Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Looking for 5' x 20' palm thatch

Pages: 1 6 replies

K

My little tiki bar's roof thatch has finally deteriorated to the point of looking 'ratty'. Some of you may say that it's just getting good but my wife doesn't think so. Anyway I have been searching the net for 5 foot by 20 foot palm thatch which is what I originally used. I think I got it from Garden Winds. The only thing I'm finding is 30 inch tall stuff. Also some 4' thatch. But I need 5 foot thatch to get any 'hangover' as the roof is 4 foot in length. I suppose I could overlap two 30 inchers but trying to avoid that.

Anybody got any ideas? The roof is pyramid shaped and 10 ft by 10 ft at the bottom edge. There is a 2 ft x 2 ft skylite at the top and it is 4 ft from that to the edge of the roof. Hope that's clear.

P
Polly posted on Thu, May 26, 2011 7:52 PM

You can call Benson's Import to see if they have the item you want.
Please Visit the online store; http://www.bambooandthatchetc.com/

On 2011-05-26 19:52, Polly wrote:
You can call Benson's Import to see if they have the item you want.
Please Visit the online store; http://www.bambooandthatchetc.com/

Polly, You should just say "We have it! Give me a call. I'll hook you up!"

ketchjb,

I looked through what bookmarked links I have. The majority of the widest thatch most of the sites had to offer was 4' width in various lengths of rolls or panels. But, the absolute widest I could find was one site that had 51"x60' commercial grade rolls. In other words, 4'3" wide rolls 60 ft long.

One of your other options would be to use the 30" rolls and overlap them as you mentioned, but there is also another option. There are a number of companies that sell and install palpas or palpa kits for the DIY-er. Since you already have a structure you might call around or email companies with an inquiry on the cost of just a palpa cover, or find a thatch umbrella cover, that would fit your roof. You would need a sizable umbrella cover to do it, probably 15-16 feet diameter to cover the diagonal depending on the pitch of the roof. You'd then need to cut out the center peak for your skylight. Not perfect, but a possible solution.

Good luck to you.

Bear

T

Garden Winds did have it a few weeks ago but I think they closed out a lot of what they were carrying since they sold it at a considerable discount from their normal prices.

On 2011-05-28 04:35, teamtom wrote:
Garden Winds did have it a few weeks ago but I think they closed out a lot of what they were carrying since they sold it at a considerable discount from their normal prices.

You mean this? Or did you mean this? It looks like they are closing out 4'x 5' panels, 2 panels for $25.00, but they do have the 5'x 20' rolls for $180.00.

Bear

T

No, I picked up the real woven thatch 5' x 20' for $40 each roll plus shipping. When I saw the price, I doubled my order!

Pages: 1 6 replies