu, it has come true, I found a cheap immediate deal to Hawaii, leaving this Tuesday, coming back next, so...
I can only say, IF I would not be in Waikiki, your pahty would be my next choice.
Have a good time y'all. What is the next TC event after IT and before Exotica 2003?

T

Doctor Z, your post brings up a good point.. though many of us would LOVE to provide all booze and food for our guests, these days it isn't really feasible. Depending on the crowd, some guests will just show up empty handend and drink all your stash. Others will come laden with casseroles and 2 bottles of wine. I like the way you put it, however, prehaps there should be a protocol that we can put in place for future invites...

As in, instead of saying, BYOB (the standard), there should be a more friendly way to put it:

BYOBIYAPTDMTW
(Bring your own drinks if you are planning to drink more than two)

or

ELAGTBG

(Everone loves a guest that brings guacamole)

On 2003-07-18 10:35, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
Woo-hoo! I'll take a turn behind the bar and make all you guys a shrunken skull - you'll love it.

I don't need a Shrunken Skull
Just a little head ?

The Dog will be there but later

I am bringing my own booze and mixers and plastic cups for my guest stint at the bar and I might suggest that other wannabee bartenders do the same as you don't wanna be planning on making something only to find out that they've run out of what you need
(ho, ho! wannabee and don't wanna be in the same sentence!)

R.S.V.P.

from the Tiki 3

C'Al

Holden

Bamboo Ben

Baxdog, you ARE going bald, therefore you ARE "gaining more of your" head.

T

Mrs. Pug and I will be there.

HH

more then likly I an I will be there.

SugarCaddyDaddy (and possibly) SugarMama will be present to add a bit of sweetness to the socializing.

I think I can make this one, since the fellas live soo close. Sabu's cooking is second to none. I'll bring some snacks.

Dr. Z, How big are the plaster masks? And, for me to get your gift correct, I really need to know your age.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen on 2003-07-30 08:08 ]

Lady V will be staggerin' in around 6ish. She will be fresh from work bartending a bunch of drunks.

I may be there earlier than 6.

Johnnie "Let's git dis par-tay started!" Velour

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-07-30 15:27 ]

P

Unless I am otherwise pre-empted (which at this point I don't expect to be) I will be there Saturday. This will be a great challenge to me not to drink at a tiki party. Well, perhaps I'll allow myself one.

S

Hey Good Doctor!

Unfortunately, we'll be out of town but wish you all the best for your birthday! Sorry we gotta miss it but sounds like a great time.

Good seeing you last week. Catcha at the Big Dawg's house.

Doc Z/Sabu, Okay this may be redundant, but here's my RSVP: I will be there with my friend Alice. We will bring a vat of my “Hula Nellie” (5 kinds of alcohol) and some snacks, maybe chips or something like that.

Also, I was in dire need to whip out my glue gun, paints and sparkly stuff, (my own kind of therapy), so I made something to grace the walls of the Castaway Lounge. You can either: 1) think it’s cheesy cool, although, you may need to be in an inebriated state to think this; 2) smile, say thank you, and add it to the wood pile for the next Tiki sacrifice; or 3) blame your 5th graders.
See everyone on Saturday!

Mrs. Fury will be out of town, but I will be there!

I'll be there about 5-ish.

Dr. Z,
What are you drinkin?

DZ

Ben-- the masks are about 7 3/4" x 3 3/8", about 1 3/4" thick. I'll be celebrating my, ahem, 38th b-day AND my TikiCentral 1-year Anniversary (which I think is MUCH more important, btw...).

CheekyGirl-- sounds great, but be aware: my 5th graders have done some pretty good stuff!

MTKahuna-- what am I drinkin'? Well, just about anything! :drink:

Everyone else-- I look forward to seein' all y'all on Saturday (and hope that the rain stays away...)!

G-Damn Z! 38?? I thought you were like 45!! (must have been all those lawn shows at the dead! And, you know, all that laughing!!) I was just messin with you to see if you would crack your age!! Shazammm! It worked! If I pay you a little extra can you pre-seal my mask with water based paint? Any color will work. Just so it's got a film on it and is not just plaster. We'll be there around 6-7. Got to drop off a Bamboo Ben Bed at Kilohana first. Lookin forward to one of your Mai Tais. Heard they are the chit! Top O the Line! Happy early 38th plus 1!

T

Dr Z

Sorry for the late RSVP but please add lilSusan and I to the list for the par-tay. See you then.

Trustar

Doc, I just found out that my band is playing a show tonight in Balboa. Regrettably, I cannot make the part tonight. There will come a day where I finally make the pilgrimage to Castaway Cove. Happy Birthday and put some back for me.

A late RSVP for two. Rebecca and I will be there. We'll bring something appropriately amusing.
Dave

Sorry for the last minute R.S.V.P., but I'm in! Just got back into town and looking forward to seeing the gang. I'll bring plenty booze for youse.

-Weird Unc

Hey Doc - just wondering, do you take your moniker from the great 1965 Euro-trash horror flick THE DIABOLICAL DR Z, directed by Jess Franco? I imagine so. It just came out on DVD, by the way, and I highly recommend it to all who dig mod 60s monster movies.
see http://www.mondomacabrodvd.com if so inclined

Pleaze excruze the Tiki 3 's absence. Mucho Mahalos for understanding that we work tooo hard.

p.s. Blame it on Fred!

I too am sorry for my no show.
But it is 9:15 and I am taking my first break of the day.
Sorry ZZ's
Sorry friends

Pages: 1 2 70 replies