Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mojave Oasis checklist

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

T

Our hosts (Amy & Chris) have been doing a lot of planning to make sure this weeekend is funtional, fun and safe for all . Because Ive seen the grounds and Ive done a lot of camping , Amy suggested I make a list for the ones who havent camped before or its been a while . Remember that the only thing close by is a Post office, a feed store and a gas station . If youre gonna need it, you better bring it because Barstow is 20 miles away . Most important is to bring your common sense. Think through your days and meal planning for what you will need .These are only suggestions and please feel free to add anything I forgot about .

Campsites: Bring a tent, tarp for underneath to repel ground moisture, carpet or bedroll or blanket for under your sleeping bags,stake your tent down because it gets real windy sometimes, bring hammer or hatchet to pound in stakes,trash bags for your tent,sweater or jacket for the windy nights,towels(paper and cloth)twine to make a clothesline to dry things,plenty of water(Ben and I were drinking a lot. the elements wear you down)sunscreen and hats ,chapstick and moisturizer,razor knife for cutting ,small tent broom ,sunglasses, first aid kit, ibuprofen , flashlights and batteries, electrical cords, lysol wipes etc. Keep your ice chest in the shade , in a tent and put a towel over it to insulate your ice.

Firepits: = tongs, water jugs. Dont put firepits on the grass. The radiant heat will burn it dead fast . Plus bring cash for the many things at the Outpost store onsite . I dont know if there will be an ATM there .

Cooking: all utensils, spices , pots, pans cutting boards you will need. Table to prep food, folding chairs ,sponge with scrubber for dishes, dish soap, bar soap,2 low plastic tubs to wash dishes(1 for soapy and 1 to rinse)waterjug for campsite (fires and hand washing), tumbler cups, matches or lighter for stoves and lanterns, EXTRA TOILET PAPER.

Showers: handled bag to carry everything to showers, sandals to shower in, soaps and hair products,towels. Remember that alot of people are there trying to use the bathrooms also. Try 5 minute showers, get in,get out and dress quick for the next person . And ladies please use your car mirrors to do your makeup like when your driving on the freeway (hahaha). That will ease the load at the bathrooms .

Lake: it has a muddy bottom and is a little slippery. Take your time walking in it . The squishy mud between your toes makes you feel like a kid again . There is a water trampoline but dont dive from it . The water is shallow . Its at your own risk .

Safety: Remeber to tell your kids as well as yourself that there are a lot of obstacles at a campsite and be aware of your surroundings . There are tentstakes, clotheslines , water spigots, sprinklers , gravel roads . Watch your step . You can imagine the pain of kicking a tenstake in the dark in your sandals . Ive done it .If you break a mug or something, pick it all up . A lot of us are wearing sandals . Watch for electrical cords and loose rocks . Tell your kids not to assume that things are cold to the touch just because they dont see a flame . Barbeques, firepits, lanterns and such are HOT long after the fire is out . FIRST AID KITS !!!!!!

Be respectful of other campers: Remember kindergarten rules. A few days of weather, sun , alcohol, wind and lack of sleep gets to everyone so check yourself when you can . We are all in close quarters . Try to be quiet after midnight for those not wanting to keep partying . Keep music levels down, ASK to borrow something, just dont take things . Take quick showers, Share when you can , Be helpful of others who dont know how, police your own children, dont complain, make the best of the situation and be part of the solution . Leave campsite as clean as when you arrived there. . Once again, these are ONLY SUGGESTIONS. Please feel free to add if Ive forgotten something . I hope you all have a great time . A lot of work has gone into this creation . Im sure your gonna be impressed .

Thanks Ray, I'm sure this will help. We will have a store, and we will have the nessesities in case you forget, so dont panic. we will also have plenty of water, soda, cookies, etc and ice on hand. we will be cooking from 2-6 on friday with choice of items, 8am-3pm on saturday with luau at 6:30, sunday breakfast. and Remember, have fun!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-04-07 15:57 ]

T

Good List Ray...thanx !

Toilet Paper....Something I would have for sure not thought of to bring.

8 days !

do we need to bring any anti-venoms for the snakes?
just wonderin.....

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 4:51 PM

In case of snakebite, just follow this simple procedure.

Ha, ha. :)

T

We always forget something . Thats camping . And the toilet paper mention is a "just in case" . Kinny, dont worry about the snakes. The Monitor lizards chased them out of there . But you wont see them . They only crawl around your tent at night . I hear there are a lot of Snipes in the area and its mating season . These are furry little critters though . Who's up for a Snipe hunt? Bring your pillow cases.

Did someone say snipe hunt?! I think we can put together a whole snipe hunting expedition!

*Aquasocks for the Lake is a Good Idea

• Evenings can get a little windy..Wind Breakers are a Good Idea Too!
    *Don't Forget Your Sunscreen!!!
    *Beach Chairs

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-04-07 17:40 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 5:38 PM

Furry little critters? A Snipe is a bird.

T

I guess Grog has nt camped and been on a real Snipe hunt . We will teach him .

The clay used to line the lake bed is from a famous lake down the road in Newberry.

It is "very SPAcial clay. If you go to SPAs, etc. you will know.

A thin wipe of it on your skin and a bake on the edge of the lake.....

nuff said.

