Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Finding Nemo

Pages: 1 40 replies

Pixar is at it again. More Tiki goodness in the Finding Nemo toys. I'll find out next weekend how much made it into the movie...

Check out the puffer fish

M

I caught the 60 Minutes segment on Pixar and "Nemo" last night. The one animator has a great Tiki office/workspace. I think his name is Mark, but that's all I remember hearing. Dan Rather at Pixar, not unlike Elvis meeting Tricky Dick...they just don't mix well.

Not sure if he is a member here. He should be. His workspace looked amazing.

midnite...will have to go see "Finding Nemo".

E

That's probably Mark Adams, he is a great animator, has co-written books on Maya. I can't find any references to him and Tiki, but who knows, he may already be lurking or a member?...

em

P

I saw the 60 Minutes piece on Pixar. The one main animator Dan was talking too had a great Hawaiian shirt. Both my wife and I immediately thought "Shag" when we saw it.
I'm sure it wasn't though, because it has some strongly contrasting color blocks, one of which had a clownfish on it. Shag seems to like to to stick to a contigous palate, at least for the clothing he's done.

As Papa Bong of 2 daughters, the only movies I ever see are Disney-types. We'll be hitting the seats, pockets stuffed full of treats (not that treat Baxdog), ready to watch 30 minutes of trailers then the movie!

(P.S. if a 'trailer' is before the movie, is it more properly called a 'pushcart'?)

R
Rain posted on Fri, May 30, 2003 10:43 AM

On 2003-05-30 10:40, Tiki_Bong wrote:
(P.S. if a 'trailer' is before the movie, is it more properly called a 'pushcart'?)

from some of them that i've seen lately, i'd say a pushcart full of manure.

M

The one main animator Dan was talking too had a great Hawaiian shirt. *

The shirt-wearing Pixar dude was Andrew Stanton, the director and head dude at Pixar. Mark Adams IS the animator I mentioned before, and I am going to contact him about Tiki Central.

The shirt is made by Reyne Spooner:

Pretty nice, but $77 at the first site I found it available, yikes! Then again it will around $9 to see the movie here in SF. Shirt is nice, I may have to get one...when it gets to eBay in a few weeks.

midnite

On 2003-05-30 12:07, midnite_tiki wrote:
Pretty nice, but $77 at the first site I found it available, yikes!

That's the retail price for most of the Reyn Spooner shirts I've seen, but you can sometimes find them on sale for much less.

--cindy

E

On 2003-05-30 12:07, midnite_tiki wrote:
[i]
Mark Adams IS the animator I mentioned before, and I am going to contact him about Tiki Central.

The shirt is made by Reyne Spooner

Way cool, I hope you can bring him on board midnite! Yeah, those Reyns aren't cheap, are they? That's why I was so stunned when my bro-in-law in San diego sent me one of their "Voodoo Mugs" shirts, supposedly destined for re-release. this one rocks too!

em

T

I'd heard from a couple friends at Pixar that John Lasseter wears only Reyn Spooner shirts. Could be true as I've never seen him not wear an aloha shirt. He had them custom made by RS for the crews of the Toy Story movies. Some might remember seeing my retro-y Buzz Lightyear aloha shirt at the Oasis. Those TS shirts weren't commercially available like these new Nemo ones are. That Nemo one is pretty dang cool.

TD

hey guys-
just saw the movie and there are some Tiki aquarium decorations in a few scenes. nothing major but definitely cool to get some exposure in a big movie.

M

Pixar that John Lasseter wears only Reyn Spooner shirts

midnite error:

I mistakenly identified Lassiter as A. Stanton. That was Lassiter, the real genius behind Pixar on 60 minutes. He with the Aloha shirts, GI Joes, and Hot Wheels collection.

My bad. Still gonna see if Adams has heard of TC. I mean this place is huge, right? It's huge, Tiki central is huge. Big, like gets into the Viper Club huge.

Hope to see "Nemo" soon...the press sure is positive. Maybe a chance for Ellen D to finally be funny?

midnite

T

Thanks for finding info on the shirt. Disney channel's got the writer of Nemo talking to some kids about the movie wearing the shirt and I was wondering about it. Wonder no more. Tiki struck me as kinda Bosko

S

Finding Nemo is an excellent movie! My 5 year old son and I enjoyed it very much. It definitely appeals to all ages.

Ellen Degeneres did a very good job. Quite funny.......Also, I sometimes think of the person (actor) when they do a voice in animation, and that wasn't the case in this movie.

PS: There are 2 tiki statues in the fish tank, that appear in a brief "ritual" scene. Also an A frame bamboo hut. To be specific, they are also seen again in the credits, which you should stay for....

