Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic says no to the fez !!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

Dateline San Francisco 1966. Seems Vic and the Shriners are having a bit of a disagreement. From back in the days when going out was a suit and tie event at Trader Vic's.

J

Friends don't let friends wear fezzes !!

J

And this is a sign !! Trader Vic is reaching out from beyond the grave. Heed his words of Tiki wisdom.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha! I am sorry Fez-lovers, but I have to admit I never like the darn things - worn by Tiki tipplers, that is. I appreciate them as art objects, they are great artifacts from a cult that naively engaged in Middle-Eastern exoticism just like Tiki culture engaged in South Seas exotics, yes- but you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one. I apologize, this is just my (and apparently John-O's) personal taste. But now that I have historic precedence, I am coming out as a fez dis-liker. :)

Ima let you finish, then Ima get my fez on!

Morocco Mole is the only one I can think of that doesn't look too silly in a fez.

I have been known to wear a fez on two occasions both of them at home though and not my favorite head cover by a long shot.

TM

On 2011-03-24 15:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha ha ha! I am sorry Fez-lovers, but I have to admit I never like the darn things - worn by Tiki tipplers, that is. I appreciate them as art objects, they are great artifacts from a cult that naively engaged in Middle-Eastern exoticism just like Tiki culture engaged in South Seas exotics, yes- but you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one. I apologize, this is just my (and apparently John-O's) personal taste. But now that I have historic precedence, I am coming out as a fez dis-liker. :)

Sorry to say, but you have to add Lucas Vigor into the anti-fez movement as well! I never liked them. They have more in common with the neo-tiki movement then classical poly-pop, INMHO.

Just like rockabilly, burlesque and hot rods, they are pop elements of American mid-century culture that really badly want to be part of Tiki, but are not -stylistically! I am, of course, as always, talking about the ART GENRE, the style. What you kids do in your spare time nowadays, in the Tiki Bar or at Tiki events, is a whole 'nother thing. :D Today's Neo-Tiki LIFESTYLE is its own animal, clearly. I abide.

A

I find fezes funny, and never understood the tiki connection. But that doesn't stop me from wanting one of the new Tiki Ti fezes.

Good example. I want one, too. I just don't wanna wear it. I appreciate many of the above genres of 50s and 60s pop, just like I appreciate 50s cars, Googie architecture, and Eames-ish furniture and design. They have been dug up from obscurity just like Tiki has, and deserve to be celebrated. Everybody can decide for themselves which they like best, and how they want to mix them together nowadays, it's a matter of personal taste.

Just to keep this thread fun here is a photo of why Tiki and the fez do not mix well. Yes that is me and my beautiful wife from our 2010 Christmas card shoot. And yes I am ashamed. :D

No, really Trav... on YOU it looks good! (And your wife looks lovely.)

I am proud to wear the fez I was awarded in the Fraternal Order of Maoi. Members of the FOM have sported their fezzes in many notable establishments in recent years to include Trader Vic's.

this is an interesting discussion in light of this piece of history.

for those of us who have been to the mai kai sporting a variety of headgear, it would seem that the mai kai in general frowns on hearwear in the dining area, but this has varied from time to time. of course they allow aloha shirts very readily.

which ties in to this original article. would this trader vic's have allowed a present-day tikiphile in, wearing an aloha shirt? probably not. the same dress code that forbade headwear in the dining room would also favor suits and ties in favor of aloha shirts.

just a little poi for thought...

On 2011-03-24 17:24, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
No, really Trav... on YOU it looks good! (And your wife looks lovely.)

But why, Trav, are you hiding your lovely Witco Wahine chair? Are you ashamed of IT....just like Eddie Kendricks seemed to be on his LP cover! :wink:

And rugbymatt: You are a cult within a cult - of course you must be proud! :)

I'm with Trailerpark Tiki.... Ima let you finish and then ima gonna go get my Fez on!

The Fez is an interesting conundrum in the Tiki World.

The Fez has (is) becoming quite synonymous with the Cocktail Culture, and I parenthetically qualify that because it always has been and is becoming more so again today so past and future tense both work.

Tiki and Cocktails are a natural pairing so it only makes sense that Fez would be showing up in Tiki settings particularly Tiki settings that cross over/with Cocktail Culture.

As fashion statements they are quite striking. At least they can be. But as a fashion the basic rules apply... you wear the Fez, the Fez doesn't wear you. And I know we have all seen plenty of examples where the Fez is wearing someone.

As historical statements they are truly fascinating, both recent and distant past. The Shriner Fez is the most commonly seen Fez, the ones with all the bling and Lodge and stuff. And the Shriners took their imagery from the desert regions where the Fez was common, therefore they took the Fez as one of their marks of honor. What makes Shriner Fez so interesting is the fact the Shriner's are still around and still doing their thing. There isn't quite so many of them around today, but they are still making a difference in the world and a making it better.

I have to go astray here for a minute and point out that wearing a Shriner's Fez when you are not, in fact, a Shriner is disrespectful. Shriner's earn their Fez and to wear one is considered a great honor. A group of Shriner's are not gonna follow you out to your car or anything, but having been through similar trials to earn my FOM Fez I can relate to what it means to wear that particular Badge of Honor and wear it with pride.

