Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Appleton Reserve?

Pages: 1 11 replies

Would the Reserve qualify as a gold or dark Jamaican? Or neither?

Thanks!

On 2011-05-31 13:47, happy buddha wrote:

Thanks!

gold...almost all Appleton rums can be considered gold rums. Myers's and Coruba are considered dark Jamaican rums.

On 2011-05-31 14:52, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

On 2011-05-31 13:47, happy buddha wrote:

Thanks!

gold...almost all Appleton rums can be considered gold rums. Myers's and Coruba are considered dark Jamaican rums.

Appleton Reserve is actually more of a blended, aged rum.

On 2011-05-31 20:41, Shaun of theTiki wrote:

Appleton Reserve is actually more of a blended, aged rum.

To varying degrees, Appleton rums are all blends of aged rums. They aren't dark rums though and I have a feeling that Buddha was trying to figure something out for a recipe. FWIW, the Reserve works pretty good in a mai tai and a daiquri....

Now, if anyone has some 21yo or 30yo for me taste....:D

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2011-05-31 21:33 ]

I was, indeed. Thanks for the help. Isn't the Extra considered a dark rum, though?

The Reserve..... it's not so good.

You should it to me and I'll take care of it for you. I'll trade you a bottle of something else for it.

:wink: :drink: :)

On 2011-05-31 21:38, happy buddha wrote:
I was, indeed. Thanks for the help. Isn't the Extra considered a dark rum, though?

Caveat: I am no expert.....IIRC, gold vs dark rums are a matter of the type of casks that they are aged in. Dark rums are aged in charred oak. Appleton's website doesn't say much. Some folks call it a dark rum and others a darker gold (boy, that's a lot of help). Some will use it in recipes that call for a dark Jamaican. I won't (unless a mai tai). Confused yet?

What are you mixing up?

Thanks guys..

Jingle: I'm trying to make the 'perfect' Mai-Tais & Navy Grogs, at least to my palette...

Chip & Andy: I'll gladly trade it for a bottle of Coruba!

Thanks!
-Buddha

The Reserve is the "always and forever" standard gold rum I keep in the cabinet. The 12 is even better... but for the price difference, the Reserve works just dandy in cocktails.
If your goal is a damn fine Mai-Tai on a regular basis, then the Reserve is critical to keep around. Again, though, the 12 is better. And... if you're feeling insane and give in to the urge to buy a hundred dollar bottle of rum... well, then... the 21 yr will make you one of the finest Mai-Tais you've ever had.
I use that with the El Dorado 15 for the "dark" every once in a great, great while, and it's freakin' mind-blowing.

I like Appleton Extra in Mai Tais, but prefer Coruba in Navy Grogs. Not much help if you can't get Coruba, I guess. I have been meaning to try Myers' in a Navy Grog to see if it's a suitable backup but haven't done this experiment yet. If anyone has, will you comment on the result?

On 2011-06-01 20:56, happy buddha wrote:
Thanks guys..

Jingle: I'm trying to make the 'perfect' Mai-Tais & Navy Grogs, at least to my palette...

Chip & Andy: I'll gladly trade it for a bottle of Coruba!

Thanks!
-Buddha

On 2011-06-02 10:14, tiknician wrote:
I like Appleton Extra in Mai Tais, but prefer Coruba in Navy Grogs. Not much help if you can't get Coruba, I guess. I have been meaning to try Myers' in a Navy Grog to see if it's a suitable backup but haven't done this experiment yet. If anyone has, will you comment on the result?

Myers's is fine. Coruba is better. Either way, the drink still works. I tend to heavy hand the demerara over the dark jamaican anyhow. My rum choice in Navy Grogs swings all over the place depending on what's available in the cabinet. :D The lime/grapefruit combo is what really makes it.

I like Gosling's Black Seal in the navy grog.

Pages: 1 11 replies