Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 644 replies

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jun 21, 2011 11:11 PM

On 2011-06-21 09:24, Swanky wrote:

2 free Margaritas! Dang! I want that... But, it's not worth a long walk to the events I suppose...

The Kings Inn has a cab/shuttle 24/7 so you don't have to drunk walk
for $2.61 more per night you are guaranteed a good night's sleep, awesome breakfast joint, and proper hotel amenities

For the first time in 4 years, I am super stoked to announce that:

The Surf Guitar 101 convention will be 1 week before Tiki Oasis.
So if you can get off a whole week.
Come out the weekend before Tiki Oasis,for the Surf Music Convention,
Then check out all the tiki bars in So. Cal. during the week between.
Hit the beach or the amusement parks during the day
Then GO to Tiki Oasis the following weekend.

More fun and entertainment than you can shake a stick at.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40410&forum=17&0

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-06-21 23:41 ]

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-06-21 23:51 ]

Is there any info on room crawl this year?

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2011 6:06 PM

no caption needed for this!

HT

Crazy Al said that he will gone for about a month traveling to check out Mustaches in different parts of the US and other countries. He may need letters of recommendation to enter some countries.

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2011 1:05 AM

Don't let Crazy Al win this contest
C'mon ladies and gentlemen, ENTER & VOTE

http://www.facebook.com/tikioasis?sk=app_154080781330981

http://www.tikioasis.com/2011/specialevents/

DZ

Lookin' at the ticket packages available, I see the descriptions on the VIP packages say "VIP entry to all symposiums /unless noted otherwise" Are there any 'unless noted otherwise' symposiums at this point?

B

Symposium Tickets are for sale!

So far all VIP passes cover ALL classes and special events this year!

QUICK LOOK at classes here! More will be announced

Martin Cate Cocktail Symposium, CSI: Cocktail!
3:30PM – 5:00PM, Saturday August 20th
Price: $35.00 - Limited Tickets Available at the Door

San Diego Vintage Tiki Tour
Hosted by Bosko
1:00PM - 2:00PM, Friday August 19th
Grand Pacific, Crowne Plaza
More Information
Price: $10.00

Exotica Ole' from Quiet Village
hosted by Jeff Chenault
10:30AM - 11:30AM, Saturday August 20th
More Information
Price: $15.00
Limited Tickets Available at the Door

San Diego's Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School
3:00PM – 6:00PM, Saturday August 20th
Peacock II, Crowne Plaza
More Inforamtion

Charles Phoenix Goes South of the Border
11:00AM – 12:30PM, Sunday August 21st
Grand Hanalei Ballroom, Crowne Plaza
More Information
Price: $18.00

The Agave Seminar with Jacques Bezuidenhout
3:30PM – 5:00PM, Friday August 19th
More Information
Price: $25.00

Surf Guitar Lessons with Jason Lee
More Information

Pin-up Hair & Make-up with Lady Borgia
3:00PM – 4:00PM, Saturday August 20th
More Information
Price: $15.00

Mai-Kai History, Mystery and Adventure
hosted by Tim "Swanky" Glazner
1:00PM – 2:00PM, Sunday August 21st
More Information

Oh yes!
Finally I'm quick enough to get cocktail symposium tickets!

flight and shelter booked...
stay outta my way! (nicely said)

B

Just to be clear, if we want to go to ANY of the Sunday symposiums (Charles Phoenix, Mai-Kai History) we need the full weekend wristband not the basic? I'm not staying for the Sunday evening showcase but would like to see the others.

B

here is the break down of the tickets for TIKI OASIS... let me know if you still have questions!

Basic Weekend Wristband = includes Thursday - Saturday (does NOT include symposiums or Sunday night!)

Full Weekend Wristband = includes Thursday - Sunday "Don Tiki" event (does NOT include symposiums!)

Age 6- 17 weekend pass = includes Thursday - Sunday "Don Tiki" event (does NOT include symposiums!)

VIP Wristband plus MUG = includes Thursday - Saturday AND entry to ALL CLASSES and SPECIAL EVENTS!! (Does NOT include Sunday night) 21 and over

Deluxe Wristband plus Mug = includes Thursday - Sunday "Don Tiki" event AND entry to ALL CLASSES and SPECIAL EVENTS!! 21 and over

You can also purchase tickets JUST for:
Thursday night
Sunday night
also you can purchase tickets JUST for any special events/classes/symposiums you want to check out

B

I guess what I'm asking is can I get a basic weekend wristband and buy the syposiums a la carte including Sunday's Charles Pheonix and the Mai-Kai history?

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 10:12 PM

On 2011-07-01 16:46, Bill5925 wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is can I get a basic weekend wristband and buy the syposiums a la carte including Sunday's Charles Pheonix and the Mai-Kai history?

