Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What are some tasty tiki drinks with a non-rum base?

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

While I love my rum drinks, I also like to play around with other spirits. I've found a few tiki-appropriate drinks which branch out and I'm itching to try more.

I rather enjoy the "Blood and Sand" cocktail, which is named after a 1922 silent film and features a blended Scotch base. While not originally associated with tiki, I feel like it wouldn't be out of place on a drink menu.

Blood and Sand Cocktail
1 oz blended Scotch, 1 oz orange juice (variation: blood orange), 3/4 oz Cherry Heering, 3/4 oz sweet vermouth.

Stir with ice, strain into chilled martini glass, garnish with a flamed orange twist.

Anyone have any ideas for others?

[ Edited by: Tik-easy 2011-06-07 14:52 ]

Welcome to TC Tik-Easy

Here's a link to vodka based tiki drinks
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33802&forum=10

H

The Singapore Sling is gin based:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39933&forum=10
Be sure to check out the YouTube video.

Oh, and in reference to my post count, here's another YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSAXkp9cqbk

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2011-06-07 15:34 ]

M
Murph posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2011 6:59 PM

A Honi Honi... love my Bourbon

H

Coconut Grove Cooler (BB remixed)

3/4 oz fresh lemon juice (I put 1 oz )
3/4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz orange juice
3/4 oz orange Curacao
1 1/2 oz blended Whiskey
3 tsp. passion fruit nectar or juice
3 tsp. grenadine ( you can skip if you don't like semi sweet drinks)
1/2 tsp. orgeat syrup
8 oz. ( 1 cup) crushed ice.

T

These recipes all sound really fun. I can't wait to try them out!

A little more wandering through old posts revealed that the original Suffering Bastard was made with gin and brandy rather than the rum based recipe I was familiar with: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20723&forum=10&hilite=suffering%20bastard%20recipe

So far we've got some tiki vodka, gin, rum (of course), and whisk(e)y drinks. Does anyone have some killer tequila-based recipes? I've been thinking about crafting my own based around (probably a Blanco) tequila and a hibiscus syrup I make, and I'd love to see what people have done in a similar vein.

[ Edited by: Tik-easy 2011-06-07 22:34 ]

"What are some tasty tiki drinks with a non-rum base?"

None.
:wink:

I am really just a Rum fan, and don't care too much for other boozes.
But that being said, I occasionally like a Jim's special at Tiki Ti,
a High end Rum drink, that also has some Really good Tequila in it too.

and that gave me the idea to invent a drink using both and a Mexican Liqueur for this years Tiki Oasis.

Jeff(btd)

DZ

On 2011-06-07 22:32, Tik-easy wrote:
Does anyone have some killer tequila-based recipes?

I'm a tequila lover & my new drink of choice is the "Dallas Star", the signature drink of the Dallas Trader Vic's, a drink so good, they even had their own Trader Vic's glasses made with a star incorporated into the tapa pattern!

The Dallas Star (Doctor Z's version*)

1 pineapple ring, 1/2" thick
5 mint leaves
1 1/4 oz. Milagro Reposado tequila
1 oz. Cruzan Coco
1/4 oz. blue curacao
Juice of 1 whole lime
1 oz. agave nectar

--Muddle pineapple & mint with a little ice.
--Add remaining ingredients with some ice.
--Shake.
--Strain into rocks glass with ice, allowing a little of the muddle mixture into the glass.
--garnish with slice of star fruit

*I use my favorite tequila, a stronger coconut rum and usually up the quantities from what's here; everything else is the Vic's recipe

PS - I'll be serving these in my room at Oasis... :wink:

J

Sadly, I like all liquors (some more than others...) and so I have a decent array of non-rum spirits to complement the various rums. My personal favorite non-rum Tiki drink is the Halekulani:

½ oz. Unsweetened Pineapple Juice (get the stuff in the carton, NEVER the canned stuff)
½ oz. Fresh-squeezed Lemon Juice
½ oz. Orange Juice (ideally fresh, but unpasteurized organic OJ can be found in lots of supermarkets and it's 99% as good. Failing even that, Florida's Natural is the best tasting brand.)
1½ oz. Bourbon (I like regular Maker's Mark for this)
½ Tsp. Grenadine (make your own -- pomegranate juice w. sugar -- or get Trader Tiki's Hibiscus Grenadine which is different but delish.)
1 Dash Angostura Bitters, although orange bitters would not be out of place here.