DZ

On 2011-04-07 17:29, WooHooWahine wrote:

*Beach Chairs

Hmmm...

I've got a beach chair...

I just can't seem to find it...

On 2011-04-07 20:08, Doctor Z wrote:

*Beach Chairs

Hmmm...

The Magic of Mojave Oasis May Make that Chair Reappear :wink:

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-04-08 06:27 ]

What valuable tips from everyone! (Kinny excluded) :wink:

It's KILLING me that we're only going to be there for part of the weekend. Sigh.

Anyway, I haven't seen anyone mention bug spray and I always remember mosquitoes being a part of camping. Do we not need to worry about that in the desert?

*Beach Chairs

Hmmm...

Z,
I got 3 beach chairs,
if you can't find yers,
you can borrow 1 of mine.

Jeff(btd)

*Beach Chairs

Hmmm...

Z,
I got 3 beach chairs,
if you can't find yers,
you can borrow 1 of mine.

Jeff(btd)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2011 9:24 AM

On 2011-04-07 17:53, TIKI-RAY wrote:
I guess Grog has nt camped and been on a real Snipe hunt . We will teach him .

GROG from Texas, GROG know Snipe hunting.

On 2011-04-07 16:51, JOHN-O wrote:

That was AWESOME! Be prepared...Always remember to bring a pocket knife and a hot chick! Thanks John-O! Hahaha

Great list, thanks Ray! I've been trying to remember all the stuff from my former camping days... geez it's a lot of stuff! I think I need a trailer just to haul the camping supplies. :wink:

B

On 2011-04-08 11:09, Mekalekahaimekahainiho wrote:

On 2011-04-07 16:51, JOHN-O wrote:

That was AWESOME! Be prepared...Always remember to bring a pocket knife and a hot chick! Thanks John-O! Hahaha

I've got the pocket knife. I'm hoping I can get the hot chick there?

Here's some more things I'll be bringing to the Mojave next weekend..
Hopefully it'll inspire y'all!

1)Miner's Cradle and Pan
(you just never know when you'll be striking it rich!)

2)Inflatable Clown Suit
Can't wait to try this one out!

3)Fake Mustache
(For when i go into town....So i can blend in.)

1. Water Weenie
    (no explanation required!)

2. Not exactly tiki,but Hey! It's Mojave Oasis and we're WILD like that!

6)Giant inflatable water bubble
(This year I'm gonna mark the entrance/exit area..was stuck in this thing for a week last time! Almost starved!)

1. Grog asked to chime in and sent me this picture...
    It's him modeling his offering for the water fun inflatable club!
    A Very appropriate Cockroach Inflatable!
    Go get em Ernie!
    (and nice suit,i may add...)

Hope this helps!

cavemen came from texas? who'da thunk

I thought of something!:

A BATTERY CHARGER for your camera battery.

Nothing is more frustrating than wanting to take pics of fun with your friends and you are out of juice. The battery kind, I know there will be enough joy juice around. Actually, I heard there is gonna be an extra lake dug out. It'll be called "Lake Mai Tai", and everybody gets a cut off section of garden hose and....

6)Giant inflatable water bubble
(This year I'm gonna mark the entrance/exit area..was stuck in this thing for a week last time! Almost starved!)

I want a turn in the bubble! That looks pretty fun. Or we can put Lil Blue in it if she gets to be a pest...

B

re check list:

Don't forget to check to take your phone out of your pocket before you get all hammered and run screaming into that there lake!

Is there reception out there? Best place for the phone would be the glove compartment for the weekend.

On 2011-04-12 13:46, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
I want a turn in the bubble! That looks pretty fun. Or we can put Lil Blue in it if she gets to be a pest...

I don't know...it could be...ROVER!

Is that the WEIRD WHITE BOUNCY BALL FROM THE PRISONER series?
for a cheap prop,that thing was pretty scary!
Will there be a Rover on the grounds this weekend? :)

On 2011-04-08 17:45, little lost tiki wrote:

1)Miner's Cradle and Pan
(you just never know when you'll be striking it rich!)

they don't call it "Silver Valley" for nuthin!

Not that I'm going, but...
If anyone has one, you really should bring a telescope.

On 2011-04-12 15:50, little lost tiki wrote:
Will there be a Rover on the grounds this weekend? :)

Yes, and everybody will be riding one of THESE!:

...and here is the REAL map of the grounds:

:D

"Is there reception out there? Best place for the phone would be the glove compartment for the weekend."

Glove box seems like a good idea Sven. But I had good Verizon reception and other seemed to be talking on their phones no prob.

Checklist: $$$
Awesome t-shirts. Exclusive & collectible aloha shirts/dresses. Limited Event Mug. Inexpensive booze & food!!!

And batteries!!!!

On 2011-04-12 23:16, SoccerTiki wrote:
Checklist: $$$
Awesome t-shirts. Exclusive & collectible aloha shirts/dresses. Limited Event Mug. Inexpensive booze & food!!!

and Please don't forget the Artists and Vendors!
Come visit Little Lost Tiki's Vending Booth of Magical Bargains!
$5 and up!
Something for every economic strata!
From Hobo Joe to Franklin Fancypants!
Prints,paintings,bowls,monkeypods,drawings
you name it!
All your art and decor needs FULFILLED!
See y'alls THERE!
:)

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.