Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Latex OMG!

Pages: 1 8 replies

Z

Okay, so I'm trying to get a handle on mug-making (no pun - old subject I know) and I used the non-sulfurous clay to attempt a simple Moai first-off which turned into a freakish Hugh Hefner-ish Moai thing. (No biggie, just larnin.)

Then someone gave me a free jar of "Mold Builder" liquid latex to build the mold. I thought "Wow, that should be easy!" until the second day into painting this thing and I'd already destroyed three of my nicer brushes. And I'm only done with 5 of the recommended 10 coats!? The brushes turn to rubber instantly.

You can see how the stuff coagulates after a few coats and it ain't gonna make 10 coats. Anyone familiar with this technique?

Help!

Mahalo,
zinctiki

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-31 16:15 ]

T

-"Looks Good"

ZincTiki, I have worked with that Mold Builder, it's a bit tedious making all those layers and allowing them to dry between layers - takes several days to make a mold. I think the real product to use for that is RTV (which is more expensive and I have not tried). Mold Builder does work well for small items and it's readily available at Michael's.

The real question is what do you want to accomplish with that latex mold? It cannot be used to slipcast mugs, you have to do that in a plaster mold. Sometimes a production run will create an original and make an RTV mold to make several masters, then use the masters to make several molds. But that is only if you plan on making several hundred mugs! (I'm not sure there is a market for several hundred mugs of Hugh Hefner in a captain's hat :lol: )

Here is a link to one of the definitive mold making threads by Babalu and Bowana. There are several other threads that include moldmaking, check out DanLovesTiki's thread for lots of mold making info. Also some in Swizzle's, BeachBumz' and MauiTiki's threads.

Looks like you've got some reading to do :D

Mike

When life hands you molasses, make rum

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-05-17 20:28 ]

Z

On 2011-05-17 20:25, MadDogMike wrote:
ZincTiki, I have worked with that Mold Builder, it's a bit tedious making all those layers and allowing them to dry between layers - takes several days to make a mold. I think the real product to use for that is RTV (which is more expensive and I have not tried). Mold Builder does work well for small items and it's readily available at Michael's.

The real question is what do you want to accomplish with that latex mold? It cannot be used to slipcast mugs, you have to do that in a plaster mold. Sometimes a production run will create an original and make an RTV mold to make several masters, then use the masters to make several molds. But that is only if you plan on making several hundred mugs! (I'm not sure there is a market for several hundred mugs of Hugh Hefner in a captain's hat :lol: )

Here is a link to one of the definitive mold making threads by Babalu and Bowana. There are several other threads that include moldmaking, check out DanLovesTiki's thread for lots of mold making info. Also some in Swizzle's, BeachBumz' and MauiTiki's threads.

Looks like you've got some reading to do :D

Yup, lotsa readin'. Thanks, Mike. The idea with this one was to make a wax from the mold then try an RTV. But, yeah, the master needs to be more tiki than Heff. I'm looking for a class/shop nearby similar to what Swizzle did, but no luck yet.

[getting on to reading TC threads]

Thanks again, Mike.

Z~

T

Did you ever get the latex to work?

T
Tabu posted on Mon, Jun 13, 2011 4:23 PM

To help stretch out the life of your brush when using latex try dipping the brush in some dish soap then squeezing it out before using the latex. You can clean the latex off between coats with the dish soap as well. It should help to keep the latex on your brush from drying out. At the stage in the photo you could try to use a wedge of sponge to stipple the latex on to the piece instead of a brush. Hope that helps in the future.

Z

Skip: no, he came completely apart when trying to remove the latex. Not fond of this method.

Tabu: thanks for the tips. I might try a more conventional method next time though.

Your mug really looked just like Huge good job. Mold making is hard work but figuring out undercuts is even harder. In the end its all worth the effort, Wendy

U
umeone posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2011 7:01 AM

Awe, Zinctiki, I'm sorry Heff didn't make it, I think he would have been a fun Mug! Keep working, gotta keep working! :) MDM you are just to funny! :lol:

Pages: 1 8 replies