Shake well with ice cubes. Strain into a glass with FRESH, cracked ice.

G

I love the rainkiller recipe in, I believe, the taboo table, made with gin. I substitute gin for light rum in several drinks - provided there are no other rums going in. I'll try to post the recipe later.

gabbahey

I'm a fan of the Chartreuse Swizzle
2 oz green Chartreuse
1 ½ oz pineapple juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
¼ oz falernum
Build in a Collins glass.
Add crushed ice.
Swizzle until outside of glass frosts.

It's a good way to burn through an expensive bottle of Chartreuse.

"The only liqueur so good they named a color after it!"
Quentin Tarantino as "Warren" in Death Proof

I found this recipe on the sadly defunct Cocktails+ app. It was originally invented by Marcovaldo Dionysis.

G

Rainkiller

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz oj
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz sugar syrup
1 1/2 oz gin(or white puerto rican rum or other booze)
Dash bitters
4oz crushed ice

Blend

This is an example of a tiki drink that is pretty plain with rum but truly great with gin.

gabbahey

Not sure if these are tiki, but they use hibscus flowers, and that has to count for something. :) The trick is to split the petals - this turns the flower into a mass of wavy tentacles, like a tiny sea monster.

Midnight Nautilus
Champagne
Splash creme de violette
Wild Hibiscus flower garnish
Split hibiscus petals and put in bottom of glass. Add hibiscus syrup to taste (I like ~1 teaspoon). Cover squid halfway with creme de violette; fill with champagne.

Wild Hibiscus French 75 (http://www.wildhibiscus.com/cocktails/index.html#1) or; North Sea
Crushed Ice
1 part fresh lime juice
2 part gin
½ part wild hibiscus syrup
Wild Hibiscus Flower garnish
Champagne
Place wild hibiscus in bottom of the glass & half fill with crushed ice. In shaker combine the lime, gin & syrup & shake vigorously. Pour in & top with champagne. The flower should stand up under the ice like the Eiffel tower of Paris (or a waking kraken in frozen seas).

Also some gin cocktails - not exactly tiki, but nautical themed and/or exotic:
Depth Charge Cocktail (http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/2007/06/16/absinthe-makes-the-liver-grow-fonder/)
1 oz gin
1 oz Lillet
2 dashes Absinthe
orange peel garnish
Stir, strain into cocktail glass. (I like this best with a little orange bitters added, 2 drops of La Fee is nice with the delicate flavors in this one)

Columbo “Flying Fish”, which Was Taken into the Fold on a Memorable Night in Ceylon (taken from Charles Baker's boozy 1939 travelogue The Gentleman's Companion, currently in print as Jigger, Beaker and Flask: Drinking Around the World - haven't tried it yet, but the name was too good to pass up)
1 jigger (1.5 oz) dry gin
½ pony (0.5 oz) yellow Curacao and 1 dash peach bitters; or ½ pony Cordial Medoc in place of both
½ tsp maraschino
Shake with plenty of cracked ice, strain, serve in Manhattan glass with a slice of orange.

Sahara Glowing Heart Cocktail*, from the Hands of one Abdullah an Arab Muslim Wizard back of Mahogany at the Mena House Bar, near the Pyramids of Ghizeh, which Are Just South of Cairo, Egypt*. (Also from Jigger, Beaker, and Flask, also haven't tried yet)
1 pony (1 oz) dry gin
1 pony (1 oz) absinthe
1 pony (1 oz) dry apricot brandy
½ pony (0.5 oz) grenadine
Shake with lots and lots of ice and strain into saucer champagne glass, and pray Allah for forgiveness of all imminent and future sins of the flesh.

I'm hoping to test the JBF drinks soon - if you beat me to it, let me know how they are.

Pages: 1 12 replies