Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Stars Walk of Fame (or as close as I could get)

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies

Exotica

Some "House of Bamboo"

Starlets

Hawaiian Eye

Hawaii 5-O

Magnum, P.I.

Gilligan’s Island

Entrepreneurs

Walt Disney, Frances Langford and Horace Heidt each have 2 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame but Horace Heidt also has a star on the Palm Springs Walk of Stars which is where It would be cool to see a Don The Beachcomber star.

Throwing in some Calypso

And for Big Tiki Dude I’m throwing in these guys -

I know, I know “The Ventures aren’t surf” but I’m also throwing in this guy! :down:

So there you have it. Please allow me a little latitude, there really isn’t that much to work with and if you think of anyone I’ve missed that has a star let me know and I’ll add them. I know there are a couple in Las Vegas that I can add.

I had to drive to Newhall to get Robert Conrad. :-?

VERY cool idea, Boris! And a lot of work, thank you! But didya have to put in that big fat star for TOM SELLECK!? :roll:

:lol: He's the only one from the show so it goes big.

I like how his star is for film when the majority of his career is in television. :roll:

Still, his era is the post-Tiki period, in the same vein than Fantasy Island. Village People-mustached dudes do not appear in MY ideal Tiki world. :)

On 2011-05-30 22:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Village People-mustached dudes do not appear in MY ideal Tiki world. :)

:lol: That's hilarious, nor would they appear in mine. I think most people here would also agree.

J

How about Hawaiiannette Funnicello ??

And if we're going to include Surf music icons, then all of her AIP Beach Party pictures should count for something. (Although I know BTD is going to lecture me on the difference between Surf music and Beach music).

And I can't believe Don Ho doesn't have a star. :( :( :(

Good call John-O!

J

On 2011-05-30 23:14, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2011-05-30 22:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Village People-mustached dudes do not appear in MY ideal Tiki world. :)

:lol: That's hilarious, nor would they appear in mine. I think most people here would also agree.

Ahem, I think the hundreds of people attending this year's Tiki Oasis might beg to differ...

But that discussion is probably best left to a another thread. :D

J

This might be stretching things a bit (let me know if it is), but here's a bit of trivia I recently learned (a la Digitiki).

William Holden was responsible for promoting at least one Exotica recording...

As well as being no stranger to the "Mysteries of the Orient"...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-05-31 01:53 ]

J

And get this, Kermit the Frog has a star (even though the Muppets did go Hawaiian with a talking Moai no less)...

A green felt puppet gets a star and NOT Don Ho ?? !!

That makes me mad. :evil:

John-O, you are reaching a little too far there - just like this year's Tiki Oasis is really reaching with their "Tijuana Brass" theme. If so, it would be Warren Barker who'd deserve a star in the Tiki Walk-of-fame, not Bill Holden. And just because your repeated whining about Don Ho, I will repeat what I wrote in "The Sound of Tiki":"Don Ho is often mentioned in conjunction with Tiki style, a fact which calls for some differentiation. Although Hawaii and Hawaiian tourism were the inspiration for Tiki culture, it was the American mainland where Tiki was turned into an art form. And though Ho clearly is the master of Hawaiian schmaltz, his career did not take off until the second half of the 60s, after the Tiki trend had peaked. Stylistically, Don Ho is to Tiki style what the 70s Elvis is to Rock ’n’ Roll: Part of the whole phenomenon, yet a sign of its end being near."

Now is there a Jimmy Buffet star, so we can start the "Tiki Walk-of-Shame" ? :D

J

I think you have to reach a little otherwise this thread's going to end with Boris's original post. One approach might be the identification of any obscure or interesting Tiki-related fact to a well known Walk of Fame Star (It's your call Boris).

How about Eleanor Powell as documented in her Pre-Tiki performances here?

Watch the first clip and I think you'll agree. It's a definite Hollywood take on Poly-Pop and I understand it's considered to be one of her most iconic performances.

A

I like how his star is for film when the majority of his career is in television. :roll:

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed. A real headscratcher. Although some people have more than one star, so maybe he has another for TV. But what has he done in film that merits a star? Nothing comes to mind.

J

His mother Helen Hayes was juiced up with the nomination committee. :D

On 2011-05-30 22:41, Bora Boris wrote:
:lol: He's the only one from the show so it goes big.

