Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Brady Bunch Tiki

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

my wife has the theory that everyone within a certain age range selected one of the brady bunch kids to have a crush on. hers is peter and mine was cindy. which makes sense as she is a couple years older than me. (my wife, not cindy. that i know of)

Is this some kind of strange sickness we all have, or what?

I never knew there were other people that were just as obssessed and wierd as I am..Brady, Tiki, Disney.....where does it end?

For a goof, try googling "Johnny Lawrence" or "William zabka"(The bad guy from the Karate Kid) Some guy has a whole tribute page dedicated to this one guy, with scholarly research dissertations relating to Johnny.

I realize it has nothing to do with Brady, but it is equally obssessive.

My favorite Brady episode is the one where Greg is caught smoking.

So I got to work this morning, and began as usual deleting hoards of junk mail in my inbox. Suddenly my screen went black, with only a bright white, we're talking poltergeist blind you in an instant bright, stripe across the top of my screen. I re-started, and had the same result. My monitor was pooched! Fried!

Now I wish I hadn't taken that picture.

When we were little kids, my brother and I used to watch the re-runs after school. We had a contest every episode to see who could guess which episode it was just from the angle of the opening shot and the tempo of the theme. We could guess the right one every time. It STUNNED me later when I found out that 3 of my friends in college did the same thing with their siblings. I swear, I could answer pretty any BB trivia question you throw at me. It would be senseless on-line, what with google etc. but I swear, next time we're out, try me...

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple 2006-02-22 22:15 ]

tikiwahine - thanks for the photo! sorry your compooter got tabu'ed tho!

muggler: that is an awesome ytmnd!

mrs. p: here is your peter brady tiki bondage!:

sabu: here is your marcia bikini pic, you dirty old man :P :

J$ you're my hero.

T

On 2006-02-22 11:08, lucas vigor wrote:

You mean the one where he had that band The Banana Convention ? Good one.

The Hawaii episodes are KING tho'...that and the Amusement Park episode...That was at King's Island in Cincinati, OH. I went there in 1975 or 76. What a great place . I'm a huge Banana Splits fan ( I even named my dog FLEEGLE), I'll also note that the ultra groovy opening sequence to the Banana Splits was filmed there too.
The 70's ruled,

I may have already posted this on this thread when it first appeared but I didn't see it, so I must have imagined I posted it...When I moved to California, my roommate and I stopped at the Grand Canyon and sent our friends in Philadelphia a postcard that was written as if the entire Brady Bunch episode at the Grand Canyon had happened to us!!! and it took our friends until the "and then we rode mules to the bottom of the canyon and Alice made dinner..." to realize what was going on. SO, when Mr. Pineapple and I went to Hawaii a few years ago, we sent Otto and Baby Doe a postcard as if the entire Brady Bunch episode had happened to us, Otto totally got it! I have to say both postcards were really fun to write because it was so incredibly silly writing things like ' and then Mr Magoo came and stole our car!' And 'Rich found a cool tiki idol and he's going to enter a surf contest tomorrow! I'm taking hula class! A big mask fell on the bed, we weren't doing ANYTHING :wink: ' In both cases, there was alcohol involved! Have I mentioned how much I love the Brady Bunch??

thanks J$, mmmmm Peter Brady....

On 2006-02-22 11:08, lucas vigor wrote:

He wasn't smoking (Greg - was SMOKING!?!?!) He accidentally picked up the other guy in his band's school jacket and they were his cigarettes. Yes, how lame is that excuse? Very lame, BUT when my mom found cigarettes in my closet in the 10th grade, I told her I was holding them for my friend, Mary Morgan, and she believed me. Sorry Mary Morgan...

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple 2006-02-22 22:29 ]

Thanks much, J$. You're a saint!

Sabu

K

Just looked it up at Netflix..if anyone is interested, the Hawaii episodes are all on Season 4, disc 1.

T

On 2006-02-23 02:20, Kaiwaza wrote:
Just looked it up at Netflix..if anyone is interested, the Hawaii episodes are all on Season 4, disc 1.

Thanx...With all this Brady / Tiki episode talk on here, I went to Blockbuster to rent them, and they, of course, didn't have it. Now I need to go buy the DVD.

Here's a funny non TIKI Brady thing...it's an IKEA commercial...funny.

http://501post.com/DemoReels/OurWork/IKEA_BradyBunch.mov

J
john posted on Thu, Feb 23, 2006 10:07 AM

maybe you can take a hint from bobby an write to joe namath saying you're real sick, an he can feel bad an buy the dvds for you. :)

On 2006-02-22 22:59, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

LOL

This really cool piece of art titled "Marcia Tamähine" was done by Isabel Samaras and was hanging at the Tiki Art Now show in S.F awhile back. I really like this portrait of the Brady Hottie!
I too also dug this Brady Bunch Hawaii episode and this topic so much it inspired me to design a shirt. Take a look a the latest in Diddle-iddle-oo tabu tiki wear.

