Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hip Original 1971 Ku value?

Pages: 1 2 replies

H

Found a Hip Original Ku, dated 1971 on the back on an internet auction. Starting bid is 5 bucks, but shipping is 5.50, plus packaging and handling at 2 bucks and insurance at a buck seventy five.

He's about 6 inches tall, 3 inches wide. I'm new at this collecting game, so I was wondering if he's worth the 14 bucks.

howlinowl

Depends how much you want it. Where I live, HIPs (and Coco Joe's) are fairly common in thrift stores and are seldom more than a few bucks, so for me, I'd say no, it's not worth it. Maybe you don't have the time or inclination to do any thrifting, or maybe where you live this kind of stuff is harder to find, so for you it may be worth it. I'd say 5 bucks is not an outrageous price for a HIP or CJ piece, and they're pretty hefty (the older ones, especially), so they're not going to be cheap to ship.

Hope this is helpful.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2011-04-08 17:48 ]

There's some factor in collecting relating to the length-of-time-since-your-last-find. Because if it's been a while, I'll pay more for something just to satisfy my "need". Another factor is the I-haven't-much-of-a-collection-yet factor. All of us had this in the beginning where you buy indiscriminately just to get going. Over time you get pickier in what you choose and how much you'll pay for it.

Pages: 1 2 replies