Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New To Tiki

Pages: 1 7 replies

G
G posted on Thu, May 29, 2003 11:31 AM

my boyfriend and i started collecting tiki mugs about a year ago. we've had some luck finding tikis at fleamarkets and tag sales. so far the collection is up to about 20 mugs and 6 carvings. i was wondering how i would know if any of my mugs were "good finds". in my mind, there all good finds but i see people trying to sell tikis for so much loot. how do you know what you're tiki is worth?

Wut-Up G?

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Welcome to our dysfunctional little group. Nice to have a new collector on board. Regarding the value of your mugs, you can get an idea of the "going rate" by checking out eBay and seeing what they are closing for.

Of course, the true value of your mugs is totally subjective. What YOU are willing to pay for a particular mug could be completely different than what someone else is willing to pay for the same mug. Just as long as your happy with what you paid and happy with what you've got, then that's all that matters, right?

Welcome Aboard. :)

L

Hi G, Check out the gallery for history and information on tons of mugs, bowls, and more! No price guide but you can get info on how old or rare a mug is. Have fun,
http://www.tikiroom.net/database.html

G
G posted on Thu, May 29, 2003 1:31 PM

thanks for the info and warm welcome. these boards have been so helpful. i'm so glad i stumbled upon this place. everyone here seems so knowledgeable about tikis. recommend any books?

E
Erika posted on Thu, May 29, 2003 1:41 PM

On 2003-05-29 13:31, G wrote:
recommend any books?

Start here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/books/tabootomes.htm

Erika

As for your mugs - post a photo (see FAQ on how to do this) and undoubtably there will be a bunch of people willing to put a value on the ones you's got. Of course, prices are subject to change......

As far as books go, "The Book of Tiki" is the essential tome. You're head will be spinning from the sheer wealth of Tiki out there. A long-awaited House Industries book of mugs is, er, still long awaited. A taste of this instant classic was to be found in the first House Industries magazine. Superb crisp photography married with the crucial understanding of Tiki mugs.

Trader Woody

M

i see people trying to sell tikis for so much loot

Naaahhh, the bubble is over. Was a fun ride while it lasted, not unlike playing the OTC:BB stocks in early 2001. Remember when a Tiki Bob could go for six bills? Ahhh, them was the days.

I am now short Tiki mugs.

midnite gekko

TD

G-
i am quite new to this site too but i also enjoy collecting. i recently received the Book of Tiki(BOT) as a gift and can't say enough good things about it. it is super informative and has some really cool pictures too! it is sooo much fun to hit the flea markets for Tiki and come home and look up what you found in the BOT. good luck hunting.

Pages: 1 7 replies