Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

KAHUNA KEVIN'S Spice Syrups - 5 recipes for you to experiment with.

Pages: 1 3 replies

Thanks to those who've purchased my cocktail book. Your support has given me the drive to push forward on the next volume and even beyond the 'standard' off the shelf cocktail...

So here you go, my creations are at your disposal! These 5 syrup recipes will be be included in Volume #2 and I'm hereby making them public domain for all to enjoy. Why? Because I want YOU to experiment with these syrups, either solo or in combinations, and send in YOUR recipes so I can post them to my KahunaKevin.com website and Facebook page. You'll receive full credit and your recipes will not be printed in any of my books. This is strictly internet only for anyone and everyone to instantly access and enjoy, if they so choose. You MUST use at least 1 of my syrups. That's the deal breaker for any submitted recipe.

Enjoy, and most importantly have fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with!
-KK

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39712&id=170497886330501&fbid=178493788864244

*One thing to note: The recipes are the original experimental batches which turned out very tasty. They're a bit on the thin side, so it might be better to cut back on 1/2 cup of water than listed. The citrus/juices/STROH rum used as a preservative should make up for the 1/2 cup water displacement and provide a more syrupy texture.

1. A kitchen or jeweler’s scale is also required for accurate measurements in Grams!
  2. A mortar & pestle is also highly recommended. Or use a hammer, whatever works…
  3. A large strainer & fine hand strainer are required, or your syrups will be chunky!

KAHUNA KEVIN’S Blackberry-Clove Spice Syrup
It looks like bloody horror captured in a jar, but it tastes absolutely delicious!

1.5 Cups filtered water
1.5 Cup organic unrefined C&H sugar
2 oz grade A maple syrup
1 oz STROH 80 (160 proof!)
130 Grams organic blackberries (approx. 25 lightly mash w/ fingers)
100 Grams sliced whole lemon wedges with skin (seeds are OK)
10 Grams dried whole cloves (crushed)
¼ Tsp. Tahitian Vanilla extract
1 dash Angostura bitters

Bring 1.5 Cups filtered water to a controlled low boil and add berries, lemon & cloves to the pot. Cover the pot, preferably using a clear glass lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, add sugar and maple syrup. Stir to completely dissolve the sugars then replace the pot lid. Return to a low simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally every 5 minutes. Back off heat as necessary… just enough to simmer, not enough to boil over or burn the sugars.

When done, sit the covered pot in a sink filled with enough cold water to allow the mix to cool quickly. When warm to the touch, strain through a large wire strainer into a bowl. Compress the remaining spices in the large strainer with a spoon to fully drain all liquids (i.e. lemon & blackberry juices) and then discard.

Strain for a second time into a mason jar using an extra fine hand strainer. Add 1 oz STROH 80 (160 proof) rum, ¼ Tsp. Tahitian Vanilla extract and 1 dash Angostura bitters to the mason jar. Thoroughly mix – this’ll keep everything fresh without refrigeration. Seal the mason jar and store in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Shake well before using.

KAHUNA KEVIN’S Lemongrass-Mint Spice Syrup
A hint of lemongrass, mint and cinnamon backed by a honey nectar sweetness!

1.5 Cups filtered water
1.5 Cup organic unrefined C&H sugar
2 oz grade A clover honey
20 Grams sliced whole lemongrass (1” cut & split segments)
15 Grams organic mint leafs (rinse w/ water first)
2 dashes ground cinnamon
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash Regan’s orange bitters No. 6

Bring 1.5 Cups filtered water to a controlled low boil, then add lemongrass and mint to the pot. Cover the pot, preferably using a clear glass lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, add sugar and honey. Stir to completely dissolve the sugars then replace the pot lid. Return to a low simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally every 5 minutes. Back off heat as necessary… just enough to simmer, not enough to boil over or burn the sugars.

When done, sit the covered pot in a sink filled with enough cold water to allow the mix to cool quickly. When warm to the touch, pour into a mason jar through a wire strainer. Compress the remaining spices in the large strainer with a spoon to fully drain all liquids (i.e. lemongrass & mint juices) and then discard.

Add 1 oz STROH 80 (160 proof) rum, 1 dash Angostura bitters, 1 dash Regan’s orange bitters No. 6, and 2 dashes of ground cinnamon to the mason jar. Thoroughly mix – this’ll keep everything fresh without refrigeration. Seal the mason jar and store in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Shake well before using.

KAHUNA KEVIN’S Over-Spice Syrup
Ominous & pitch black, my secret spicy monster is revealed! Muahahahaa!!!