Anyway, enough soap box, back to the fun and etiquette of the Fez....

It is a Hat so should you remove it in the presence of a Lady?

It has no brim so should you, or how do you, tip your hat to a colleague?

It has its origins in middle-eastern religions so it is acceptable to ask someone to remove their Fez? Carried to an illogical extreme, would you ask someone to remove their yarmelke?

How many of you reading this thread are real and true Shriners? What's your opinion of the Fez?

I am intrigued by this "Fraternal Order of Moai" As a relatively new member of TC, I am wondering what does one do to 'earn' their FOM fez. I hope you don't have to kill someone because thats way too extreme for me. But I do shake up a mean Mai Tai and Zombie. I hope there isn't any crazy hazing party in which paddles and loincloths are involved.(Thank you, sir. May I have another!) Anyways, I never saw the connection to tiki either, except for that funny guy on Tiki Bar TV. Actually, I tend to wear my straw cowboy hat at my tiki bar because it is in my backyard under the hot Vegas sun. Come to think of it, I wear a few funny hats at my tiki bar. I guess I'm just a funny hat wearing kinda guy! lol

On 2011-03-24 18:59, Chip and Andy wrote:

As fashion statements they are quite striking. At least they can be. But as a fashion the basic rules apply... you wear the Fez, the Fez doesn't wear you. And I know we have all seen plenty of examples where the Fez is wearing someone.

Absolutely and well put! :lol:

Dear God, Trav! What does that woman see in you?

Aloha,

On 2011-03-24 15:13, Bora Boris wrote:
Morocco Mole is the only one I can think of that doesn't look too silly in a fez.

This man does not look too silly.

This is Bruce Holmberg. He is the Chairman of the Hospital Board of Governors of the Honolulu Shriners Hospitals for Children. I met him on Waikiki Beach this last weekend as they hosted a beach volleyball tournament and fundraiser for their organization. Shriners have a rich history in the islands and do wonderful work for children. We spoke for quite a while and he had very fond memories of the Tiki restaurants in the islands... Queen's Surf, Canlis, Tahitian Lanai, and many more... Let's not forget that a group of Shriners were the first guests at the Moana Hotel in 1903. Wear it or don't, I support their mission.

Nice sheet music cover Sven. I'd never seen that one before!

I don't think that a fez is intrinsic to tiki, but they are the only style of hats that go with my smoking jacket. Somehow a fedora just doesn't feel right with it.

seems to me, there was this thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=23950&forum=1&start=0 about the relevance of the fez to "tiki culture." i was reading this particular thread as the appropriateness of wearing one in a trader vic's, or by extention, any current tiki event.

i still think the point is relevant, that if we are discussing the fez through the lens of the policy of a trader vic's in 1966, we might also consider through that lens, the appropriateness of aloha shirts, tattoos, maori tongue gestures :) , etc. etc. etc.

T

I think a man of a certain comportment can pull it off...

S

I agree with Vic. You take your hat off, regardless. But, I can make exception if it were a Shriner event and they were in a private room or something, but not in a public space.

The Fez worn in irony, like the Trucker Cap, is okay. The Fez worn as kitsch-y un-cool as in the Cult of the Eye guys is okay. They are sort of in on the joke. Putting on a vintage Fez is okay. Just be careful about wearing a modern real one if you did not earn it. What a Shriner does to earn a fez is a lot. It has a lot of meaning, especially some of them. Not to be taken lightly. What the FOM do for theirs is trivial and light-hearted in comparison.

Ah to be a member of the funny hats club! Generally only other member think you look good in it!

S

On 2011-03-25 06:29, Johnny Dollar wrote:
seems to me, there was this thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=23950&forum=1&start=0 about the relevance of the fez to "tiki culture." i was reading this particular thread as the appropriateness of wearing one in a trader vic's, or by extention, any current tiki event.

i still think the point is relevant, that if we are discussing the fez through the lens of the policy of a trader vic's in 1966, we might also consider through that lens, the appropriateness of aloha shirts, tattoos, maori tongue gestures :) , etc. etc. etc.

Yes. Context. I am quite sure at that time none of us would have gotten in TV! You need a tie and jacket sir!

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2011-03-26 09:28 ]

i'm gonna suggest everyone nip into their rum supplies early today... :) this is an interesting conversation... even if there was an intent (unknown, unknowable) to incite flame, let's all be cool little fonzies and back off on infighting, m'kay? :) :)

xoxo,

j$

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2011-03-26 09:29 ]

it certainly seems like restaurants are not in the driver's seat anymore in today's economic climate, regarding enforcement of dress code.

even my favorite uber-swank steak house http://www.theprimerib.com/ that has had a "coat and tie" dress code for men since the 1960s, has relaxed that as of this year. and i am a little disappointed. but you can understand it.

T

On 2011-03-25 08:23, Johnny Dollar wrote:
it certainly seems like restaurants are not in the driver's seat anymore in today's economic climate, regarding enforcement of dress code.

even my favorite uber-swank steak house http://www.theprimerib.com/ that has had a "coat and tie" dress code for men since the 1960s, has relaxed that as of this year. and i am a little disappointed. but you can understand it.

Well that sucks. I can remember going in there a few years ago and one of our party took his coat off and they came right over to him and told him about the policy. It's just another thing that makes that place special.

As for the other remark that was made regarding the earning of a fez in the FOM. Swanky, as far as earning a fez, things have changed a lot since your days in the FOM. I have humbly and respectfully earned one and will now follow Johnny $'s lead. Stay Classy.

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2011-03-25 08:47 ]

I think that Fezzes have a certain aesthetic to them that is cool.
But it ain't my bag baby.
If I'm gonna wear a hat, it damn well better keep the sun off of my head and face and neck.

Jeff(btd)

T

Trav,

One must be exceedingly careful with the choice of companion when wearing a fez. You have chosen wisely, unlike the feckless fellows depicted in Shag's "Wives with Knives":

-Tom

Had to throw it in just in case you didn't vote. :P
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=4d8cf95fe24d8ee09c379c5b

If you're gonna wear a fez do it on a go-cart!

V

I understand some tiki people like to wear the fez, even if there is no direct link to the Polynesian Pop culture. Even the Hawaiian King Kalakaua liked to wear a fez !!

Some wear bowling shirts, rat fink tee shirts, lavalava, aloha shirts, tie... at tiki bars. It's their choices afterall.

S

The era of Tiki was also the height of Freemasonry. If you have not noticed, most of the white Masons you see, and that is, Shriners in fezes, are mostly old. The time the Masons expect from you is a thing of the past. We modern men can't imagine spending most of our evenings at the Hall away from our wives, family and home. I was a very young person to be interested in being a Mason in the 1990s. Le Droit Humaine is a good branch if any one is interested. The ONLY accepted Rite of Fremasonry that accepts women! A sodality rather than a Fraternity.

But what is interesting is that while the white Masons are largely dying off and going away, in the black communities, Masonry is on the rise! It has had a real rebirth in the last 2 decades and it hope will continue to live and thrive through new groups embracing it.

Also consider that every PResident of the United States has been a Mason except Abe Lincoln and JFK, and until recently the same is true of Supreme Court Justices and Generals... So, for Vic to ban the Fez in TV was something of a bold thing. A lot of very powerful people would have taken note. But, they also likely understood. They all were wearing suits to restaurants and taking off their hats and standing when a lady entered, etc. And they all had sworn oathes of secrecy, etc.

[ Edited by: swanky 2011-03-27 12:55 ]

W

most of the white Masons you see, and that is, Shriners in fezes, are mostly old.

True, though I'm a 30 year-old Shriner.

The time the Masons expect from you is a thing of the past. We modern men can't imagine spending most of our evenings at the Hall away from our wives, family and home.

Most men I know are more than happy to do so here & there (far from most evenings), and most women I know are glad to rid of us!

The ONLY accepted Rite of Fremasonry that accepts women!

NO accepted lodge of Freemasons accepts women.

But what is interesting is that while the white Masons are largely dying off and going away, in the black communities, Masonry is on the rise! It has had a real rebirth in the last 2 decades and it hope will continue to live and thrive through new groups embracing it.

Many Lodges are on the rise, Prince Hall and otherwise.

Also consider that every PResident of the United States has been a Mason except Abe Lincoln and JFK, and until recently the same is true of Supreme Court Justices and Generals...

Not true in the least.

Sorry to nit-pick, I just get sick of all the misinformation about Freemasonry, especially that which paints us as outdated, malevolent or worse. (Not saying that was your motive.)

J

On 2011-03-25 13:45, bigtikidude wrote:
I think that Fezzes have a certain aesthetic to them that is cool.
But it ain't my bag baby.
If I'm gonna wear a hat, it damn well better keep the sun off of my head and face and neck.

Jeff(btd)

I am with you. I think they are very cool. Love seeing Sidney Greenstreet wear his or the member of the tank crew in Kelly's Heroes.

But I don't have the balls to put one on myself....

[ Edited by: JackLord 2011-03-28 13:30 ]

A

On 2011-03-28 13:27, JackLord wrote:

That's not where you put them!

(Sorry, really I am.)

-Randy

I find it hard to take my cowboy hats off when I eat at a steak house. Are these rules still in effect?

B
BigD posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 10:50 AM

I am fervently anti bridge table.

[ Edited by: BigD 2011-03-29 10:51 ]

Did Vic also ban hot-rods, Jimmy Buffet, and tattooed strippers with faux-Betty Page haircuts?

On 2011-03-30 03:37, MrBaliHai wrote:
Did Vic also ban hot-rods, Jimmy Buffet, and tattooed strippers with faux-Betty Page haircuts?

lol

J

On 2011-03-28 13:48, aquarj wrote:

On 2011-03-28 13:27, JackLord wrote:

That's not where you put them!

(Sorry, really I am.)

-Randy

LOL! Good one!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies