Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Why you should be careful when igniting 151 rum...

Pages: 1 4 replies

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/burning-bananas-scorch-diner.html

Burning Bananas Leave Diner Covered In Flames

A family was helicoptered to the hospital with severe burns after a tropical dessert ended in tragedy. The waiter poured the 151 proof rum over the plate of bananas Foster, a treat consisting of bananas sauteed in butter and soaked in alcohol and often served over ice cream, and then lit it. The liquid fire then spilled onto several members of the family, leaving one woman's body covered in flames as her dress caught fire.

Two of the men had burns on the knees and refused treatment. An older woman was released after getting treatment for respiratory burns. The woman whose dress became ablaze is still hospitalized, and will be for some time, after receiving first and second-degree burns.

"Obviously, it was a terrible accident," the Palm Harbor area restaurant owner told St. Petersburg Times. "But my main concern is for the well-being of that young lady and everyone who was hurt, and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who was involved. It was just very unfortunate."

FIRE IT UP! FIRE IT UP!

Sorry.........

also linked here

Bacardi 151 Dangerous and Defective? (owch!)

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-06-17 14:55 ]

local restaurateurs have been assailing that place in the press for "not properly training" the server who allowed the 151 to catch fire (and for even using 151 in a flaming dish at all).

T

151 is not usually what's used, I wouldn't think; I'd expect brandy or orange liqueur or something. But even if 151 IS used, it doesn't just leap out of the plate - you have to splash it, flip it, or tip the plate over someone. And even so, I would think it'd be prepared tableside on a cart, but would be extinguished by the time it reached the diners' table. Maybe the cook was new at it and splashed it all over somehow...?

Pages: 1 4 replies