I think there's 3 tikis (or is it 2 tikis and the volcano?), the one on the right of the screen looked faintly like Shecky to me (angled eyes, full-toothed grin) :) :sheckymug:

~hanford

S

It looked like 2 tiki's. The 3rd was debatable, don't you think? I wasn't sure what to classify it as, a tiki wannabe?.....

A wee bit of a macabre opening sequence, but that's Disney for ya........

R
Rain posted on Sat, May 31, 2003 9:55 PM

I just came back from my self-caffeination mission at Borders, where I thumbed through the Finding Nemo "Art Of" book. I'm a big fan of these types of books anyway, but there are 2 or 3 spreads with concept art of the tikis, at least one piece of which I'd hang on my wall. Cool stuff.

T

Wasn't the volcano called "Wanna-hock-a-lugi"? (Someone better grab that name before it goes!!!)

R

Saw this last night and almost pissed myself laughing it was so funny! I was also happy to see they were unabashed about it being set in OZ (Australia to us Yanks), since I spent several years there. Big hoot if you are a Disney fan, love the sea and of course the tiki ritual with the fish wearing palm frond looking sea plants and Defoe as the MC is riot!

Fair dinkem, 12 step-er, 'Fisheaters Amonomous', ocker Aussie sharks, got to love it! :wink:

I still haven't seen this movie myself, but my daughter Olivia and my mom saw it and said it was very funny.

I stopped by McDonald's today for something to drink and saw they had a Nemo display, which is part of the Happy Meal toys for kids, and there it was....a puffer fish named Bloat. I thought that for 99 cents, without the Happy Meal, I could have my tiki-related thrill for the day so I bought one.

So I get home, open the package, and I figured that the designers from Disney/Pixar must have visited a tiki bar because I found that the Puffer can do this:

I thought it was pretty cool! You can keep him lit in your bar area by resting him on a quarter. There are 2 contact points that must be touched at the same time to keep it constantly on. You can even get it to do a blinking on/off sequence. There are 4 screws that hold the front and back of the puffer together, so you can change the battery after the juice runs out.

Just thought I'd share.

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-06-06 21:41 ]

Nice!! I'm of to Mc D's...
Oh, and SCD, go see the movie, it's a lot of fun and a bit of a tear jerker.

Aloha
:tiki:

S

As the mommy of a Finding Nemo fanatic,

BLOAT is the name of the puffer fish.

One (free) with every purchase of a Happy Meal.

C

I asked for it specifically and the clerk was so happy to get a customer that wanted it, that's all they had.

What a cool little centerpiece. I thought it would be golf ball sized, it's a bit bigger than a baseball.

McDonald's Happy Meal Page

Lisa Lisa

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2003-06-06 00:00 ]

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2003-06-06 00:01 ]

M

Well, being the king of the dipshits, I went to five McDonalds yesterday looking for it. Guess it hasn't made it to no. cal yet. It's too cool- gotta get one.

At least I didn't eat at five McDonalds yesterday. Not even one. But it was hard...sweet, sweet cheeseburger....

-martin

E

None at my local McD's in North Vancouver either. I bit my tongue hard to keep from making a spectacle of myself in front of all the nice families by screaming "Why are they in the f******g display case if you don't have any???"

Life is hard, eh?

:), em.

Well, being the king of the dipshits

My liege!

Now I will recite the chant of joy!

OWA - TANA - SIAM!

Say it out loud kids!

Actual discussion with McDonald's employee today:
"Which Nemo toy do you have?"
(Indicating display)"We have the fish."

"Really? You have THE fish? ...Which fish would that be?"
"The green one, the turtle."

T

We saw the movie last week and I was very impressed with the animation and story line. And the tiki inclusions were great.

And this next thing is off tiki-topic: Did anyone else notice that when Nemo is taken that the fishes comment on how it must be fishermen that took the fish. (Ok I can live with the fish having fishermen as an arch nemisis - makes sense). But after that one fish says, "I bet they are Americans!"

I have asked a few other that saw the movie what they thought about the film. All liked it but commented, "what was that part about them being Americans?"

Just curious to anyone's comments about that.

Thanks,

TB

Cool flick!

E

Got my Bloat! No, not my monthly bloat, but BLOAT THE PUFFER (and one for my bro natch).

yay,
emspace.

M

I took my daughter to Mickey D's for lunch to see if they had "Bloat", and sure enough he is the "Toy of the Week" on Maui. It has two contact points on the bottom and if you touch both the light comes on. I had my daughter touch one and I touched the other, then when I touched her nose, with my other hand, the light would come on. She thought it was great. I got her interested in the Happy Meal Box that becomes a puzzle so I could sneak away with the puffer.