Well he was so close to being "Indiana Jones" and would of been if the Magnum P.I. execs had chosen to ease up on his TV contract.

Any room for the Ratpack here?

Arriano and Chuck,

It looks like he got his star when Three Men and a Baby was close to being released so maybe that's why they went with film?

John-O, you're thinking of James MacArthur not Tom Selleck and William Holden is Jungle Style all the way! Plus he drank Campari so No!

The Rat Pack? I think each one of those guys except for Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop has 3 stars and just mentioning that is enough for me.

Wait a second! Now that you've mentioned it - Sinatra in From Here to Eternity is pretty great and he was the biggest Magnum P.I. guest star so I will add him to the Magnum P.I. spot.

J

Mitzi Gaynor is on page 122 of BOT !!

Those European film poster graphics are the best! You don't necessarily recognize the actors :lol: , but I like that they are all painted, not photos:

So now that we have gone from "People-on-the-Walk-of-Fame-that-had-an-impact-on-Tiki" to "Any-Hollwood-Star-that-ever-played-in-a-South Seas-Movie" just to keep this game going...

...just a word of caution: Let's ask ourselves: How far will we go just to "keep things going" because "everything has already been done in Tiki"? Is the only choice to either stay true to the style and face STAGNATION, or opening it to whatever has intersected with it at some point, and thus WATERING DOWN and loosing the essence of the concept? And where is the fine line between the two?

I really do appreciate the DESIRE TO CONTRIBUTE from fans of other pop cultures, yet should that lead to posting just anything with a loose connection to the South Seas or Lounge culture as belonging to a TIKI-specific Walk-of-Fame? That "Chuck Tatum is Tiki" thing is a dangerous road to walk down, friends of Tiki (nothing against Chuck, which I am sure is a nice fella!) This message is just something to think about...

This one is the MOST Tiki! :)

So now I am a danger to Tiki Central? :lol:
I think you have over thought my choice of TC names,BigBro most of the cool names had already been taken after all
So I just combined my love of classic movies and Tiki into one name, I did not put much other thought into the choice.

So please don't allow my existence as a new member here to be the downfall of Tiki Central :drink:

CTiT

J

On 2011-05-31 12:53, bigbrotiki wrote:
So now that we have gone from "People-on-the-Walk-of-Fame-that-had-an-impact-on-Tiki" to "Any-Hollywood-Star-that-ever-played-in-a-South Seas-Movie" just to keep this game going...

Actually I viewed this thread as the latter, i.e. "What connection (if any) does a HWOF star have to Tiki/Poly-Pop" vs. a literal "Tiki Walk of Fame". Boris's original inclusion of Calypso, Surf, Hawaii 5-0, and Magnum P.I. would support that take I think.

I see it this way, a couple of Tikiphiles walk down Hollywood Blvd. At each star they play Tiki trivia and ask "What connection does this person have to Tiki?"

It might be:

1. Significant as in the case of Les Baxter.
  2. Obscure as in the case of Bill Holden.
  3. Ridiculous as in the case of Jim Backus.

Not every thread has to be an academic definition or acknowledgement of Tiki-style.

Right ? :)

Boris, if that was your intent then I stand corrected.

well at least this thread is based in Hollywood culture and was that not where Tiki started after all.

On 2011-05-31 13:07, TIKI-TONGA wrote:
This one is the MOST Tiki! :)

Nice one Tiki-Tonga :lol: I thought about trying to fake a star but knew I didn't have the skilz to pull it off :)

What? No love for Jon Hall? And where are Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman? I know there may not be stars for them on the HWoF, but they deserve spots on... Well... Is it the Tiki Walk of Fame, or should it be the Walk of Tiki Fame?

Bear

Yeah I would say if there is ONE rule for this thread, any star mentioned should have a star - on SOME sidewalk. And yes, that Boris star is a thing of beauty indeed, a fitting award for the work he put in into opening this thread.

And please folks, I am only providing food for thought above. I like John-O's concept as an expansion on Boris' post. And I think CTIT, that, (after realizing I misunderstood the concept of your name, seeking info on the WWII vet), I did welcome you on TC with the Kirk Douglas-at-the Luau connection. :)

You simply are a fitting example of what I mentioned above, by yourself stating your reasons for your moniker being
A.) you like classic movies, and
B.) that so many names have been taken on TC.

