Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaii PCT Monkey Mug

Pages: 1 20 replies

What the hec is it?
Who produced this?
Where was it sold?

It was a thrift store 99 cent purchase on my way to The Purple Orchid Mug Release Party. It's quite heavy and has no markings on the bottom or back of the mug. The "Hawaii PCT" is actually raised and painted rather than just painted across the chest. The second picture was taken with a Shecky to give you guys some idea as to it's size.

Any info beyond "it's a female monkey mug" (duh!), would be appreciated.

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-06-02 11:08 ]

CaddyDaddy,

I've got one of those too but have no idea what the PCT stands for. Been wondering myself. Bought mine for $4.00 on Ebay.

Sabu

Pearl City Tavern over loooking Pearl Harbor. Home of the world famous monkey bar. Just a guess...

Kailuageoff wrote:
Pearl City Tavern over loooking Pearl Harbor. Home of the world famous monkey bar. Just a guess...

Thanks Kailuageoff!
That's probably it! If not, then that's one hec of a good guess! Now to find out if it's still in existence and/or if there are any pictures of the place.

On 2002-08-07 19:59, Kailuageoff wrote:
If the Tavern is there, you might want to check it out. They used to have spider monkeys in the bar behind a wall of glass and a great view of the Harbor. (My father took us there a few times) The legend is a Japanese spy would hang out there every afternoon and track which ships were in port. The information he gathered was used by the Japanese Navy to plan the surprise attack on Dec. 7.

A while back I asked Gecko to check this out, but he wasn't sure if it was still standing. I went there a few times with my family in the 70's. I'm pretty sure we celebrated my sister's 18th birthday there.

As I recall, there was long bar on the right side as you walked in and across from it a window that was as long as the bar enclosing a monkey habitat.

Past the bar, there was an open seating area with windows looking over the harbor. My Dad said it was real popular with the Navy brass.

I need to get one of those mugs now that I know they exist. All I have is a swizzle stick with a monkey's face on it. (Is this an awesome Internet forum, or what?)

I

I found one of those PCT mugs in a thrift store in California about a year and a half ago - I think it was the day before Otto and Baby Doe's Madonna Inn event. My mug has a chip on the back rim.

I asked the question "Does anyone know what this PCT stands for?" in another forum I belong to, and this is the reply I got.

"I do! I do! (waving hand wildly)It stands for Pearl City Tavern, a restaurant and lounge that was the best thing on O'ahu until the owner got tired of working so hard and closed it. Or perhaps he died -- I dunno. Behind the bar was a huge cage area filled with live monkeys. Up on the roof was a huge bonsai garden. Oh, I miss that place!!! Used
to go there for special occasions in the '60s and '70s. When I moved back in '96 the building was standing empty. Betcha somebody on ebay would snatch up that mug."

Vern

I'd say we have a "second", all in favor of the motion say Mai-Tai!

Thanks for the info, guys.

Another mystery on my mug shelf solved!

Sabu The PCT* Boy
(*Periodically "Coconut Toy")

Kailuageoff,

I found another one of these Pearl City Tavern monkey mugs over the weekend for $6.00. It's in great condition. I'd be happy to mail it to you if you like.

Sabu

I thought this place sounded very interesting so I went surfing on the net and found this. There are a few small pictures...sadly the place has closed.
http://www.k12.hi.us/~lehua/classrooms1999_00/a24/pc_project/business/past/pc_tavern/pc_tavern.htm

Hey Sabu,
That's reallly gracious. Sure, I want the little simeon. Are you going to the Hukilau?
KG

Kailuageoff,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the Hukilau this year. But send me your shipping address off-line and I'll mail it to you. You can buy me a drink at next year's Hukilau.

Littlegiles - thanks for looking that site up! I need to find me one of those postcards now, showing all those little South American squirrel monkeys playing behind the bar. Much better than a television tuned to sports.

Sabu

Man, that's great! However, my wife and I are are scamming a business trip to LA in late July / early August, so maybe I can buy you a drink in your backyard. I should no for sure in a week or two.
Are there any mugs you are looking for from Florida?

aloha,

[ Edited by: filslash 2007-01-09 12:43 ]

What an interesting sounding place!
And yet, while I love monkeys in ceramic form or to see them in a zoo - WELL behind bars - part of wonders how creepy it would have been to see them while you're drinking. I have awful images of the little buggers getting pissed off at whatever and flinging their own you-know-what at the glass. Not the most appetizing of images.

To summarize:
Monkeys - I love 'em in theory (in art)
They kinda scare me in large groups in reality

Hey Sabu,
Re-reading this post I see where I said I was going to be in LA last year and never made it. Well, I'm going to be in LA next week if you still have the PCT mug...

I guess I shouldn't have been such an ungrateful a**, and instead should have told you with overflowing enthusiasm to mail the mug ASAP.

One thing I've learned the hard way about tiki is, strike while the iron is hot!
KG

KG,

Believe it or not I was cleaning out the office last week and found the mug again - so boxed it up and was going to e-mail you for your address. I guess I'll just wait till you're in town and hand it over then.

Sabu

Sabu,
Mahalo dude. You've got mail.
KG

Dang where was I when these monkey mugs were making the rounds? I use to love that going to place in the 80s and was looking high an low for a keepsake. They use to keep the monkeys behind the bar and you could view them through a plexiglass shield. A friend dared me to go right up to the glass and take a deep breath, after a few drinks I did and was disgusted. But so much more entertaining than any karoke bar

someone should open a bar and fill it with Tiki Centralites :)

I found this today at the Long Beach swapmeet. Same mug with a slightly different paintjob.

Pages: 1 20 replies