Not to detract from MauiTiki's charming story in any way, but I think you'll find we had even a cuter episode with our four plastic puffer-fish toys last Friday.

Doctor Z, Z-Girl, Johnnie Velour, Lady Velour, Tikibelle and myself caused many envious chuckles from our fellow restaurant patrons when we discovered that if you place Bloat in a full pitcher of beer, his lights will immediately go on and he will sink slowly into the yellow depths like a luminous submarine as he fills up with brew.

Then, once you fish him out, (make sure there is not too much guacamole or sour cream on your hands as you do this), you can twist his pectoral fins and he will squirt a thin stream of beer, much like Ted Kennedy, at anyone you might accidentally point him at, even surprised people at nearby tables. All the while he will urinate a thin trickle of beer from his underside onto your table and Mexican food until he is empty. Place him on the wet table and he will eventually go into "strobe light" mode, flashing on and off while you disco dance around him. I tell you, we were the envy of all the folks around us, many of whom began leaving in a hurry - obviously to go to McDonalds and buy their own toys.

If you would like to join in a repeat performance of these shenanigans, please join us at Dos Amigos on the corner of PCH and Anza in Torrance any Friday evening.

• Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:*
    ..If you would like to join in a repeat performance of these shenanigans, please join us at Dos Amigos on the corner of PCH and Anza in Torrance any Friday evening.

Sabuuuuuuu!
What time do you guys get there?
Is it every Friday?

DZ

We're there almost without fail every Friday. We get there 'tween 7 and 8, stay til closing, then usually head to Hale Hawaii or back to my place. Let one of us know ahead of time & we'll save a seat for you!

Oh, but it is BYOB: Bring Your Own Bloat...

Thanks Z,

I wasn't able to catch SCD's post until today. Thanks for fielding it. FYI I won't be able to make Dos Amigos today, but should be back with the gang next week.

Sabu

Thanks Z & Sabu~

Today (Friday) may not work well for me, but I think next Friday might be good. Let's see who else we can get over there. Maybe Gecko?

S

On 2003-06-09 21:50, tikibob wrote:

And this next thing is off tiki-topic: Did anyone else notice that when Nemo is taken that the fishes comment on how it must be fishermen that took the fish. (Ok I can live with the fish having fishermen as an arch nemisis - makes sense). But after that one fish says, "I bet they are Americans!"

I have asked a few other that saw the movie what they thought about the film. All liked it but commented, "what was that part about them being Americans?"

Just curious to anyone's comments about that.

Thanks,

TB

Since my son has had us see it twice so far, maybe it's because a "French" fish says it, (like the way we always say. oh those "French") or perhaps because it takes place off the Coast of Australia?

eBay is full of people selling sets of the Happy Meal toys. The other night my little boy left "Marlon" in the bathtub and he decided to start "giggling" around 3am. Not very funny.

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:22 ]

Does anyone really know what time it is??

(remember that one a while back???)

(that's a shaka but the index finger won't curl up as of now)

0664/1000

Came in a cool brushed tin ( but my camera skills blow!)

I'm "Honored to da Max!!!" " Tiki Lee!!!"

Nemo swims around the 3 tikis in the tank "down under." Can't figure out how yet. Made by Fossil. Very sturdy!!.

p.s. speaking of 3 tiki's, be on the look out for code word "the Tiki 3" in the future.

On 2005-10-22 19:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
0664/1000

664: The Neighbor of the Beast...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9968372/Finding-Dory-sequel-to-Finding-Nemo-due-for-2015-release.html

Finding Nemo's long-anticipated sequel has been announced. It is called Finding Dory, stars Ellen Degeneres and will be released in November 2015.

Disney Pixar have announced that Finding Dory, the sequel to the studio's classic 2003 animation Finding Nemo, will be released in cinemas in 2015.

Comedian Ellen DeGeneres, who voiced Dory in the original film, thrilled Nemo fans when she spoke publicly about the film for the first time.

DeGeneres said the time Pixar had taken to make the sequel was "worth it", adding: "The script is fantastic. It has everything I loved about the first one: a lot of heart, it's really funny, and the best part is it's got a lot more Dory."

Dory is a blue tang fish with short-term memory loss who accompanies Nemo's father Marlin on his adventure to find his son. Although they are an unlikely pair, Dory's enthusiasm spurs them on to find Nemo. At the end of the first film, which won an Oscar for best animated feature, Dory befriends vegetarian sharks Bruce, Anchor and Chum.

No plot details have been revealed about Finding Dory yet, but the film is set on the California coast a year after Finding Nemo, so there is may be a chance to see how young turtle Squirt and Nemo's friends from the first film have grown up.

Pages: 1 40 replies