Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Liqueurs & Other Modifier Inventory?

Pages: 1 10 replies

J

Since there are various rum threads going on the rum inventories we all have, I am curious as to what we have in terms of liqueurs and modifiers.

This is what I got:

Cointreau
Chambord
Grand Marnier
Pernod
Cherry Heering
Creme de Menthe
Creme de Cacao
Creme de Cassis
Creme de Banane
Kahlua
Bailey's
Limoncello (homemade)
Falernum (homemade)
Pimento/allspice dram (homemade)
Frangelico
Amaretto
Benedictine
Drambuie (not really sure WHY)
Cinzano sweet vermouth
Cinzano dry vermouth

That's it.

-J.

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2011-06-18 17:43 ]

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2011-06-18 17:47 ]

I have most of what you have listed, plus:

St Elizabeth's Allspice Dram
Taylor's Velvet Falernum
Luxardo maraschino
Herbsaint
Peychaud's bitters
Angostura bitters
Grenadine
Orgeat

as well as:

Creme de Violette
Galliano
Cynar
Ramazotti
Kirschwasser
Chartreuse (green, and yellow)
Blackberry brandy
Midori melon
Sloe gin
Soho Lychee
Zen green tea liqueur
Angostura orange bitters
Fee Bros orange bitter, lemon bitters, mint bitters, and peach bitters

also, anybody got good ideas for using:

Brizzard Parfait amour
Brizzard Creme de Noyaux

crikey, some of these bottles are mighty dusty.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-06-18 15:54 ]

On 2011-06-18 15:52, thePorpoise wrote:

also, anybody got good ideas for using:

Brizzard Parfait amour
Brizzard Creme de Noyaux

crikey, some of these bottles are mighty dusty.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-06-18 15:54 ]

You can use the Parfait Amour for making the Blue Moon cocktail. It contains, gin, lemon juice, and parfait amour. Most recipes written nowadays for the Blue Moon specify Creme Yvette, but I believe originally, it used Parfait Amour.

On 2011-06-18 15:52, thePorpoise wrote:
...Sloe gin...

That's funny, last weekend an old friend and I were reminiscing about the night 35 years ago when we got drunk making Slow Gin Fizzes with sloe gin and 7Up. We ran out of 7Up and started drinking the sloe gin straight from the bottle - taste like cough syrup! :lol:

The things I use most are the ingredients needed for my go-to cocktails: Mai Tai, Zombie, Nui Nui, Donga Punch, and TV-style Navy Grog. So, naturally I can't live without:

Orgeat (Giffard, the brand at our local Italian market, and Torani, in order of preference)
Various Orange Liqueurs (I usually have on hand at any given time Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Triple Sec (Meaghers), Orange Curacao (Senior and DeKuyper's "Signature"), and Creole Shrubb)
Pernod (6 drops at a time)
Angostura bitters
Cinnamon Syrup (homemade - often combined with grapefruit to make Don's Mix)
Falernum (Taylor's non-alc, Hanschell's 11%)
Grenadine (Monin)
Vanilla Syrup
Allspice dram (homemade - sometimes combined with vanilla to approximate Don's Spices #2)
I also frequently use:
Peychaud's bitters
Passion Fruit Syrup (Monin)
Cane Syrup (Torani)
Honey Syrup (Monin)
Coffee Syrup (homemade)
Apricot Brandy (Mcguinness)
Cherry Brandy (Bols)
Blue Curacao (Bols)
Licor 43
Coffee Liqueur (Kahlua, Trader Vics Kona)
Galliano
Baileys (particularly in coffee during the holidays)
Ryans Irish Cream (when the Baileys runs out)
I also have on hand but rarely use:
Blood Orange bitters (Stirrings)
Orange Flower water
Agave Nectar
Pistachio syrup (Monin)
Gingerbread syrup (Torani)
Mandarin Orange syrup (Torani)
Peach syrup (Monin)
TV Macadamia Nut Liqueur
Maraschino (Luxardo)
Amaretto (Luxardo)
Agwa
Midori
Tuaca
Vanilla Vodka (Smirnoff)
Creme de Noyaux (Hiram Walker)
Creme de Banane (Bols)
Creme de Cassis (Dijon)
Creme de Menthe (Meaghers)
Strawberry liqueur (Marie Brizard)
Peppermint Schnapps (Phillips)
Dry vermouth (Martini)
Blanco vermouth (Martini)
Peach Grappa (Bottega)
Green Sour Puss (for some reason...)
Butterscotch Schnapps (Phillips)

That's about it. I listed the brands in case someone was curious. Most of them are just what's available up here, not my recommendation. Some of those bottles I have yet to make it through, so I haven't even had a chance to try a different brand. Which brings up another issue: shelf life. For things that don't last long once opened, like Sherry, Sake, or seasonal homemade syrups, I pick up or make on a need-only basis. Like, if I decided I just have to have Fog Cutters this weekend, or if I want to serve Voodoo Priestesses at Halloween. I read somewhere about shelf-life of liqueurs and spirits, but what about store-bought syrups? Most of mine are either Monin or Torani. How long should those things be lasting? Should I throw them away when there's floaties, or should I keep using them to make my lesser friends' drinks?

