Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What's the most Tiki flower?

Pages: 1 20 replies

What do you consider the most recognizable, tropical flower in terms of Tiki culture? Would it be the hibiscus?

H

Plumeria

Bird of Paradise

I would say the Hibiscus, somewhat, because it has adorned so many Aloha shirts.
But flowers are really more of a Hawaiiana icon, Tiki culture only uses flowers as drink garnish :) :

Not exactly "most recognizable", but more obscure, and not a flower but a plant:
I was thrilled to recently discover a tropical perennial who was obviously named for the fact that its leaves resemble a primitive modern mask in a most abstract form - the "African Mask":

One can see the likeness of different tribal mask designs in the shape and lines of its leaf:

I was convinced I had seen a mask design somewhere even closer than the above, but could not pin it down.

It would be interesting to find out about the genesis of the name of this plant - who named it and when.

On 2011-02-22 17:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Plumeria

Frangipani by another name, it smells the best too.

A

The plumeria would seem the obvious answer seeing that it is commonly used to make leis [ironically, plumerias are native to the New World, but I digress]. Although, the hibiscus is used in a lot of Hawaiiana art [and is the official state flower of Hawaii]. As far as tiki culture is concerned, some tiki drinks were garnished with flowers, including a vanda orchid (Harry Yee's Blue Hawaii) and a gardenia (Donn Beach's Mystery Gardenia).

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2011-02-23 08:32 ]

Not to derail the topic, and I didn't think of it until this thread came up...
But, I think more of lush tropical foliage than of flowers when I think tiki.
Split leaf philodendron, mother-in-laws tongue, monstera, elephant ear... bromeliad is the closet I get to flower.
But that's probably because I'm thinking of MCM stacked stone planters, fiberglass bullets planters, tropical fake window views, that sort of thing.
I think I'm leaning towards the decor/environment not the clothes, garnishes, etc.

such a silly thread,
can it be moved to Bilge, or beyond tiki?

Jeff(btd)

On 2011-02-23 10:17, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
Not to derail the topic, and I didn't think of it until this thread came up...
But, I think more of lush tropical foliage than of flowers when I think tiki.
Split leaf philodendron, mother-in-laws tongue, monstera, elephant ear... bromeliad is the closet I get to flower.
But that's probably because I'm thinking of MCM stacked stone planters, fiberglass bullets planters, tropical fake window views, that sort of thing.
I think I'm leaning towards the decor/environment not the clothes, garnishes, etc.

• 1000 on the Split leaf philodendron, the most "tiki" plant in existence!

Thanks for all the informative posts! I knew I could count on you guys to school me on tropical flora and fauna. You learn something new everyday, right? :D

Of course plumeira and orchids, but for me it will always be hibiscus. Love them!

What about Anthurium, Red Ginger & Monstera?

T

Orchids of Hawaii!
:wink:

M

H

I would have to say

1. Hibiscus
  2. Frangipani (plumeria)

Although I also love the bird of paradise (which is actually from sth africa, but since when has tiki culture been geographically accurate).

The other notable mention is the rather suggestive pomengranate which appears in the BoT!

Take a walk around the Foster Botanical Gardens. It is a delightful, and an invogorating walk. I hear this extremely rare plant flowers ONLY every twenty two-years and smells like a mai-tai.

The garden contains a totem pole.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-02-23 23:19 ]

P

Hibiscus in my mind.

Bamboo and Thatch products: http://www.bambooandthatchetc.com

[ Edited by: Polly 2011-02-23 23:49 ]

K

I completely agree with an earlier poster, it's not the flower, it's the FOLIAGE that's "tiki" to me. Lots & lots of green leaves of many kinds. The flowers are incidental. :)

a lei made of plastic flowers-- THAT's "tiki"...

My vote is for sugar cane, the coconut flower, the pineapple flower, and the mango flower:

Without them there is no rum, no pineapple juice, no CocoLopez, no mango - in short, NO TIKI CULTURE!!!

Mike Wins,

end thread.

Pages: 1 20 replies