Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The caribbean bar

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

C
cribe posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2011 9:09 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:23 ]

TZ

I would volunteer, but I'm afraid I'd be our best customer at the bar.

Aloha and welcome! Anything that helps distract from the cold is good.

On 2011-03-02 21:04, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2011-03-02 15:41, telescopes wrote:
Oooops. Somebody better tell the folks at Forbidden Island so they can pull their sponsorship of this site.

So what are you saying: The above IS a Tiki environment? There are 101 oh-so-funny, smart ass examples of how Tiki bars have non-Tiki elements in them, and how there have been non-Tiki posts accepted here. Flashing them here still does not change the fact that the above is NOT a Tiki bar, while cribe thinks it is and presents it as such. It IS however a lovely, fun-looking CARRIBEAN home bar, nobody is denying that. C'mon people it ain't rocket science!
[/quote

I for sure, am not going to argue with you - your points go without saying. But I do believe that there is a pragmatic approach to this thing of ours that recognizes a wide continuum of things that we perceive as tiki. One of them I would respond, is a certain attitude that says "Damn, I'm glad I am not at work."

Now this attitude alone is not enough to say tiki. But add in drinks, people hanging back, and plenty of island distractions and you have got a get away.

Here's the rub. The drinks we so love are almost all descendants of the Carribean . For goodness sake - let's begin with rum.

All I am suggesting is that someone should feel welcome to share pictures and experiences of their own bar when it has some overlap with what is discussed here. As he has said, the other sights don't have as many good ideas and pictures.

Point out that it isn't tiki or point out areas that could make it more interesting to a tikiphile. But let's not be rude. Again, you weren't and I am not suggesting you were, but a few of the statements didn't meet the definition of Ohana - a basic tiki principal. And no where in his posts did he say let's become parrot heads.

That's all.

Actually, a discussion on dark themes versus colorful themes would be interesting and welcomed.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2011-03-04 16:53 ]

C
claq50 posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2011 4:51 PM

I made a misting system for my bar from stuff from home depot. Ran me around 40 bucks for it all. Works great in the summer! Just go to the irrigation center and pick up some 1gpm misters, and then micro tubing, 1/4" tees, and finally a garden hose adapter.

On 2011-03-04 16:51, claq50 wrote:
I made a misting system for my bar from stuff from home depot. Ran me around 40 bucks for it all. Works great in the summer! Just go to the irrigation center and pick up some 1gpm misters, and then micro tubing, 1/4" tees, and finally a garden hose adapter.

In the desert, where it is a dry heat, we try to maintain 1000 psi. The Home Depot systems simply don't even come close. In fact, I can't even use their parts without achieving instant blow out. At 1000 psi cooling action is air conditioning outside.

C
cribe posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2011 5:19 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:24 ]

C
cribe posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2011 5:33 PM

C
cribe posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2011 6:11 PM

L
Lente posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 4:34 AM

cribe yous trollin.

C
cribe posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 6:42 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:25 ]

P
phinz posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 7:15 AM

Actually, a discussion on dark themes versus colorful themes would be interesting and welcomed.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2011-03-04 16:53 ]

When I renovated Trader Scott's, moving it to the other side of the basement and removing all the Christmas lights, Key West paraphernalia, etc... but keeping the the tiki elements, the first thing I got from everybody was, "It's too dark." My reaction was, "Tough. It's a tiki bar. It's supposed to be dark. Let your eyes adjust."

I went from a mixed tiki/beach/Caribbean/tropical bar to much, much more tiki. Do I miss the escapism of the old bar? Heck yeah. Am I proud of what Tiki 65 and I have brought to life. Heck yeah.

The old bar:

Not pure tiki, but fun nevertheless. It was an escape. A place to be where you didn't worry. We actually spent more time just hanging out in the bar than we do now with the new bar.

I don't have good pics of the new space yet, but we went from about 150 sq. ft. to 600 sq. ft, with proper lounge and bar areas now.

I like your bar Caribe. It ain't tiki, but it sure looks like fun.

On 2011-03-05 04:34, Lente wrote:
cribe yous trollin.

That was my impression too :)

C
cribe posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 8:02 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:21 ]

P
phinz posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 8:23 AM

On 2011-03-05 08:02, cribe wrote:
Like it a lot Phinz. Have you ever been to beach spot and decide to walk down the beach hitting up the different beach bars for a drink as you go?

