Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Hawaiian Hut, West Sacramento, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 5 replies

Name:Hawaiian Hut
Type:restaurant
Street:2400 W. Capitol Ave
City:West Sacramento
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:FR. 1-6232

Description:
Another lesser known polynesian themed restaurant from the Sacramento area. Judging by the address, there may have been a conncetion to this place and the mysterious Sacramento Tiki Bob's, which also listed an address on West Capitol in West Sacramento.

Later,

PTD

PTD,

Here is a little more info for you. I saw this matchbook on ebay and it advertises the Hawaiian Hut as being operated by Johnny Christmas - the same person who started the Zombie Hut.

I am thinking that Mr. Christmas started the Hawaiian Hut after he sold the Zombie Hut. Need a little phone book research to confirm some operating dates.

DC

Dusty,

More information posted about the cross-connection between the two in this article I posted this morning:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37968&forum=2&vpost=595424&hilite=Zombie Hut

Here is what the location looks like today:

Here is a copy of one of the menus:

Later,

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-06-29 06:46 ]

Found another matchcover from the Hawaiian Hut - this one lists the Stathos brothers as the owners.

DC

I was sent a link about the Zombie Hut in Sacramento Ca. and the reference to the Hawaiian hut as well. My sister was married to the son of Johnny & Ethel Quaresma ( Christmas ) and would I like to share the little bit that I know of these restaurants. Johnny Christmas and his wife Ethel had at least 3-4 well known restaurants in this area and the Hawaiian Hut came before the Zombie Hut. Mr. Christmas sold his property and subsequently the Zombie Hut to Mr. Hill who had been the main cook/chef at the restaurant. The Hawaiian Hut in West Sacramento was a well established night club restaurant that was very popular in the Sacramento area, when you entered the night club patrons were greeted by a glass encased shrunken head. The restaurant was known for an activity in which patrons would race across the dance floor on three legged rocking horses. My Nephew ( John Quaresma ) still has a set of the steeds from the club and we take them out on special occasions to reminisce about the family. The senior Johnny Christmas sold the Hawaiian Hut to the Stathos Bros. and the club continued for several years at the same location, the shrunken head was part of the sale.

Zom

Image from the Culinary Institute of America website.

Pages: 1 5 replies