Chongolio

Although this is an old thread, I found this cool candle holder tiki. It is black ceramic and painted orange inside. Gives a great glow. Simply put a tea light down, light and cover.
It appears to be handmade in great quality ceramics. It is not an exact match, but I thought it looked like the Brady Tiki. I only paid three bucks at a garage sale.

Great grabs and research, everyone. I may have to check this DVD out!

diddle-iddle-ooo!

I packaged mine like this, and placed it among other Tiki artifacts:

It's the ultimate Tiki nerd test, only people like us get it.

On 2007-01-12 13:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
I packaged mine like this, and placed it among other Tiki artifacts:

Thanks for making me spray coffee out my nose and onto my monitor!!!

Looks like everyone is getting into the act
this place has a Brady Bunch tiki mug.
http://store.thundermall.com/bradybunch.html

K

BigBro-

Kudos on your ultimate tike nerd test.....that took quite the imagination! A very innovative visual for the tiki crowd. Thanks for reviving me during an otherwise routine day....

TH

Got my replica today!
So far, no bad luck :wink:

Big Bro:

That was hillarious...CLEVER! My replica is on the way after ordering it 5 months ago. Perhaps this thing is jinxed after all

photo repost:

T

So..BigBro....

WHO careved those Tikis in the BB Hawaiii episode. Being that alot of it was probably shot in Burbank, NOT Oahu, it was probably a Mainland carver....Bob and Leroy?...I've never heard them mentioned as carvers of any Tikis on the Brady Bunch.

Also, where did you get that Brady Bunch tiki (looks like a KU) you have in the little plastic case ?

On 2008-07-21 14:04, tikiyaki wrote:
So..BigBro....
WHO careved those Tikis in the BB Hawaiii episode. Being that alot of it was probably shot in Burbank, NOT Oahu, it was probably a Mainland carver....Bob and Leroy?...I've never heard them mentioned as carvers of any Tikis on the Brady Bunch.

I don't think they were from one specific carver...they look just like generic rental Tikis. I think they came from Sea & Jungle...or O.A., they used to rent that red fiberglass Pele head...but then again, maybe they took that over from S&J when they closed in the 80s. Those are great screen grabs, thanks for refreshing them

Also, where did you get that Brady Bunch tiki (looks like a KU) you have in the little plastic case ?

This nice Rockabilly kid named Brian made some years ago, and sold them to TCers here for a while. He is a specialty prop maker. He also made that 90s Levis ad Ku Tiki and gave me a copy of it. He lives in Burbank, I met Naomi at his backyard Tiki party, he had a German girlfriend, don't remember his last name...

Some of the Coco Joe's versions:

Buzzy Out!

T

On 2008-07-21 16:53, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2008-07-21 14:04, tikiyaki wrote:
So..BigBro....

I don't think they were from one specific carver...they look just like generic rental Tikis. I think they came from Sea & Jungle...or O.A., they used to rent that red fiberglass Pele head...but then again, maybe they took that over from S&J when they closed in the 80s. Those are great screen grabs, thanks for refreshing them

This nice Rockabilly kid named Brian made some years ago, and sold them to TCers here for a while. He is a specialty prop maker. He also made that 90s Levis ad Ku Tiki and gave me a copy of it. He lives in Burbank, I met Naomi at his backyard Tiki party, he had a German girlfriend, don't remember his last name...

Wow, I'd really like to get me one of those...He lives in my neighborhood too. Any contact info on him ? PM me if you do.

BTW...As much as I like CocoJoes stuff...if you really wanna have a surfing wipeout, or have a heavy wall hanging fall on your head, then get a Tiki made from Actual Hawaiian Lava.
Removing Lava from the islands is REALLY a bad idea. One visit to Volcano National Park or speaking with a local will teach you that.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-21 17:12 ]

Could the original Brady Bunch prop guy have been so cheap that he just painted a Coco Joe's Tiki white and aged it and it became THE bad luck Tiki? Will we ever know? :D

P.S.: Actually, scratch that thought. Looking at that screen grab of the Tiki at the construction site again, it looks like an even cheaper PLASTER cast of that Coco Joe's Ku. There used to be quite an array of souvenir Tikis made from plaster available back in the day, being sold at amusement parks and at the piers.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-21 17:28 ]

MT

On 2008-07-21 17:09, tikiyaki wrote:
Wow, I'd really like to get me one of those...He lives in my neighborhood too. Any contact info on him ? PM me if you do.

Diddle-iddle-ooo - I want one too! :)

Well that wasn't so hard, I just used the Search function, and here he is:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27508&forum=12

I just ordered mine...Sorry...HAD TO have it.

watch out for heavy wall hangings!

Hey! Stop dissing Witco! :lol:

T

I'm wearing it at the next Tikiyaki Gig...Let's see what happens !

B

Haha...yeah...thats my sculpture. He bought one off of us and recast it. He was selling them on ebay. Its one thing to sculpt a replica as a piece of art, but that jackass could at least do his own work. I can point out exact dents and texture spots in the piece. I still have the original baked sculpey clay to prove it. Just wanted to clear that up people. :)

[ Edited by: buddylove 2008-08-06 02:06 ]

Pages: 1 2 84 replies