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 08:03 ]

I've done this in Jost Van Dyke. Start out on one end of the beach, drink the specialty at each bar and end up all night at Foxy's Tamarind. One of the best experiences I've ever had.

C
cribe posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 10:23 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:21 ]

P
phinz posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 11:13 AM

The Soggy Dollar is at White Bay, just across the hill from Foxy's. I spent 36 hours in Great Harbour while cruising the USVIs/BVIs. Check out Foxy's Tamarind. It's the same Foxy that Kenny Chesney sings about when he says, "I wish I was there tonight, on Jost Van Dyke, sipping on some Foxy's firewater rum." I was actually upset when he mentioned Foxy's, because I always thought about it as my own personal escape. Now everybody from the parrothead/Chesney world knows about it. I don't know if it's even the same anymore.

I have indeed had a painkiller or four. Foxy's made an amazing pina colada w/ice cream and fresh ground nutmeg.

C
cribe posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 2:08 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:20 ]

BK

C
cribe posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 3:50 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:22 ]

BK

That was a very "adult" PM you sent me. It took you exactly 6 minutes to prove me right! :D

C
cribe posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 4:52 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:22 ]

BB

Due to a lack of Tiki the Caribbean Bar has been moved to Beyond Tiki.

P
phinz posted on Sat, Mar 5, 2011 9:02 PM

Love all the deletes. :lol:

MN

Thanks Boris!!

I can't believe it took so long. He had no desire to grasp tiki. The guy's a chooch!

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-03-06 06:00 ]

On 2011-03-05 21:02, phinz wrote:
Love all the deletes. :lol:

Except that with every post, the thread was becoming more and more a parade example of what Tiki is NOT - including the alcoholic choices, and that buying a pre-fab sign that says "Tiki Bar" on it a Tiki Bar it does not maketh.

On 2011-03-02 21:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
This posting of pointless niceties and not calling a spade a spade is being un-constructive to the point of being destructive, because it will ultimately allow for sending the essence of ANYTHING down the drain.

Amen, Sven.

I thought everyone showed remarkable restraint. For the most part, everyone gave him the benefit of doubt and assumed he just didn't know any better. Thank you

EDIT - Also an interesting example of how a scattering of "non-tiki" items fit fine in a tiki bar ie parrots, monkeys, pirates, beer - but when you remove them from the context of a tiki bar, they are no longer "tiki" - a bar decorated with only those items isn't tiki at all.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-03-06 07:47 ]

BK

Hey, guys! Sorry if I stirred the pot. I'm really very tolerant & sympathetic towards newbies, ( I was one once), but this guy was looking to cause trouble, if not right from the start, then shortly thereafter & something just rubbed me the wrong way. OK, back to our regularly scheduled Tiki program.

MN

It took eight minutes for him to fire off his first rude PM to me. :D

TM

What I find ridiculous is that Sven keeps on having to explain to people what exactly tiki is....

Don't they really know? You can even look up "tiki culture" on wikipedia.

I would say to Sven, don't even waste your time. if you have to explain it, then the person you are talking to will never get it no matter what. Tiki should be self-evident.

Look, I am willing to accept certain new elements into the tiki revival scene, such as surf music and low brow art (despite my deep misgivings as to their relation to poly-pop)...but that is as far as I will go and you are seriously crossing the line into mediocre land when you continue to bring Jimmy Buffet Caribean stuff into the mix...it's just horrible! And I don't think that makes me a purist at all. Why do people wonder about why I am so passionately anti-hippy on this forum, for example? it's because I watched numerous Mickey Hart and Grateful dead threads start arriving in tiki music. Next comes reggae, and then we are done! I also start to cringe when I see garage rock bands marketing themselves as "exotica"...even if those garage bands are excellent musicians, writing fun and interesting music. It's still not true tiki.

C

Mickey Hart?
:)

TM

Well, Conga...I think I have gotten better! I mean, I no longer want to see any members of the Grateful Dead hanging from a gibbet like I used to! :)

You have gotten better, me too! I like your new music too :)

TM

Much appreciated! I've been really working hard on that, while trying to make time for my normal life...which is pretty chaotic!

Pages: 1 2 82 replies