Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Lucky 13 Clothing presents Tiki Highway at Don the Beachcomber - July 24th, 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 23, 2011 11:52 AM

Lucas love EVERYBODY. GROG love Lucas, too.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-07-23 11:53 ]

hahaha awe

J

Lucas has been "outed" by GROG !!

Closet Parrotheads are often the most publicly anti-Buffett.

:D

And wait what was this thread about ?? Oh, yeah...

See you all tomorrow !! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-23 13:02 ]

TM

That's very true, John-o....same thing with most homophobes....they tend to protest a little too much. But in this case, I can assure you I hate buffy. Die buffy die!

J

Heh. :D

Ernie,your tastes in females has VASTLY IMPROVED!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Tomorrow!
This is gonna be SO INCREDIBLE!!!!
mp is on his way to the studio from up NORTH
AS WE SPEAK!!!!!!!!!!
We gonna artjam and tomorrow
shoot down to the Lucky 13 Tiki Highway
to vend and drink and drink and vend and chit-chat!
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Come on down and visit us!

See

Y'all

Sooooooooooooooooooon!!!

H

Good day to be at Don the Beachcomber's ....Got some stuff...heard some stuff...ate some stuff...drank some stuff...saw a whole bunch of stuff !!!

Great to enjoy the finer things in life today...hot rods, classic cars, tikis, burlesque and rum.

T

Man what a great event but it was packed. Art and his crew didn't see all that coming and they were overwhelmed with customers. But they did their best and everyone had a great time. So much cool art and cars but the people are what make these events. I'm so sore from walking around so much after surgery but it was worth it to get out of the house and see all the people giving Cindy and I support till I recover 100%. Thanks to everyone trying to give up their chairs for me but I'm actually doing so much better and quicker than I thought. I'm feeling it today so ill get back to my icepack. Thank you all.

What an amazing event! Yeah, Don's was NOT prepared for the onslaught of the over 3,000 people who came through the event, but what a show!

It was HOT. And the drink lines were super long. I'm sure they will resolve these issues in the future though. For example, running the AC at full for a whole day before the event and having a separate bar for just beer. That would have fixed A LOT of the issues right there.

But to have a car show, an art show, and bands at DON'S?? It was an absolute dream come true for me.
I hope the good outweighed the bad for most of the new visitors to Don's and we end up getting some more regulars in there to help keep the place going!

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to Lucky 13, Tiki Farm, and Don's for hosting such a HUGE Event :)

A crazy day to be sure, It was great to see all the Artists & Vender's, Thank God! they where outside
Von Franco was one cool guy, ended up talking with him for awhile, lots of cool cars, cool artists etc.

Yea someone dropped the ball big time on organizing this or just so many more people came to it then was expected
hope they learn those lessons for the next one.

Big thanks to all the people & bands that still made it a fun day!

CaR ShOw WaS AMAZING !!! ThAnX 2 AlL :o

[ Edited by: TiKi TiFfY 2011-07-25 11:12 ]

J

It was surreal to see all of those hep kats and cool betties jam packed into Don's !! It was like some weird alternative 1950's dimensional portal opened up into our own Tiki world.

My observations:

1. The Don's staff worked like troopers. I will go into Tiki battle with them any time and any place.
  2. The Rockabilly/Hot Rod/Kustom Kulture crowd really like their beer !!
  3. What's up with all the neck tattoos ?? That might play in the OC but will get you shot in LA proper.
  4. Their cash was real. They seemed to be devouring up the Tiki art. :)

Sorry I missed the Hula Girls. :(

But I scored some Little Lost Tiki art (albeit non-digital, how old-fashioned !!), a Bamboo Ben frame, and the new Tikiyaki O. CD.

All in all, a Tiki productive day. :)

Wow!

That was a crazy gig!

Thanx to EVERYONE who came by and picked a lil
something up from us...

And, mucho thankx to Lucky 13, Holden and EVERYONE else.

Yee Haw!! Tiki Tiki !!

W

Came up from San Diego for the day and had a great time. Shout out to the bartenders who were courteous and friendly through the onslaught (and very generous with the Tequila shooters:).

HT

John-O Your the Ralph Storey of the Tiki Scene. Too bad you missed the Hula Girls. Had my picture take with "GROG'S" x girlfriend.

J

Awe....
I had soooo much fun and already bugged the Lucky 13 dudes about plans for next year. There was a running list of things to "fix" but Im honored to have been apart of it AND dance with The Hula Girls. Even if i had to strip in front of a very energetic 3 year old... awkward!!!

Part 1 of my Photo blog from the event on my Pineappleman's Tiki Blog

http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2011/07/tiki-highway-event-in-sunset-beach-july.html

[ Edited by: Pineappleman11 2011-07-25 14:19 ]

Great Event with a lot of great personalities. 80% of this crowd are not the people I see at other tiki events around California,But I would party with them any day of the week. Everyone was considerate to one another and had a cool Ohana vibe to them. This place was packed past it's abilities but the employee's handled it well. I am sure it will be fixed for future events. With the amount of people that were on hand you would have to bring in some hired gun's or Bonus staff because they seemed to have a lot of body's but still not enough to handle that many people......