We have provided numerous options including what you describe.
The only option we do not provide is a one day pass for Friday or Saturday because we prefer that folks buy in for the weekend and immerse themselves in the event rather than show up for one night

aloha TC friends,
Thanks for the invite as always from otto and baby doe askin the martini kings back to tiki oasis again.
unfortunately the marsico family is headed to orlando florida this summer in search of the tiki room at disney world with our kids!
everyone have a great time at oasis- if you haven't been there yet, what are you waiting for?!
hope to see you in 2012!
Mahalo!
tony marsico
the martini kings

SF

Question,Is this a hands on, should I bring a guitar, or is it more of a lecture/demo?

Surf Guitar Lessons with Jason Lee
More Information

B

On 2011-07-01 22:12, Otto wrote:

We have provided numerous options including what you describe.
The only option we do not provide is a one day pass for Friday or Saturday because we prefer that folks buy in for the weekend and immerse themselves in the event rather than show up for one night

Thank you. I'm looking forward to it. One last question... are you really sold out of Thurs-Sat VIP plus mug? Or can those (me!) with reservations at the hotel still get one?

CA

great shot WooooooHoooooooooo!!

hey Otto... the King needs to pull this one off again... up he might need a bigger Pinata???

H
harro posted on Thu, Jul 7, 2011 4:03 PM

Making the big trip from Aust to attend my first Oasis and looking forward to it!!

Would love to go the full experience and stay at the Crowne but will probably opt for a cheaper option like the Kings inn... unless anyone is up for sharing a twin at Crowne? - probably unlikely i know... Anyway, as my wife will be in NYC for a work trip that weekend, i'm happy to slum it in cheap digs and spend more on mai-tais!

And in keeping with the dodgy MO pic's in this thread - here's mine... I'll try to get the Mo-jo happening and fertilize the upper lip once again. This is me a few years ago at the end of MOvember, a charity fundraiser down here where guys grow a Mo for the month and have a big dress up bash at the end.

I
IKABOD posted on Fri, Jul 8, 2011 8:37 AM

Thers still volunteer positions available! Get yourself a free ticket and be apart of something greater than yourself! Checkout the open gig list and email Tiki Oasis volunteer dept. Info:

link to the spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgN4PhhltK0WdDRFTm9FYlFQb184ZTMtRHhPSFc0ZEE&hl=en_US

See what you like and then email us with a little description of your skills!

Email: [email protected]

Mohalo!

Ikabod

BV

I have tried to send an email but it gets rejected. My email says its not a real address. My wife and I have tried to let you know we want to volunteer in exchange for tickets. tThat we spoke with Martin Cate and he could use our help at his Saturday Symposium. 1:50-5:30. PLease helpus set this up if possible! Thanks, :)

BV

Hi folks! Tiki Hell will return to Tiki Oasis this year! Stay tune for more un-cool, horrible antics from the North Bay Rum Bums. Your going to hate the music AND the drinks.

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jul 10, 2011 12:15 AM

http://www.facebook.com/tikioasis?sk=app_154080781330981

not only is there going to be a mustache contest!!

There is already a sizable field entered in the Whipped Cream Girl Contest
Get your money out, place your bets, it's Whipped Cream & Other Delights!!!

woooo! we have a confirmed room party were playing. if any other room parties would like a band, Los SeaFinks will be playing that weekend, and is looking for another room to play!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Los-SeaFinks/152794888100042

B

I ask an awful lot of questions! Sorry but the web site ticket menu lists the Exotica Ole' as 10:30-11:30 Saturday (same time as Surf Guitar), but the details and ticket purchase as 1-2pm Tuesday. Can you please clarify?

J

Once upon a time, a long time ago
A thought was conjugated about a place to go
A place out in the country, a place with atmosphere
A place where you could go and drink a glass of beer

El Tiki, El Tiki, El Tiki is nice
El Tiki, El Tiki, is like paradise
On Highway 111, north of IVC
Mexican food from A to Z

Serving all your "South of the Border" Tiki needs since 1962 !!!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-10 18:14 ]

I

Hey kids theres plenty of volunteer spots for this years Tiki Oasis! Recently there was a major update that was updated again! Just this weekend more positions have been added due to the Sunday festivities! Here is your chance to get in on a grand opportunity! Meet people, be apart of Tiki Oasis like you've been before!
Heres the link to the latest volunteer update:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgN4PhhltK0WdGhFZ0RFUzhmenl2WFJRNHBocmd3b1E&hl=en_US

As usual look over the google spread sheet. Select a volunteer job you like and shoot me an email at: [email protected] Well discuss, and perhaps you can join us!

Ikabod!

H
harro posted on Mon, Jul 11, 2011 2:28 PM

On 2011-06-21 00:27, Otto wrote:

On 2011-06-17 00:08, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
I've been at the 6 for raider games. Not the Plaza, but I only sleep there so its ok. Plus, its F-ing luxury compared to the trailerpark! lol

For those who want a real vacation and are not staying at the Crowne Plaza, we have a special rate up the street at the very nice resort hotel The Handlery. This discounted rate ends a week from tomorrow - Wednesday, June 29

http://www.tikioasis.com/2011/hotelbooking/handlery/

http://www.handlery.com/

or if you want budget hotel that is not totally lame (yes, that's you Motel 6)
We recommend the vintage Kings Inn complete with Mexican Restaurant and Waffle Spot diner
http://www.tikioasis.com/2011/hotelbooking/kingsinn/

Tiki Oasis guests get $89 rate with two free margaritas for two or more night stay!!