1.5 Cups filtered water
1 Cup organic unrefined C&H sugar
½ Cup dark brown sugar (lightly packed)
1Tsp. organic ginger juice (www.GingerPeople.com)
1 Tsp. organic Tahitian vanilla extract
1 Tsp. grade A maple syrup
1 Tsp. grade A clover honey
1 Tsp. Irish Mist liqueur
20 Grams sliced whole lemon wedges with skin (seeds are OK)
20 Grams dried whole allspice (crushed)
10 Grams organic blackberries (lightly mash w/ fingers)
10 Grams dried organic whole cinnamon stick (crushed)
1.5 Grams organic mint leafs (rinse w/ water first)
1 Gram dried whole star anise (crushed with seeds)
1 Gram dried whole cloves (crushed)
1 Gram dried rosemary leafs (crushed)
0.5 Grams dried whole black peppercorns (approx. 15 crushed)
2 pinches dried ground nutmeg
1 dash Angostura bitters

Bring 1.5 Cups filtered water to a simmer and add all ingredients, except alcohol & bitters, to the pot. Stir thoroughly until sugars completely dissolve. Cover the pot, preferably using a clear glass lid, and set a timer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally every 5 minutes and back off heat as necessary… just enough to simmer, not enough to burn.

When done, sit the covered pot in a sink filled with enough cold water to allow the mix to cool quickly. When warm to the touch, strain into a mason jar. Compress the remaining spices in the strainer with a spoon to fully drain all liquids (i.e. lemon & blackberry juices, etc.) and then discard.

Add 1 oz STROH 80 (160 proof) rum, 1 Tsp. Irish Mist liqueur, 1 dash Angostura and Regan’s orange bitters No. 6 to the mason jar and thoroughly mix – this’ll keep everything fresh without refrigeration. Seal the mason jar and store in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Shake well before using.

KAHUNA KEVIN’S Orange-Ginger Spice Syrup
Subtle bitter orange and ginger notes followed by a hot & spicy sweetness.
1.5 Cups filtered water
1 Cup dark brown sugar (lightly packed)
½ Cup organic unrefined C&H sugar
1 oz STROH 80 (160 Proof!)
2 Tbsp. organic ginger juice (www.GingerPeople.com)
½ Tsp. Tahitian Vanilla extract
¼ Tsp. dried ground nutmeg
200 Grams diced organic orange wedges with skin (seeds are OK)
5 Grams dried organic whole cinnamon stick (crushed)
1 Grams dried whole allspice (crushed)
0.5 Grams dried rosemary leafs (crushed)
1 dash Angostura bitters

Bring 1.5 Cups filtered water to a controlled low boil and add oranges, ginger juice, vanilla and all dried spices to the pot. Cover the pot, preferably using a clear glass lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, add sugars. Stir to completely dissolve the sugars then replace the pot lid. Return to a low simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally every 5 minutes. Back off heat as necessary… just enough to simmer, not enough to boil over or burn the sugars.

When done, sit the covered pot in a sink filled with enough cold water to allow the mix to cool quickly. When warm to the touch, strain through a large wire strainer into a bowl. Lightly compress the remaining spices in the large strainer with a spoon to drain some liquids (i.e. orange juices), then discard.

Strain for a second time into a mason jar using an extra fine hand strainer. Add 1 oz STROH 80 (160 proof) rum, 1 dash Angostura bitters and 1 dash Regan’s orange bitters No. 6 to the mason jar. Thoroughly mix – this’ll keep everything fresh without refrigeration. Seal the mason jar and store in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Shake well before using.

KAHUNA KEVIN’S Raspberry-Fuji Apple Spice Syrup
Guaranteed to make somebody in the other room think you’re baking a pie!

1.5 Cups filtered water
1 Cup organic unrefined C&H sugar
½ Cup dark brown sugar (lightly packed)
170 Grams organic raspberries (lightly mash w/ fingers)
110 Grams diced organic fuji apple wedges with skin (seeds are OK)
6 Grams dried organic whole cinnamon stick (crushed)
1 dash Angostura bitters

Bring 1.5 Cups filtered water to a controlled low boil and add raspberries, diced apples and crushed cinnamon to the pot. Cover the pot, preferably using a clear glass lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, add sugars. Stir to completely dissolve the sugars then replace the pot lid. Return to a low simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally every 5 minutes. Back off heat as necessary… just enough to simmer, not enough to boil over or burn the sugars.

When done, sit the covered pot in a sink filled with enough cold water to allow the mix to cool quickly. When warm to the touch, strain through a large wire strainer into a bowl. Lightly compress the remaining spices in the large strainer with a spoon to drain some liquids (i.e. raspberry & apple juices), then discard.

Strain for a second time into a mason jar using an extra fine hand strainer. Add 1 oz STROH 80 (160 proof) rum and 1 dash Angostura bitters to the mason jar. Thoroughly mix – this’ll keep everything fresh without refrigeration. Seal the mason jar and store in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Shake well before using.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-03-17 22:33 ]

M

On 2011-03-17 16:22, MauiRose wrote:
Link's broken. Try this:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39712&id=170497886330501&fbid=178493788864244

Thanks for catching that!

Double-post deleted

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-03-17 16:26 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies