Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Whats the latest on Trader Vics Chicago

Pages: 1 29 replies

M

Taking the Family to Chicago this weekend and was hoping to experience TV there. I got pimped the last time and they closed the old Palmer House location right before our trip. I heard this location is no longer serving food??? and only open 3 days a week??? Seems odd that a city like Chicago couldnt support a TV location.

If Trader Vic's could've stayed at the Palmer House, it'd still be doing well, imho. I haven't personally been there in some months, but all I'm hearing is gloom and doom. I suggest calling today after 4PM and try to get a hold of somebody there. For a Tiki experience I'd highly recommend Chef Shangri-La in the near west suburbs (right by Brookfield zoo).

i have heard through the grapevine that trader vics chicago is closed.

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2011-05-27 07:11 ]

M
M

Called and spoke with someone on the phone.. He seemed very helpful. I have reservations for my family for Saturday. He said they have a full menu. He said the company seems to want to take it in another direction aka bahama breeze, tommy bahama's and he is fighting to keep it going. He did say the drinks were being made the same and I could get my Mai Tai with no problems. Anyone know how far it is from Miricle mile to Vics. Looking forward to it!!!

On 2011-05-27 13:39, Matiki wrote:
Called and spoke with someone on the phone.. He seemed very helpful. I have reservations for my family for Saturday. He said they have a full menu. He said the company seems to want to take it in another direction aka bahama breeze, tommy bahama's and he is fighting to keep it going. He did say the drinks were being made the same and I could get my Mai Tai with no problems. Anyone know how far it is from Miricle mile to Vics. Looking forward to it!!!

Just two blocks west and one block north!

Trader Vics ownership needs a foot up their arses. They are so indifferent to the long standing product that has brought them such success. If they did things like ACTIVELY work to grow and sustain the BRAND NAME in ways like...oh, I don't know, keeping locations open (see Dallas, Texas), then they wouldn't have to pick their noses and contemplate turning their heritage into something trivial like a Bahama Breeze. I feel for the passionate TV folks that exercize a daily labor of love to keep their local locations true to the history AND operational!

C

please note that it is the franchise owner - not Trader Vic's corporate - who is considering going a different direction with the space in Chicago.

while sad, the closing of this location has been a long time coming, as all of us locals have unfortunately been watching the slow decline since Pallava left, as many of the other good wait staff, etc. from when the place opened having left. It has been very sad.

we were all so very happy to see The Trader return after being kicked-out of the Palmer House by the new owner of the hotel & we had very high hopes. It started off very well. But the place has not been what it should be in quite some time.

On 2011-05-28 07:20, croe67 wrote:
please note that it is the franchise owner - not Trader Vic's corporate - who is considering going a different direction with the space in Chicago.

while sad, the closing of this location has been a long time coming, as all of us locals have unfortunately been watching the slow decline since Pallava left, as many of the other good wait staff, etc. from when the place opened having left. It has been very sad.

we were all so very happy to see The Trader return after being kicked-out of the Palmer House by the new owner of the hotel & we had very high hopes. It started off very well. But the place has not been what it should be in quite some time.

You know, a franchise goes as a franchise is managed by parent corporation. I am not saying this owner isn't picking his own direction, but with a strong relationship and strong communications, a franchanize is less apt to want to wander away from a good thing -- if it is managed as a good thing. It is no lie, no sudden surprise that TV is a bit too ambiguous about its own identity and lacking a strong passion and focus. Again, the Dallas location and the company's lack of demonstrated desire to bring this back is case in point.

Trader Vics should still have a location in Dallas. Hell, they should have one in Houston for that matter. They should DEFINITELY have a location in Chicago as well. It is a crime how insignificant this company's heritage and reputation is to this very company.

We hit up Vic's a week ago this past Friday and were alarmed to find out that the dining room was closed, and the full menu was not being offered. The staff seemed pretty frazzled; it was obvious they were short-handed. I overheard a conversation between the waiter and the table behind us saying they'd "just had a bunch of people quit."

The scoop we got was that:

A.) The restaurant portion would become "something else." They weren't too sure what yet, but the dreaded word "sports bar" did pop up.
B.) They will still sell sushi and appetizers in the lounge area
C.) The lounge area and drink menu will remain in-tact.
D.) The hours will (at least for now) remain Thursday thru Sunday

So... at the moment, it seems like we'll at least have a spot to grab a Mai Tai, and the sushi is actually pretty decent for the price.

Even if just as a lounge, let's hope it can survive; The consistency of the food was always a bit on the dicey side anyway.

--Pete

A

What a corporation of cowards trader vics has become. They have a great, unique niche not filled by any other company, and what do they do? Run from it and take the low road by trying to morph into what has already been done by a thousand companies before them. We don't need the 1,001th new sushi restaurant, sports bar, bahama breeze, etc. I believe they would have had more success by going overboard on tiki only and leaving those other genres to the companies that are already doing them.

Who wants to watch a baseball game while listening to hawaiian music, or immerse oneself in Polynesia with a baseball game on? Either way IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

I go to Trader Vic's for a unique experience in dining and libations; not to have a pale version of sushi, eat caribbean food in a non-caribbean setting, and certainly not to watch the baseball game!! I will go to other establishments for those.

There efforts to follow the crowds won't work.

Anestiki

A

I feel this was the same problem with one of my favorite tiki restaurants here in Columbus, OH - Tropical Bistro.

They had great drinks and great food. What they were lacking (besides a good location) was the sense that when you walked into the restaurant, you left Columbus and entered Bora Bora. The illusion is part of the magic.

If Trader Vic's follows this recipe, they will be declaring bankruptcy as well soon.

M

Well stick a fork in it because it's over. We walked 10 blocks last night , wife and kids all excited. Though it was weird there was not a large sign. Walked in thought " wow kind of dark " sign on the door says " we are closed Memorial Weekend" this ticks me off because i had "reservations" according to the jackass I spoke with last weekend. If you are a restauraunt in Chicago the last weekend you would close would be Memorial Weekend for god sake.All you Chi Town Tikiphiles get ready to do some dumpster diving for some artifacts. Man I can't tell you how bumed I am. I got pimped on the Palmer House closing before my first trip and now this.

RIP TRADER VICS 2.0

On 2011-05-28 13:16, Ragbag Comics wrote:
We hit up Vic's a week ago this past Friday and were alarmed to find out that the dining room was closed, and the full menu was not being offered. The staff seemed pretty frazzled; it was obvious they were short-handed. I overheard a conversation between the waiter and the table behind us saying they'd "just had a bunch of people quit."

The scoop we got was that:

A.) The restaurant portion would become "something else." They weren't too sure what yet, but the dreaded word "sports bar" did pop up.
B.) They will still sell sushi and appetizers in the lounge area
C.) The lounge area and drink menu will remain in-tact.
D.) The hours will (at least for now) remain Thursday thru Sunday

So... at the moment, it seems like we'll at least have a spot to grab a Mai Tai, and the sushi is actually pretty decent for the price.

Even if just as a lounge, let's hope it can survive; The consistency of the food was always a bit on the dicey side anyway.

--Pete

Pete is correct.. However, they are temporarily closed dealing with something that I wil not post here.. They want to continue as a Trader Vics Lounge, and if corporate axes that, it MIGHT stay a tiki them under a new name... (hi Pete)

-Rudy
(The reigning Mai Tai champion of Trader Vics Chicago)

My fingers are crossed...

KD

This is really sad. If this managment is going to drop everything that made them a Trader Vic's, they should change their name as well,so not to mislead folks.

T

What you need to ask yourself what is Trader Vic's Corp selling
making money on?
They sell franchises, sauces, rum, and there is more than that
I would guess.
Plus THEY supply lots o stuff to the franchises AND take like 6% to 10%
of all the sales.
All this after selling the dream to the suckers opps... franchise owners
for like what Two hundred thousand,That's a guess could be more.
I would bet it's what half a mill, or a millon bucks to open a Trader Vic's
It's the suckers that buy into the Company that lose their shirts.
Look at the Kahiki it was all about the egg roll at the end.
That's what they made money on.
Don't know if the house of cards will still stand with no restaurants.
The Kahiki egg roll machine still goes on and on about how great the
restaurant they tore down was.
The new Trader vic's have no soul anyway,And their high priced.
I feel sorry for the people who buy into and put faith and lots of money into
that company as they are going to lose it all.
I'm sure that all of the parties here want the restaurants to make money.
But not enough people are buying what they are selling.

Go to the old places, you know the ones where the owner is in the back cooking
or out at the bar making drinks.
As they will be gone soon too.
Plus you will have a better time, Better food, better drinks, ECT...

there was always something cool about the old trader vics being in the basement of the palmer house - like a best kept secret. As much as we tried (and could afford ) to support the new vics the whole place has become annoying to deal with now. I think it's time for it to go bye-bye and like skip said- keep supporting those that have lasted this far.... hale kahiki, chef shangri-la, tong's tiki hut, new china tea, malehini terrace, and others that have thus far stood the test of time and fallen in and out of fashion. there's a reason they are still around. they have roots. unlike the traders which is all surface and no substance these days.

T

How many of you Chi town pepole missed the Berghoff.
They were Chicagos first liquor license after prohibition.
Cool place!
You just know Cpone was there at one time.
They are clsoed now and sell Beer and maybe other stuff.
Once they start selling their trade mark goods they see how easy
that is and say to heck with this restaurant crap.
Looks like they may be back!
http://www.theberghoff.com/

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-06-01 16:05 ]

Man, I'm gonna try that Berghoff restaurant next time I'm in Chi Town.

Thanks skip!! :)

Tipsy- I'd tend to agree with you. We're fortunate here in the Chicago area to have a bunch of cool, classic places to pick from. I'd add to your list of mighty fine ones the Breakers in Crystal Lake which has an excellent old-school vibe (and tasty drinks, if not wholly by the book), and Tiki Terrace which, despite being next to a Radio Shack, REALLY transmits that classic feel once you're inside!

'Course, nuttin' beats a Sunday afternoon at Hala Kahiki or grabbing a Dr. Fong at the Chef.

I hear the sentiments about Vic's not being the same, 'cuz it most certainly isn't. It'll still be a shame to see it go- both because, regardless of the rampant management and food issues, they DID do a good job making the place FEEL old and classy (TV screens be damned) and brought over much of the decor from the original locale (which was, of course, vastly superior), AND because for those of us living within the Chicago city limits, Vic's is the last fully-immersive (usually) Tiki destination you can get to easily on the CTA, and really the last one within city limits, period.

We gotta keep as many classic places afloat as we can hang onto before the Cheeseburger in Paradise's of the world make everything we hold dear walk the fried cheese plank.

Now a quick diversion for the Chicago people in the house (and tying into the other conversation...)

While we're traveling around the world and stopping off in Germany at the Berghoff, for those looking for a classic dining experience downtown, the Italian Village is about as classic as it gets, indoor water wheel, twinkling lights in the ceiling and all. Seriously- nothing has changed here in probably 60+ years.

The Berghoff ain't the same, that's true (though they ARE still going, at least as-of two years ago...) but German-wise (in terms of experience) y'can't do much better than the Chicago Brauhaus on North Lincoln, polka bands and all. For food, tho, I'd check out Resi's Bierstube on Irving Park.

OK... Diversion over... back to exotic and enchanting Polynesia, 'cuz there ain't nuttin' tiki about polka, sausage, and beer (no matter how much I enjoy it.)

I agree about the italian village- total throw back to the 50's. many of the same wait staff still work there. great place to check out to any of you coming to town.

On 2011-05-29 07:21, Matiki wrote:
... Though it was weird there was not a large sign. Walked in thought " wow kind of dark " sign on the door says " we are closed Memorial Weekend" ...

I happened to be in the neighborhood this morning. Indeed, the large sign is gone. There is a small carved wood sign on a stick and a couple tiki torches in the flower bed out front. Almost didn't notice them.

Walked in the lobby and the closed for memorial weekend signs were still up. Since this is (the following) Friday, I take it that means they weren't open last night, either.

TT

C

& their phone is now newly disconnected.

Stick a fork in it.

C

oops! double post!

[ Edited by: croe67 2011-06-03 11:04 ]

trader vics is done.... heard it closed 3 days ago.....anyone else ?

incidentally- though it doesn't matter now- traders was always closed on memorial day weekend as well as fourth of july. at least they were last year.....so that wasn't really an indication of anything but now it seems official.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-06-08 15:14 ]

Cabo Wabo?

KD

Very sad if confirmed. You think they could've at least have had a send-off "funeral" or party of some kind.

On 2011-06-09 07:24, Kill Devil wrote:
Very sad if confirmed. You think they could've at least have had a send-off "funeral" or party of some kind.

and this is very telling of the attitude with which the whole trader vics reopening was approached.....and why they have closed with no fanfare or farewell......

Our "déjà vu" sympathies, from Dallas.

On 2011-06-09 17:07, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Our "déjà vu" sympathies, from Dallas.

Precisely!!!

By the way, I also miss the Berghoff. great place for a few drinks and a brat before heading off to the old chicago Stadium to watch the Blackhawks.

Anywho, I just looked up "cluster" in the dictionary and it said, "see Trader Vic's ownership."

Pages: 1 29 replies