Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Our New Tiki Mosaic

Pages: 1 13 replies

I have been wanting to make a tiki mosaic for a long time and finally did one last week. I have done a lot of mosaics in the past but all with random patterns, so to make it easier on myself I used the pattern (well mostly) from the old kit mosaics (the one in BOT). The piece of plywood I used ended up being big enough for the right half so I plan to do a second one as well. I think it turned out pretty good for a first attempt. I want to make a cool bamboo frame for it. It is a gift for my fiance's birthday. Here are some pictures of it. Sorry about the glare. Hope you guys like it!

waikiki

C

That's fantastic! Oh, I want to make one!

that looks great! Good Job! There is a little bar here in Reno that has a Tiki type mosaic. I'll try to get a snap shot of it for you sometime for inspiration!

TD

Great mosaic!!!

that would make an excellent counter top for a bar!

T

Great work, WT! I'm really inspired to do one of these sometime in the near future. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

That's super swell.

Even Sweller would be having it made out of pieces of shattered tiki mugs! Let's start a collection!

M

WT:

Man, that looks so good...lucky fiancee!

WT, very nice work! How thick was that peice of plywood you used? Does it flex at all?

Thanks guys! The nice praise makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Poly Pop, I used 1/2 inch and it doesn't flex. I think it will hold up nicely.

waikiki

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2003 2:13 PM

good job WT. very nice braddah!

C

That came out sweet Waikiki! Very nice work. Dit it take long?! I love that image too. I have a stained glass a buddy did for me of that same design. There is a pic of it floating around T.C. someplace. Has anyone tried out the "Stone" making kits?
Kinda the same idea just thicker right?
Chongolio

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-06-04 07:57 ]

Chong,
It only ended up taking about a week, and I only worked on it about an hour each day...I think if I had had more time it would have only taken a coulple of days! Again, thanks guys!

waikiki

M

Waikiki,

You should talk to Poly-Pop and have him send you his broken mugs. You could break them into tiny pieces and make a Tiki Mug Mosaic out of Tiki Mugs.

On 2003-06-04 22:05, MauiTiki wrote:
You should talk to Poly-Pop and have him send you his broken mugs. You could break them into tiny pieces and make a Tiki Mug Mosaic out of Tiki Mugs.

MauiTiki,
I've actually thought about doing something like that but the reactions I get from people who walk in and see my broken mug display are priceless!

Pages: 1 13 replies