Sorry, I didn't make that up -your name IS somewhat stretching the envelope - not "a threat to TC"

It is funny that you mention that BigBro, as the other people from TC that I have met in the last few weeks
really seem to think that my TC name stands out for some reason, I have been asked about its origin quite a bit
I only wish I had a better story to tell.

And sadly it has shown a major lack of knowledge in classic cinema from many people also.

On 2011-05-31 15:12, bigbrotiki wrote:

Sorry, I didn't make that up -your name IS somewhat stretching the envelope - not "a threat to TC"

Then again so are most of the TC names here, might I dare your own? :) :) :)
it's a cyclical argument if you will, one in which you would have to include many other users TC handles as examples.

Sorry Bora Boris for straying off the topic :lol:

J

On 2011-05-31 14:36, Brudda Bear wrote:

What? No love for Jon Hall?...

Back on topic !!

Great point Bear, if Poly-Pop has a leading man then who better than Jon Hall? I think that guy was in almost a dozen Polynesian themed films, one of which inspired the name of a Tiki bar.

FI in Alameda actually displays this poster... And he has a star :)...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-05-31 19:22 ]

Hall was also the son of a Tahitian princess.

Bear

Good find, John-O! Most South Sea movies were B-movies, and few B actors got Walk-of-fame stars. But then again, the criteria for getting a star are not that clear, either. :)

And Chuck, I love classic Hollywood films too (that's why I ended up here in town), and too am saddened that nowadays kids think of "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when you mention that term.

Here is one star from the faaar stretch corner:

WHOOO will get this one? :D

As I said, it IS a far stretch:

This is the place were lil' John Connor was conceived - just a dingy old Motel!

Nice! :D

I’m glad that we’re back on Topic (I think).

TIKI-TONGA I love my star. Thank you.

So moving forward what about statues? Like the Jack Lord bust at the Kahala Mall, The Alfred Apaka statue at the Hawaiian Village, The Elvis "Aloha from Hawaii" statue at the Blaisdell Center in Honolulu. Even though I'm more interested in his life as the figure head of a restaurant / nightclub than as an Olympic Athlete isn't there a bust of Duke Kahanamoku at the Huntington Beach pier or maybe even at every pier? :lol: These are the things this should be about the "Hey that's neat, I like that guy and I'm glad someone else does too." type stuff. Not so much with Elvis as he has no shortage of fans but hopefully you get the idea.

As for as Jim Backus, yes it's ridicules to include him here but if I didn't YOU would have and I would have done the same to you if this were your post.:wink: With Tom Selleck I tried to go for the obvious, someone’s gonna post it sooner or later so let's try and get it outta the way but it didn't work so well... I overlooked Kermit the Frog.

K

How about this guy?

Bear

Not sure what you're going for Bear but I think I answered your question.

On 2011-05-31 19:29, Bora Boris wrote:
Not sure what you're going for Bear but I think I answered your question.

Exactly Boris.

How can you get more Tiki than erecting giant stone heads on a remote Pacific island?

Bear

But where's the star in the pavement?

That Marlon Brando combo really hits the mark!

Aloha,

King's Village walk of Fame...

There are also stars for Sportscaster Les "The General" Keiter, Doug Mossman, Frank Delima, and Dolly (I never quite figured that one out?) Parton. There are also stars where the names are undecipherable. Why? Because that inner courtyard is where the King's Guard performs their rifle drill nightly and it involves pounding the rifle on the pavement...

On 2011-05-31 07:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
...And just because your repeated whining about Don Ho, I will repeat what I wrote in "The Sound of Tiki."

"Don Ho is often mentioned in conjunction with Tiki style, a fact which calls for some differentiation. Although Hawaii and Hawaiian tourism were the inspiration for Tiki culture, it was the American mainland where Tiki was turned into an art form.

I beg to differ slightly Sven. He certainly is not Exotica, but...

Don Ho is TIKI. (Sorry, couldn't resist. :) )

His primary venue, Duke Kahanamoku's on the Beach (formally "Don The Beachcomber's" 2nd Hawaii locale in the makai/Diamondhead end of the International Market Place off Kalakaua.) was Tiki-laden. Beach had sold it to the Wilder-McVay family to further finance his expansion of the International Market Place. McVay was Don's Manager. Don Ho later moves performances to Kaiser's Hawaiian Village (also full of Tiki in the 1960.) The Hawaiian Village was also home to exotica greats Denny and Lyman during certain periods.