Motel 6 is $86.39

After factoring in the margaritas you are saving money by going to a BETTER hotel - Kings Inn!?!

How do you get the $89 rate at kings Inn? I can't see where you input the voucher code...

I made reservations for the King's Inn and the manager's rate popped up for me and it was on average a better rate that the Oasis rate . . . that was a few weeks ago.

BV

I love the Kings Inn! The staff is always nice and The Waffle place is great for morning hang over breakfasts. I'll have you know that a few celebrities have stayed there along side me over the years. I will not say who because it might ruin their image but for instance, a "hospital show" actor, with their entourage, was there last year. :wink:

O
Otto posted on Mon, Jul 11, 2011 10:54 PM

On 2011-07-11 17:11, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
I made reservations for the King's Inn and the manager's rate popped up for me and it was on average a better rate that the Oasis rate . . . that was a few weeks ago.

Is this supposed to be a tip or is it a complaint?

If the Manager's Rate was cheaper you should use it. I book my rate in December the year before the event. Tiki Oasis is at the end of summer which is peak season. A lot can happen in the 6 - 8 months leading up to Tiki Oasis but at the time that I book my group it is the best rate they offer for that weekend.
I don't own the hotel! I can't control the rates.
The hotel game is complex, just like airline tickets. Rates vary based on supply and demand.
Right now the Manager's Rate is $101
But if you use the Tiki Oasis rate you get two free margaritas at their restaurant!

If you just want the cheapest rate go to Motel 6
The rate there was $86 for Fri/Sat a few weeks ago but somehow now it has dropped to $75
Not that I would stay in that dump, but if you are looking for the cheapest possible roof over your head go for it.

I cannot in good conscience recommend low quality hotels to my guests.

Mea culpa, it was not a complaint. I was pointing out that the Manager's rate was even better. Color me happy all the way around!

. . . it was a tip . . .

H
harro posted on Tue, Jul 12, 2011 5:20 AM

On 2011-07-11 22:54, Otto wrote:

Right now the Manager's Rate is $101
But if you use the Tiki Oasis rate you get two free margaritas at their restaurant!

If you just want the cheapest rate go to Motel 6
The rate there was $86 for Fri/Sat a few weeks ago but somehow now it has dropped to $75

For me, the Kings inn website is saying $108 per night for Fri-Mon - can't see how to get the Oasis rate.
And the Motel 6 is saying $105. Both from their direct hotel websites.
Any tips on what i'm doing wrong here?

Don't know about hotel rates, don't know about a lot of things. What I also don't know is WHO'S GOING? Lets get a role call happening! Lets get a room crawl started! Lets get ready to see all the great friends, new and old that some of us only see once a year! Lets make introductions and connections with all the wonderful people, bands and artists that Tiki Oasis gathers to help keep our Tiki community on a roll! I for one, am really excited about the bands this year. I also think we should all wear name-tags. Since my memory can be a little hazy I don't always remember everything and everyone I've met or spoke with. Come up and say ALOHA! This event is one of very few that gives us all an opportunity to celebrate the Tiki-Geek in us all.
I'll start.
My family and I are IN!!!
Anybody?

Matt, I'm all for the Tiki Central Name Tags then I don't to make up crazy shirts for myself

Maybe one of the resident TC graphic artists can post a name tag image for us to print!

I am always there to see the bands.
it always puzzles me when people say
" Oh I was at room party's and missed all of the bands"

you can drink anytime, and don't you wanna remember something,
especially since ya paid for it?

:wink:
Jeff(btd)

Was there bands last year, I don't remember?

P

Sometimes, missing a band is intentional.

To each his own. If people want to drink with friends, have good conversation and skip the bands, more power to them. I fluctuate between the two. Not in the mood for a particular sound? Unlimited options are available. BTD, you are a hardcore music guy. Of course you would rather see the bands. I mentioned being excited to see the bands earlier, true, but honestly I'm just excited that Tiki Oasis is close and I get to experience it again.
Cool shirt Mike. Anyone want to take on the name-tag idea?

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2011-07-12 20:29 ]

So looking forward to enjoying myself with all the awesome DJs that are lined up as background music. So much talent at one event--can't top that list for sure!

Will be awesome to see Big Sandy as well--esp since Robert (the lead singer) will be sure to be hitting some room parties during the weekend. He's a great guy whose fun to party with.

Can't wait!

H

On 2011-07-12 20:26, Matt Reese wrote:
.... Anyone want to take on the name-tag idea?

It used to be that the Crawl Cards doubled as a name tag.

Are there going to be Crawl Cards this year?

...Shelley? ...Dr. Shocker?

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jul 12, 2011 10:42 PM
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.