Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Huts for the Homeless

Pages: 1 4 replies

S

Well they are actually Chickee Huts, but I like the way the official quoted in the article corrects the reporter. I also like the idea mentioned kiddingly in the article of providing Tiki bars for the homeless!

Maybe we could start a program called Tiki Bars for the Homeless (I'm open for alternate name suggestions). We could open Tiki Bars under freeway overpasses. Kind of like a Meals on Wheels program but we could provide Mai Tai's and Suffering Bastards.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5992822.htm

[ Edited by: SoBeTiki on 2003-06-02 10:29 ]

SoBeTiki wrote:
Maybe we could start a program called Tiki Bars for the Homeless (I'm open for alternate name suggestions)...

HUTS: "Homes Under The Stars"

So the article says 48'x20' coverings at $30k each. Wow! I've never built a hut myself, but at that size and that price, you'd think that there actually would be a bar in there!

R
Rain posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2003 10:55 AM

really.
something tells me that the seminoles didn't spend the equivalent of $30000 to build those things.

In some So Cal communities such as Newport Beach and Laguna Beach, there isn't as much of a concern for the 'homeless' as there is for the 'Summer homeless'.

(My God Lovie! Must we go to Martha's Vineyard again!)

J
JTD posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2003 2:10 PM

Jones says, "A tiki hut is not technically the correct name for what they are building, which sounds like a tiki bar. We are not about building a bar, heaven help us on that; we are building a chickee."

I respond "Why is it that when I'm looking for a chickee (especially a built one), I end up at a bar?"

-JTD (Don't let my wife see that one :))

Pages: 1 4 replies