...his career did not take off until the second half of the 60s, after the Tiki trend had peaked."

Not going to debate Ho's music. But while that time-frame is correct on the mainland, it's pretty clear that the Tiki-style was still going strong in HAWAII until the late 1970's.

In the 1980's, all 3 of the BIG restaurant chains were still operating (Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber's, The Sheraton Kon-Tiki room) as well as the Tahitian Lanai and Canlis. Not until Donn's passing in 1989 did it all fall into the massive decline seen in the islands.

John-O, did I show this to you during your last trip here? Don Ho has a star and you can see his handprints in it. It's just a bit far from Hollywood...

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-05-31 20:49 ]

Since I was sucked into this thread against my will, I am going to play.

Gojira or for you round eyes, Godzilla

and his star on the HWoF

O
Otto posted on Tue, May 31, 2011 10:01 PM

On 2011-05-31 07:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
John-O, you are reaching a little too far there - just like this year's Tiki Oasis is really reaching with their "Tijuana Brass" theme.

Reaching!? Tijuana Brass theme, reaching?

Is not Herb Alpert's (false) embracing of the exotic lands of Mexico and Spain the last, dieing vestige of Exotica's similar grasping for a faraway Eden in any tropical locale?
Did Exotica not move closer and closer in to its roots – America. Starting with truly far away lands such as Easter Island and even Hawaii but Hawaii moved moved closer with the Jet Age. Then Exotica moved closer with Mexico (Herb Alpert and the Witco Spanish style) then even closer with Florida Keys, Jimmy Buffet, Yacht Rock, etc.

Not that all of this is good, but one could argue that Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass movement was the last step in Exotica. Don Ho would be a separate branch attached to the tree of Hawaii. But Herb and his imitators, Julius Wechter's Baja Marimba Band, Chet Baker's Mariachi Brass, etc. spawned a whole movement in design, (hellooooo Witco!) food, drink (margaritas!!), and even dress – harachi sandals and panchos, etc

Arthur Lyman's biggest hit is "Yellow Bird" a simple Latin tune

Almost all great Exotica tunes are built on Latin rhythms

Herb Alpert was the last musician to be able to pull off the facade of an Exotic Other, and therefore, the last in the line of inheritors to the Exotica music kingdom created by Les Baxter and Martin Denny.

[ Edited by: Otto 2011-08-13 16:58 ]

O
Otto posted on Tue, May 31, 2011 10:04 PM

On 2011-05-30 22:25, Bora Boris wrote:
Exotica

I had to drive to Newhall to get Robert Conrad. :-?

Boris, GREAT idea, sorry to slightly derail you here

I am sorry guys, how could I be so narrow-minded! Of course, Don Ho, Godzilla, and Herb Alpert are all soooo "Tiki". In fact, I am considering giving each their own chapter in my next book, "The Book of misunderstood and unrecognized Tiki Heroes". And let's throw in Tom Selleck and the Rat Pack, too: Everybody will have THEIR Tiki THEIR way, and we all can feel gooood! :lol:

J

Wow those were some informative and thought provoking posts by Phillip and Otto !! The theory that Herb Alpert may have inspired Witco is mind boggling. Regardless I'm really looking forward to "South of the Border" Tiki Oasis.

Ok, back to the "stars"...

Marlon Brando, Elvis Presley,... Good but almost too obvious.

Thanks for the thread Boris, you've given me another internet outlet for all the useless trivia that resides in my brain. :)

How about Master Po ??

Keye Luke was in several Hawaii-themed features including a guest spot on Hawaii Five-O as well as appearing in (James Michener's) "The Hawaiians".

The feature of real interest is his role as a Honolulu Police Chief in 1954's "Hell's Half Acre". This Poly-Noir is significant for a scene filmed at the Waikiki DTBC. Also it's one of two film credits for Donn Beach (he was a technical advisor).

So here's a real trivia question.

What connection does Keye Luke have to modern Surf music ??

(And no cheating by trying to Google the answer !!)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-01 11:08 ]

Was it the cartoon "Battle of the Planets" which Keye Luke was a voice actor? John-O

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies