Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Dating Orchids of Hawaii Marks

Pages: 1 9 replies

U

With nothing better to do this afternoon or at least not wanting to do anything better I thought I would post the different Orchids of Hawaii marks in my collection. I am hoping that someone will be able to comment on the chronology of the different marks. Some have just the name and Japan. Others have the name, the country, and the number plus they are in different order and positions on the bottom. I have also seen "Orchid?" mugs that just say JAPAN. How does one know for sure it is an Orchid mug. I am assuuming that the ones that say TAIWAN are newer than ones that say JAPAN. I apologize for the quality of some of the pics but all are readable if you look hard enough. I appreciate all comments even if it is "You must be nuts".

I'll bite-- You must be nuts. No really, I've figured everyone else knows how to date these tiki mugs and I'm the only one in the dark.

U

Well, I guess there are at least two of us.

Z

Three.

U

Would anyone know when Orchids moved their manufacturing site from Japan to Taiwan? Mahalo.

It's possible they may have produced some in Taiwan at the same time as in Japan. Some were also produced in the US, and I have one made in Korea (must be pre-Korean war).

U

TT,

Thanks for the info. Is your Korean one on Ooga?

It is: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/my/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=590&ind_mug_id=61837

Because there are so few Korean mugs, I wonder if they started producing them there shortly before the war started and then had to abandon production.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-08-12 12:20 ]

U

Strange glaze...Gotta keep my eye out.

I'm surprised so few people chimed in on this. Looks like everyone's focused on events right now.

Pages: 1 9 replies