Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Huge Joplin, MO tornado and our own Tikijackalope

Pages: 1 3 replies

8T

As you probably have heard, it's been a BAD year for tornadoes in a lot of the USA so far this Spring. In fact, we were in a take cover Tornado Warning here in the Kansas City area yesterday for well over an hour. Luckily the damages were not bad here but one did hit in Sedalia, MO where the King Kamehameha House is. I have not found out if it is safe yet but will try to do so.

But the reason for this thread I'm posting is to tell you that I had been trying to contact my friend and fellow TC member Tikijackalope (Greg Holmes) who is from Joplin, MO. I know he is often on the road and actually doesn't live in Joplin but has family and friends there. I was sure that if he was not there, he would be soon. I tried to call him and also emailed but got not replies. I hoped that it was because he couldn't access the web or phone lines.

Anyway, Greg is a photographer and has a travel/Americana sightseeing blog which is so cool you have to visit. It was by checking and re-checking the blog that I finally learned that Greg WAS in Joplin on May, 22nd but he's OK. Although I haven't spoken to him yet, I hope to soon. Please take a few minutes to go to the blog, see his photos and watch the videos he shot as the storm raged.

http://www.blog.thelope.com/

The photo below was taken at my place the last time Tikijackalope visited us.
He is standing on the right (red shirt), I'm on the left.

Glad to hear "The Lope" is OK! Joplin is in a real mess right now and there's no quick fix for it. Hopefully in the weeks and months ahead the city can rebuild and recover.

K

I'm relieved to hear Greg is OK. One of my cousins lost her house & car but survived the tornado huddled in the bathtub with her cat. I'll check out Jackalope's blog right away.

Glad to hear all the locals weathered the storms.

We also spent part of an evening, then an afternoon in and out of the storm shelter. Very scary for this Northern raised-but now a midwestern Kansan.

Storm shelter is 8" thick concrete in the basement, so to make it less drab and traumatic to hide in, we tikified it. Now it's a welcoming safe zone...er, as welcoming as a concrete bunker can be.

LavaLounger hiding in KS

Pages: 1 3 replies