Congrat's to Lucky 13 for a great 20 years and awesome party.
Congrat's to Art and Don the Beachcombers for opening up the door to such an event.

I will support both........

W

MT

had a wonderful time yesterday. my beau and i showed up around 12:15 and the place was already packed. the entertainment was great, the car show was great, and the drinks were great! looking forward to next year's event.

More pics please!

Had a wonderful time, showed up late and got my feet wet with vending, enjoyed seein all the art and meeting some new folks. Hope they do this again soon!

What a great day! Lot's cars, girls and drinks! Everyone was great the employees, vendors and guests to Don's. The day was warm but the ocean breeze was welcome. I had a blast. I hope this becomes a yearly event to look forward to! :)

Part 2 More from Tiki Highway.......

http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2011/07/tiki-highway-part-2-more-from-sunset.html

[ Edited by: Pineappleman11 2011-07-25 18:22 ]

One of the best cars at the show!

Tiki Farm entrance!

More pics of the day!

On 2011-07-25 16:41, Big Kahuna wrote:
More pics please!

facebook lucky13 or tikihighway.

good times!!!

Mahalo to all involved in putting on Tiki Highway. The Hula Girls played a great set, we picked up some really cool items from Tiki tOny, Ken Ruzic, and Bamboo Ben, and drank delicious cocktails from Don's. It was a fun crowd and kudos to all those at Don's who kept their cool (figuratively) during the day, despite the crowds.

I hope this was the first of many Tiki Highways!

kevin

T

On 2011-07-25 19:06, Tikiphantom wrote:

One of the best cars at the show!

best in SHow...IMO

Lost In Paradise: Tiki Highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuC8j6_fDr8

Mahaloz and Cheers!

Thank's Chris, a nice rundown of Sunday.

Stellar day! Thanks to all who showed up! After finishing hanging the art show at 4am and then comin' back and chalkin' the grounds with Dibroc at 7:15 am and then closin' it down and loadin' it up and bringin' it back... this old man was spent. Thanks to John, Julie & Mike for helpin' me out. I'm still tired. Looks like it's on again for next year btw.

Awesome, good to hear! I loved this event! Best of a worlds mixed together! Thanks to all involed for putting on a great event! Cya next year! :)

Great Event! So many old and new friends! A big Mahalo to all those that popped by our booths,and a big hug to those that left with a lil somethin somethin!
a Big Thank you to Holden,the entire lucky 13 crew,and especially MP and the Horne
for toleratin my shenanigans!

Here's some pix!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2144721184872.125640.1451540979&l=50d803ee22&type=1

Good times, great event!!

Mei-Mei, my new Besteeeee!!

I don't think once in the last 2 years when I have run into Francine & her husband
that she has not had her dog (Canine Appendage) with her.

Hey, here is Mei Mei's facebook page http://www.facebook.com/MeiMeiVelvet
Mei Mei also has her own doggie "Airstream Trailer"

Lots of you might remember them from Tiki Caliente.

Thanks Doug & Jane for the tasty treat again!

Here are some show left overs that we're offering at show prices still.

pg. 4

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32345&forum=12&start=45&48

Mahaloz!

Tried to have fun, just too crowded. Wanted to buy some of the artwork inside but couldn't get anyone who knew what was up with it. Did end up meeting Bill Collins and LOVED his tiki's, I'll be picking some of his work shortly.

Anybody catch the lady with the baby pig?? Definite highlight of the shin dig for me.

Izzat Tru..
Aug 26, 2012?

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2012-05-26 13:58 ]

Not hosted by Lucky 13 this year....

I am surprised no one is talking about this show. This event was mind blowing to see in person and it was great to see the "Tiki" artist being seen from outside groups. This was a fun show with a great mix or Tiki,Greasers,hotrod's,calendar girls,Rockabilly all getting along and respecting ever ones individuality.

These are the converts we need to fuel the fire to keep this seen alive for years to come.

I for one, look forward to going again

W

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2012-06-10 12:51 ]

[ Edited by: wildsville man 2012-06-30 23:58 ]

An official webpage is a good place to start

Tiki Highway

On 2012-06-10 12:50, Wildsville man wrote:
I am surprised know one is talking about this show. This event was mind blowing to see in person and it was great to see the "Tiki" artist being seen from outside groups. This was a fun show with a great mix or Tiki,Greasers,hotrod's,calendar girls,Rockabilly all getting along and respecting ever ones individuality.

These are the converts we need to fuel the fire to keep this seen alive for years to come.

I for one, look forward to going again

W

I could not agree more Rory. This event last summer was a blow out! There were practically no pictures of the event posted here though, maybe the peeps not lucky enough to attend didn't realize what they missed. If anyone has pics, please post. To second W, I too am looking forward to this!

For anyone who was bummed out about last year's heat and the crowds in the drink lines, I've been talking with the promoters and with Art and eveything is going to be addressed.

This is gonna be a GREAT event! I love the melding of tiki and cars and rockabilly!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies