Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Where to Stay in Oahu?

Pages: 1 8 replies

We are making the trip to Hawaii. We plan on staying around the Waikiki area so we can experience the full tourist feel on our first trip- you know the black socks with our sandals thing (just kidding about that part). We do plan on heading to the country a little, too. The first stop is the Duke statue so I can have my picture taken, then we're off to do all the other touristy stuff we can fit into 10 days.

Can't wait to get some Musubi, and I hope to get to surf a little!!!

I'm wondering, can any of the local folks give me some input on hotels we are considering (see below). We are trying to do the hotel on the cheap to have money to spend on other stuff. What I'd like to hear is "this place is great, that place is a pit, the club on the ground floor is to loud" you know the kinda stuff you would want me to tell you if you or your family were coming to Denver.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time...

Maile Sky Court
Ohana Waikiki West
Waikiki Gateway Hotel
Island Colony Hotel
Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
Castle Hokele Suites
Aqua Aloha Surf
Aqua Waikiki Pearl
Aston Waikiki Joy Hotel
Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Ohana East
Ohana Waikiki Malia
Park Shore Waikiki Hotel
Ambassador Hotel of Waikiki
Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel
Royal Grove Hotel and Apartments

BBS, my wife and I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel about 10 years ago and it was very nice. Just across the street from the beach, on the end of the strip, within walking distance of all the cool stuff in Waikiki.

T

Full reviews of every hotel on Oahu:
http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/oahaerials.html

The Oahu Revealed book is a must buy, and the only guide book you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Oahu-Revealed-Ultimate-Honolulu-Revisited/dp/0981461026/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299479897&sr=8-1

There are threads on Tiki Central of where to find tikis and cool sites on Oahu. Here is a thread to get started:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=216&forum=16&148

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2011-03-06 22:39 ]

H

Not a local, but here's my two cents... We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Shores, which is a condo (possibly the only condo on Waikiki). It was great for a few reasons; not terribly expensive, we liked having a kitchen to save a little money on food, and it was right next door to Fort DeRussy Park, so you had some breathing room, unlike other parts of Waikiki. You could sit on the lanai and actually see the sunset instead of into the next-door hotel's windows. We stayed up around the 11th floor. The beach is smaller, but much less crowded than the rest of Waikiki.

This was in 2006, so hopefully the information isn't too out of date. If we ever return to Oahu, we'll probably stay there again.

T

I agree that having a kitchen for preparing at least one meal, or some sandwiches to take with you as you drive around the island, will save you some money.

Having said that, Oahu is a foodie's paradise.

The food at Diamond Head Market & Grill is amazing. It is a short drive from Waikiki and well worth it. It is gourmet food for around $10 a person.

There are only picnic tables outside to sit at, which can be directly in the sun in the morning, or you can take the food to go.
For breakfast, the banana or pumpkin (when they have them) pancakes are fantastic, as well as the Fried Rice.

For lunch and dinner, the fish and rice is great.

You can go inside the market for dessert, and you can try your spam musubi there.

Diamond Head Market & Grill
3158 Monsarrat Ave. Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

http://www.diamondheadmarket.com/BananaPanckaesPorkHashFriedRice.html

Also not a local, but will add my bit...One thing I remember from my past life as a travel agent was that the Ambassador Hotel was almost always the least expensive hotel offered in any of the packages. I seem to recall it appearing in an episode of Hawaii Five-0 once, which always gave it some appeal to me, but it always seemed to be presented as the bottom-of-the-barrel choice. However, I was suprised to see good reviews on tripadvisor.com, so maybe I was unfair.

I also distinctly remember the Maile Sky Court from those days - from the picture in the brochures it looked like the rooms were really closet-sized, with a lousy small window. There always seemed to be better looking choices (room quality & location) for the price.

A couple years ago I was booking a family trip & needed something nice enough for my parents but inexpensive enough for us to book a few rooms. I ended up choosing the Queen Kamehameha and was really happy with it. By comparison to other hotels, the price was great - I think we paid $109 per night, half a block from the beach, and I requested and got my ideal view - straight across at Diamond Head, with the ocean also in clear view. It is OLD, but it wasn't at all dirty and I'd easily stay there again. It's also in easy walking distance to Rainbow Drive-in, etc. I believe most rooms have balconies but some only windows, so make sure you pick the balcony.

Previously I stayed twice at the Aston Waikiki Circle. Also a great location right across from the beach. The rooms are small - especially the bathrooms due to the shape of building, but I kind of got a kick out of the wacky-shaped room. I was lucky enough to be on the front side both times. My stays there were several years ago but I imagine it's was a good price for the location/view in comparison to others. Apparently they've renovated recently.

I'll also second the recomendation for the Oahu Revealed book /wizard publications online listings. They're detailed and do give some of those local-perspective tips.

Its not on your list, but the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is my choice, because:

1. The beach across the street is not as crowded as others in Waikiki
  2. Free continental breakfast
  3. TIKI'S BAR & GRILL is located poolside
  4. Tiki torches adorn the patio (and one can buy one's own drinks poolside)
  5. Free hula dancing (often following breakfast)

Tripadvisor site:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60982-d86978-Reviews-Aston_Waikiki_Beach_Hotel-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Aloha,

I would suggest "The Breakers."

Maile Sky Court- Has a Pool Bar it's nice.
The Edition Waikiki is very nice. Built into the old Illkai.
VBRO might have Condo listings, on the Gold Coast @ the base of Diamond head.
Then your steps from the outrigger canoe club and locals Kaimania Beach Park.
If your going to have a car parking is expensive and very tight in Waikiki proper.

Also if you like my friend runs a fantastic adventure tour company. Just DM me.

Mahalos!

Pages: 1 8 replies