Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

In Search of Tiki in The Caribbean

Pages: 1 29 replies

SoccerTiki and I just booked at 8 day Southern Caribbean Cruise departing in December. We are In Search of any suggestions of places to Visit, Places to Drink & Eat, & Things to Do while we are in the Caribbean. We will be visiting the following ports San Juan, Saint Maarten, Saint Lucia, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao, & Aruba.

RT

Looks like a great cruise. Which line are you on?

On 2011-06-01 08:18, Ricky Tiki wrote:
Looks like a great cruise. Which line are you on?

We are sailing with Princess aboard The Caribbean Princess :)

Nice!

Tiki and Carribean share a close historical similarity.
The post-contact history of the indigenous Carribean peoples, the Taiano, is very similar to the those of the Rapa Nui and, to a lesser exent, native Hawaiians, because they both include exploiatation, forced migatration to work on plantations and destruction by european disease.

The Taíno, who had colonized all of the Caribbean by A.D. 1200, suffered mightily in the wake of Columbus and his fellow colonists who conquered Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, and other islands. Whole villages were wiped out by Old World diseases, warfare, and forced resettlement near mines and plantations. By the early sixteenth century, nearly all the Taíno of the Bahamas had been removed to provide labor for Spanish interests in Hispaniola, itself largely depopulated after contact. Within a few decades, all traces of Taíno life had vanished. What did survive has come down to us in the form of commonplace words like barbeque, canoe, hammock, and tobacco.

http://www.archaeology.org/0101/abstracts/museum.html

The manifestations of the Carribean (Taino) gods, called Zemis, are very similar to the South Pacific tikis.
http://www.archaeology.org/0101/abstracts/museum.html

As the larger image indicates, the Zemi gods had a fierce expression, a head which is tilted forward, was based on ancestoral depictions and, most of all, was imbued with magical power. These are all characteristics of pre-contact Hawaiian tiki.

Other Zemi gods just look like tikis.
http://www.taino.org/cohoba_idol.html

On a lighter note, the Punta Cana Airport, in the Dominican Republic looks very tiki:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scokeri/slideshow2?.dir=64e7&.beg=1&.src=ph

When I was in the Dominican Republic, I purchased an indigenous Tiki:

Mahalo for the information Christiki295! I knew you'd have some information for us :)

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Jul 19, 2011 6:10 AM

WooHooWahine, hola, I'll be in the Caribbean this summer and I would like to know if you found any tiki in there... Pics maybe? Gracias.

On 2011-07-19 06:10, Zeta wrote:
WooHooWahine, hola, I'll be in the Caribbean this summer and I would like to know if you found any tiki in there... Pics maybe? Gracias.

Zeta - We won't be in the Caribbean until December but will post pics after our trip :)

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Aug 11, 2011 11:02 AM

Thanks WooHooWahine, I misread your initial post. Duh! Sorry... I just can't believe there's nothing on the subject of El Tiki en el Caribe...
I'm leaving tomorrow for the Caribbean and I wonder if anyone out there has any recommendations on places I must visit even if they are not tiki. Anything old and with character I am interested in. Suggestions anyone?
Laters...
Wish me tiki luck!

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Aug 11, 2011 6:32 PM

La Concha Hotel in Old San Juan de Puerto Rico
1958 Tropical Modernism
http://www.laconcharesort.com/history-architecture/index.cfm
I'm there!

On 2011-08-11 18:32, Zeta wrote:
1958 Tropical Modernism
I'm there!

Wow, there is another La Concha.

I was only familiar with the one formerly (RIP) in Las Vegas,
designed by famed LA African American architect Paul Williams:

On 2011-08-11 18:32, Zeta wrote:
1958 Tropical Modernism
I'm there!

Mahalo for this website Zeta!!!! We are actually planning on staying a few days in San Juan before we leave for our cruise. I hope you have a Great Trip!! Let us know if you find any "Must Sees" and post lots of pics :wink:

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2011 9:45 AM

Christiki295, Thanks for the info on La Perla, I will ask if there's a connection between the two... Must say that the "Sea Shell" structure design is probably an original design by the Spanish-Mexican Arquitecht Felix Candela, first built in 1958 in Mexico City's Xochimilco restaurant "Los Manantiales"

You are welcome FutbolTiki! Glad to share the mana...

Stay tuned for more flamboyant Caribbean beauty!

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Aug 20, 2011 7:18 AM

While fearing and loathing in Puerto Rico, I recommend reading "The Rum diary" by good ol' Hunter s. "Gonzo" Thompson.

On 2011-08-20 07:18, Zeta wrote:
While fearing and loathing in Puerto Rico, I recommend reading "The Rum diary" by good ol' Hunter s. "Gonzo" Thompson.

Zeta - How was your trip?? Any recommendations of places to see?

San Juan, Puerto Rico:

Bacari Rum Factory Free Tour & Rum Tasting

The Caribe Hilton: Former home of Trader Vic's and where the Pina Colada was invented

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-12-28 06:32 ]

Looks like a great trip! Is this you? :) :

The setting of that old Trader Vic's is wonderful! It just needs new story board paintings and a little decor, and it would be a perfect Tiki bar.

Orient Beach, Saint Martin

KON TIKI Beach Bar Restaurant

Aloha Beach Bar Restaurant

More sites of Orient Beach

Lunch at Ma Ti Beach on the French-side of Saint Martin

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-12-28 10:15 ]

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-12-29 08:31 ]

The Tropical Island of St. Lucia

Grenada: The Spice Capital of The World

Crazy Al's Brothers?

The Island of Bonaire

Curacao

Senior & Company Curacao Factory Tour & Tasting Room

More of Curacao

looks like lots of fun,
thanks for the pix

Jeff(btd)

On 2011-12-29 18:25, bigtikidude wrote:
looks like lots of fun,
thanks for the pix

Jeff(btd)

I was a Great Trip Jeff. Next time we will pack you in our bag :)

Aruba

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them...looks like you all had a great time and took some interesting tours.

Thank you so much for these photos. You two are such a terrific couple it gives me joy each time I see you play together. What a great trip and tikis too.

It takes me forever to put up photos is there a trick to make it faster or did you spend an entire day to share these?

I hope we see you at Oasis, cheers, Wendy

On 2012-01-03 08:44, danlovestikis wrote:
Thank you so much for these photos. You two are such a terrific couple it gives me joy each time I see you play together. What a great trip and tikis too.

It takes me forever to put up photos is there a trick to make it faster or did you spend an entire day to share these?

I hope we see you at Oasis, cheers, Wendy

Happy 2012 Wendy!!! No Tricks for posting pics..I just take my time. We will see you at Oasis for sure if not sooner. Happy New Year's and a Giant WooHoo to You & Dan :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2012-01-03 17:24 ]

Q
Q-tiki posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2012 8:27 PM

Mahaloz for the great pics! Looks like a fantastic trip!

Cheers!

This December SoccerTiki and I will be returning to The Carribean and visiting the Island of Roatan, Belize City, and the Island of Cozumel....WooHoo! We are In Search of Any Suggestions of places to go, things to see, places to eat or drink in these ports.

WooHoo! Only 5 More Days :)

Pages: 1 29 replies