The caribbean bar

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

C
cribe posted on Thu, Feb 24, 2011 8:57 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:16 ]

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-08 07:38 ]

Welcome Cribe,

"What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

It’s not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
It’s not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
It’s not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
It’s not about Reggae
It’s not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
It’s not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it
It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions.

Further Reading
If you’d like to know more about the kind of Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on, and what we don't, we recommend the following: The Book of Tiki"

C
cribe posted on Thu, Feb 24, 2011 9:22 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:17 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Feb 24, 2011 9:28 AM

Is that a spa, or a realy small pool?

C
cribe posted on Thu, Feb 24, 2011 9:33 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:30 ]

TZ

I'll agree that you have more of a beach bar than tiki bar vibe going on --- but waaaay cool, nonetheless. I'd love to hang out there.

T

I like the swim spa. Can u surf on it? :lol: :lol:

C

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-02-24 10:33 ]

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:16 ]

C

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:30 ]

On 2011-02-24 09:22, cribe wrote:
Don't think it hurts to throw out a change of pace now and then. Anyone else have a problem with the pics?

I think that it's a very nice Florida Bar, and I like the Carib Beer sign (it looks hand painted, very nice), but there isn't a single Tiki, Mid-Century Modern Exotica, Poly-Pop, Hapa-Haole or even any Doo-Wop Space-Age Populuxe Palmus Plasticus (No, I didn't make that up, google Wildwood, New Jersey) image, visual quote or reference in the whole place. Yeah, it's nice to throw out a change of pace now and again, but it would also be nice to throw out a bone to the Tikiphiles that this place caters to; posting those pictures here is like posting the same pictures to a Star Wars or Death Metal board, and for the same reasons: the next time I look at this thread will be when someone tells me two of the girls have taken their tops off and are making out.

T

Great looking place and does the shirts mean that your from Michigan, which would make this place even better.

And you could add a tiki or two way faster than all the people on Tiki Central could add your style and pad to their tiki(s)

But we do like our tikis around these parts.

On 2011-02-24 15:38, freddiefreelance wrote:

the next time I look at this thread will be when someone tells me two of the girls have taken their tops off and are making out.

LOL!

K

On 2011-02-24 18:50, Slacks Ferret wrote:

On 2011-02-24 15:38, freddiefreelance wrote:

the next time I look at this thread will be when someone tells me two of the girls have taken their tops off and are making out.

LOL!

freddiefreelance, PM me if hear the news before I do, so I can zip back to this thread too.

Sorry, been a bit thin skinned with work issues and being sick so I retract most of my post, althought I do think it's a bit crass to kid a new member about adding nudity to a post to make it interesing.....

It's a nice set up, with the pool being a nice touch, and thank you for the pics.If your looking for ways to grow it's tikiness out, this is the right place to come.

"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." - B. Banzai

[ Edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2011-02-24 23:45 ]

C
cribe posted on Fri, Feb 25, 2011 4:20 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:31 ]

C
cribe posted on Fri, Feb 25, 2011 4:46 AM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:28 ]

TZ

Ah, the famous "feet shot." I have one of these for every vacation I've taken at a beach.

C

It does look like a fun Caribbean bar with a wonderful pool and tropical backyard...nice job on all of that. Now kick it up a few notches and get some Tikis for your yard. There are so many great carvers on this board, sure one lives in your area, so hook up with one of them and sure they will give you a great deal. Have fun, your well on your way to having a Tiki bar. :)

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2011 6:06 PM

Hawaii Is.
CA-Cali birth place of ploy pop
Starfish
net
tinfoil covered syrup bottle just like all the best bars
Pineapple

All tiki

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2011 6:17 PM

oh, and cleavage (from the pic at the top of page)

C
cribe posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 1:45 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:29 ]

Well, I haven't been on this site in months and this is the first thread I look at. I remember why now I do not come to this website anymore.....You all have your noses up in the air if it isn't exactly like you want it to be. This was the same type "welcome" I got. It has to have blah blah blah in it of we don't like it. I think you have a great bar.

I check back in a few years and see if all the same a-holes are still forcing their idea of tiki on others.

KK

Nobody is forcing the "idea" of Tiki on anybody. There simply are things that ARE Tiki, and things that ain't. Things that are Tiki belong on a Tiki website, things that are not Tiki really don't. You are acting like someone that walks into a Chinese restaurant and calls the chef an a-hole because he is not serving Italian food ...and is not gonna. The mind boggles.

Those are great pics of your party place. I enjoyed them. I apologize for whoever made the crass comments about your family. That was uncalled for, but some people here live for drama. Even though I have a tiki bar, I still enjoy some Coronas and Patron every now and then (OH MY GOD is that tiki!?). Its a big tiki community on TC and that means there are all sorts of people including those that are intoxicated while typing. At least I know now not to post any pics of my daughters!

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 3:02 PM

On 2011-03-02 14:51, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
I apologize for whoever made the crass comments about your family. That was uncalled for, but some people here live for drama. Its a big tiki community on TC and that means there are all sorts of people including those that are intoxicated while typing. At least I know now not to post any pics of my daughters!

Wow you want my teen age daughter and one of her friends to take off their tops and make out?

