Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this really a Trader Vic's coconut cup?

Pages: 1 13 replies

I recently purchased a Trader Vic's coconut cup online and was told it had an in-mold mark on the bottom. Upon inspecting the item, though, I found no such inscription and I'm wondering if some Trader Vic's coconut cups were manufactured as unmarked.

The cup was pretty inexpensive so ultimately I don't mind, too much. Still, I can't help but question its authenticity. It looks, for all intents and purposes, like the genuine article and is in great shape for being 50+ years old.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery? Thanks.

[ Edited by: DejaVoodoo 2011-05-05 07:09 ]

[ Edited by: DejaVoodoo 2011-05-05 09:30 ]

[ Edited by: DejaVoodoo 2011-05-05 09:45 ]

T

Pictures would probably help

On 2011-05-05 08:33, TikiPug wrote:
Pictures would probably help

You got it!

Here's a general view of the cup. You can see the rough, matte brown exterior and the smooth, glazed cream/white interior.

Next, check out the side and bottom.

Finally, here's a close up of the bottom of the cup. As you can see, it has an overall rough texture yet no visible marks, either inked/stamped on or indented from the mold.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all info provided about this supposed Trader Vic's coconut cup. When in doubt, ask the experts! :)

this isn't going to help you with your question, but I have a question of my own: why do your pictures look like that? Why do they have rounded corners? Do you run them through some kind of nostalgia filter?

On 2011-05-05 19:41, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
this isn't going to help you with your question, but I have a question of my own: why do your pictures look like that? Why do they have rounded corners? Do you run them through some kind of nostalgia filter?

I'm hoping you like the pictures looking like that? :)

No, I didn't run them through a nostalgia filter. I just made a quick border/frame in Photoshop and aged the whole image with an LP paper sleeve graphic I made a while back that actually has a bit of film grain and some dark and light "burnt" areas built right into it.

I find that whenever something needs a yellowed, sepia-toned look, I recycle the LP paper sleeve graphic cause I'm too lazy to make something new for each project. Anyway, I'm divulging too many of my graphic design secrets. :wink:

So, there's the bottom coconut cup photo, then the white rounded corner border/frame, and on top of everything is the LP paper sleeve graphic with the layer blend mode set to "Multiply." That's why my pictures look like that.

And actually, I think I saw another post on TC that had a similar effect applied to the pictures, with the rounded corners. There's no reason why my pictures can't also have a little style to them. Who says they have to have square corners? I only added a "mood" to my pictures. I didn't retouch or airbrush their contents.

I hope this answers your question! :D

1)I like the style of your pictures. 2)I appreciate that you have a good camera that show the details of your mug. 3)I suspect TV may have used some mugs without their name on it, but I believe others have used plain coconut mugs like this. I would say most likely this mug is not from TV. 4)But what do I know?

T

I would say yes, I found a set of TV coconut mugs and half had the logo the rest didn't, they all looked the same I always assumed they got them at the same place?

Bosko

UJ

I have three Trader Vic's coconut mugs like his in my collection. But the stamps are very distorted due to either the glaze running into the lettering or a hurried attempt to get the order filled and out the door. As you can see in these two pics, this is what the stamps on mine look like when you view them normally:

But the third pic I had to fandangle the lights and shut off the flash to get the best view of the stamp.

These are the same style of coconut mug that have the sloppy white glaze that simulates the white meat inside the nut. Here is a few shots of the top two mugs in the group:

On closer inspection of your pics, your mug looks as if it could have a similar, but obscenely faint hint of a "USA" on the bottom. But that could be a trick on the eye due to the glaze. I had always thought that there could be some out there that looked like these that other establishments may have used.

BTW love your picture presentation. Awesome job!

On 2011-05-05 20:05, DejaVoodoo wrote:

I like it. I was wondering if maybe you were shooting on film and sending it back to 1958 for processing! :)

On 2011-05-06 11:27, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

On 2011-05-05 20:05, DejaVoodoo wrote:

I like it. I was wondering if maybe you were shooting on film and sending it back to 1958 for processing! :)

:D How cool would THAT be?!

My thought is that it could be one of the older Trader Vics mugs.

Jeez kids, Trader Vic's or not, fact is it's just a crappy, cheapo, dime-a-dozen coconut mug!

(Sorry, I just had to say that. :) I realize I have the luxury of coming from the generation of collectors BEFORE big spoon and forks, colored Orchids of Hawaii Tikis and Viking Witco were scrutinized with the same fervor than Tradewinds mugs and Barney Wests. It's just that these kind of things are NOT what inspired me to describe Tiki as an art form!)

On 2011-05-25 11:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
Jeez kids, Trader Vic's or not, fact is it's just a crappy, cheapo, dime-a-dozen coconut mug!

(Sorry, I just had to say that. :) I realize I have the luxury of coming from the generation of collectors BEFORE big spoon and forks, colored Orchids of Hawaii Tikis and Viking Witco were scrutinized with the same fervor than Tradewinds mugs and Barney Wests. It's just that these kind of things are NOT what inspired me to describe Tiki as an art form!)

i wish i could "like" that

The chance find of a coconut mug like this is what started me on my collecting. For that reason, this humble piece has a special place. Before seeing this thread, I was sure it had no markings, then I held it in a light, turned it just right and . . . ta daaaa there it is! "Trader Vic USA". A small pleasure for some, but I'm into this for just such surprise discoveries. So, thanks DejaVoodoo and Unkle!

Pages: 1 13 replies