J

On 2011-06-20 13:25, Brandomoai wrote:
[snip]

I grabbed 2-3 bottles when they were on clearance at my local Williams-Sonoma. Haven't opened them yet...what'd ya think of these?

-J.

P.S. I store all my perishable fluids :wink: with a Vac-U-Vin stopper.

I have a liquor store in my house

There! Fixed it for you!

On 2011-06-20 15:40, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

I have a liquor store in my house

There! Fixed it for you!

LOL! Oh, c'mon! Did you see Phinz' rum selection on the rum inventory thread?

On 2011-06-20 14:25, jokeiii wrote:

[snip]

I grabbed 2-3 bottles when they were on clearance at my local Williams-Sonoma. Haven't opened them yet...what'd ya think of these?

-J.

P.S. I store all my perishable fluids :wink: with a Vac-U-Vin stopper.

It's non-alcholic bitters, and doesn't seem to have the concentration of flavor you'd expect from Angostura or Peychauds, or probably Fee Bros. I've hardly used it and, unfortunately, I think it's now taken a turn for the worse. Definitely doesn't have the shelf life of bitters with alcohol. All in all, not really worth buying, at least not for me anyway. Next time I'm in the US, I'll try to find another kind of orange bitters, maybe Angostura or Regan's (anyone tried this one?). Those are what they have at the BevMo near my folks' place in Arizona.

the stirrings blood orange bitters is watery shite. the Fee Bros works well; try Angostura Orange if you like extra spicy.

On 2011-06-19 18:56, paranoid123 wrote:

You can use the Parfait Amour for making the Blue Moon cocktail. It contains, gin, lemon juice, and parfait amour. Most recipes written nowadays for the Blue Moon specify Creme Yvette, but I believe originally, it used Parfait Amour.

I've made the Blue moon in past using creme de violette, may have to try out w/the parfait, altho sounds a lot like a Jupiter cocktail, which i didn't like.

On 2011-06-19 22:03, MadDogMike wrote:

That's funny, last weekend an old friend and I were reminiscing about the night 35 years ago when we got drunk making Slow Gin Fizzes with sloe gin and 7Up. We ran out of 7Up and started drinking the sloe gin straight from the bottle - taste like cough syrup! :lol:

yeah, i bought it one weekend to try out sloe gin fizzes, sloe screw variations, etc., and now there the remainder of the bottle sits... I heard Plymouth has released an actual sloeberry gin recently, that may be worth a try.

T

Creme Yvette and Parfait Amour are not the same thing.

The Blue Moon and the Aviation both get their color (supposed to be a pale sky blue) from violet-colored liqueur. The things which fit the bill (and are available in the US) are Creme de Violette by Rothman & Winter, Parfait Amour by Marie Brizard and the recently re-introduced Creme Yvette. But there are taste differences. Parfait Amour is vanilla, spices and a bit of orange. Creme de Violette and Creme de Yvette are proper violet flavor. The Aviation properly uses Creme de Violette or Creme Yvette, but I'm not sure about the Blue Moon. All these liqueurs are very tasty, as is the Violette by Hermes (Suntory, Japan) which is not sold in the US.

I don't have a proper tiki bar, and I have no rum. But I do collect odd liqueurs. I have on hand:
Navan (vanilla Cognac, Grand Marnier brand)
St. Germain elderflower
Various older 1970s and 1980s DeKuyper products
Stroh 80 (Austrian rummy stuff, 160 proof)
Cheri-Suisse (chocolate cherry, 1970s)
La Grand Passion (passion fruit, late 1980s, Grand Marnier brand)
As well as orgeat (Fee) and Peychaud's bitters

I have also had:
Wild Turkey liqueur (1970s, not the new "American Honey" product)
Cherry Marnier
Agavero
Barenjager
Creme de Violette

My only regularly-kept non-liqueur is single malt, usually Laphroaig 10. I also have some homemade apricot, blackberry and plum and will soon have a cardamom-pear and perhaps some falernum.

Pages: 1 10 replies