I'm sure nobody thought those girls were TEENS. I mean, they all have drinks in their hands and we all know that the drinking age in this country is 21. So therefore teens can't be doing shots.

The fact remains that those photos have no place here. It is no surprise that they are being joked about. If you walk into the Tiki Ti in Los Angeles and ask for a beer, they simply will tell you they don't serve beer. The have not since they opened in 1960. They are not TELLING you that you cannot drink whatever beer you like at your pool. It's just that they don't serve it. Because they are a TIKI bar.

On 2011-03-02 15:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
They are not TELLING you that you cannot drink whatever beer you like at your pool. It's just that they don't serve it. Because they are a TIKI bar.

Oooops. Somebody better tell the folks at Forbidden Island so they can pull their sponsorship of this site.

C
cribe posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 5:29 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:29 ]

Here are just a few of my tiki's-

Mostly, these and others are hidden about for others to stumble over and find.

On 2011-03-02 15:41, telescopes wrote:
Oooops. Somebody better tell the folks at Forbidden Island so they can pull their sponsorship of this site.

So what are you saying: The above IS a Tiki environment? There are 101 oh-so-funny, smart ass examples of how Tiki bars have non-Tiki elements in them, and how there have been non-Tiki posts accepted here. Flashing them here still does not change the fact that the above is NOT a Tiki bar, while cribe thinks it is and presents it as such. It IS however a lovely, fun-looking CARRIBEAN home bar, nobody is denying that. C'mon people it ain't rocket science!

On 2011-03-02 21:04, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2011-03-02 15:41, telescopes wrote:

So what are you saying: The above IS a Tiki environment? There are 101 oh-so-funny, smart ass examples of how Tiki bars have non-Tiki elements in them, and how there have been non-Tiki posts accepted here. Flashing them here still does not change the fact that the above is NOT a Tiki bar, while cribe thinks it is and presents it as such. It IS however a lovely, fun-looking CARRIBEAN home bar, nobody is denying that. C'mon people it ain't rocket science!

No, I am not saying it is a tiki environment. But I don't think Carib said it was. I think he was sharing his sense of escapism. And, in the beginning, as you have so aptly written, that's what DTB was selling. In fact, if we could go all the way back to 1934, how many tikis would we see at his first place.

I have them. I have three tikis and I have three moai. All of them are placed around the grounds. I have the torches, the bar, but I have no bamboo. Or thatch. But I have a love of Polynesia and a love of SoCal Poly Pop. But, my photos would not indicate tiki. No globes, no puffer fish, no.... you name it.

But, we have Rumaki, Hawaiian BBQ, Crab Rangoon, and etc all served at the parties in the backyard.

I guess what I am saying is escapism is a start and it is a beginning and tiki is not an end to itself but it is a mile stone along the way that one eventually learns and gets. But in the last words of Tea and Sympathy - "Be Gentle". He'll get there, and sooner without the unnecessary heat and ignorant statements - not that you were being ignorant.

Well, then he should post the pix on EscapismCentral until there's Tiki in them hills. And not be surprised if he gets flak here until there is. Or post the pics with the same level of reflection and knowledge of the subject that this site is about demonstrated by you.

This posting of pointless niceties and not calling a spade a spade is being un-constructive to the point of being destructive, because it will ultimately allow for sending the essence of ANYTHING down the drain.

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 1:49 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:25 ]

Good observation! One of the key differences between Tiki and Carribean style. While Carribean style is "colorful" and "happy", Tiki environs are dark and mysterious, with monochrome brooding idols lurking in the corners. Most Tikis painted in other colors than brown and black are a sign of the mid-70s to 80s devolution of Tiki style. Classic, original Tiki is about being "primitive", while Carribean style is about "Island Lifestyle".

cribe,

There is another website dedicated to the Caribbean-Mexican, Corona Beer & Margarita, quadruple tequila shot, tropical theme of your bar that would likely be more appreciative of your designs.

Here is a link to their photo page.

http://www.margaritaville.com/intphoto.html

They also have discussion forums that you can access here:

http://www.margaritaville.com/forum/

DC

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 2:49 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:26 ]

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 2:53 PM

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 2:59 PM

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 3:07 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:27 ]

M
Murph posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 3:20 PM

Cribe do you have a Big Lots store over by you?

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 3:33 PM

Cribe, you live the tiki Spirit, tiki or not, where aside from the 10% that do, the rest of us just talk about and wish for.

On 2011-03-03 14:53, cribe wrote:
Anybody seen these? plan on adding them summer.

Your in Michigan, Right? DON"T get these unless you want to mimic the atmosphere of Louisianna in August.

I live in a desert and they work for me, but once the dew point gets over 55 it's is over.

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 8:24 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:27 ]

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 8:28 PM

C
cribe posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 8:41 PM

[ Edited by: cribe 2011-03-05 20:23 ]

MN

On 2011-03-03 20:41, cribe wrote:
Nothing worse then coming out in the morning and finding a couple bottles of Grey Goose.

No doubt.
Forgot my :lol:

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-03-04 06:43 ]

MN

Better yet....

On 2011-03-03 20:41, cribe wrote:
finding a couple bottles of Grey Goose missing.

Forgot my :lol:

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2011-03-04 06:42 ]

Pages: 1 2 82 replies