Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

demerara dry float

Pages: 1 8 replies

okay, good one, guys. two and a half oz lime? teaspoon of lemon? only an ounce of rum? i fell for it.

let me guess-- was this recipe created as the perfect libation for everyone's next tiki snipe hunt?

but what i really wanna know is-- who's gonna give me back my quarter ounce of Lemon Hart 151? WHO?

:evil:

H

Yeah, the recipe you used is a bit heavy on the citrus. I prefer the Beachbum's variation on it:

Gone The Beachcomber:
*1 oz fresh lime juice
1/4 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup
1/4 oz Maraschino liqueur
1/4 oz sugar syrup
1 oz Demerara rum (80 proof)
1/4 oz 151 Demerara rum (float)

Shake it all up with ice except the 151. Strain into empty glass then float the 151.*

I usually double the recipe.

I've only made this with Lemon Hart Demerara, One of these days I'll try an El Dorado Demarara for the 80 proof.

I used El Dorado for the 80.

have never come across LH 80 proof.

I just posted a tribute recipe for the Demerara Float, The Mai-Kai's version of the Demerara Dry Float ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/07/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-classic-demerara-float-rises-again/

Looks good, thanks! I appreciate the recommendations on which rums to use as well as a confirmation on who currently produces good syrups. So now I have more reasons to go out and buy even more rums... At last count I think I had 32 different rums in my bar cabinets, some of which I will phase out and not ever re-stock because I've found better. Obviously I will need to drink more to accomplish the phase-out, and will need to invite friends!

did you ever receive that LH 151 you ordered?

I did receive my "new" LH 151 and they did a phenomenal job packing it and shipping it quickly. I would re-order from them anytime. I have not, as yet, done my taste-test for comparison of old "tan" and new "red" label versions. (I was sidetracked by making and testing a handful of cocktails which I saw appear in discussions here on TC, heh...) I did open and use the new LH 151 and it was fine. Based on what I've read here so far the difference between old and new should be minimal. I plan on comparing my notes with others at the next few tiki events I will be attending. And I will post my results here as soon as I have 'em.

S

I make the original recipe, yes with 2.5 oz of lime, for friends who love sour. For those people, this is their favorite drink!

I usually ask if they like to chew on sweetarts first.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: swanky 2012-09-15 09:24 ]

D

I think we all taste tartness differently, so what would be ridiculously sour to some will appeal to a few. I find that my palate is very sensitive to tartness, so I usually modify recipes to better suit me.

Of course, some people are just maniacs...

Pages: 1 8 replies