Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Shipwreck Cove **Work in progress**

Pages: 1 16 replies

These are in the patio area of my apartment area:

I thought that I would kinda take this idea and transform the wall my TV sits on to something similar. Kind of a Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson take. What you could do with the salvage of your boat.

This is the clusterf*ck I'm starting with:

Of course the white walls are going to be among the first to go. The other paint the landlord uses is a brown, which is miles better than this hospital white. I've saved up years worth of crap that is going to finally have a home here.

I started with the shipping crate under the TV:

Starting with this post to hopefully keep motivated and get this done in a reasonable time frame.

[ Edited by: blindy the pirate 2011-07-11 06:56 ]

PP

let me be the first to say... VERY COOL!!!!!!!

Next phase completed:

Just finished the next crate, before staining and lettering:

PP

very very cool!!
how are you making your crates?? they look AWSOME!!!!!! Ive love to see some details so I can make some, Im all thumbs!!!
paul

Thanks man! The crates aren't too hard to build. The new ones are just made out of 5/8 inch plywood and 1x2's. I'll post assembly pics when I make the next one (hopefully next weekend)

I like the half-buried planter crates - very nice

I

I LOVE the roof over the tv! Great idea, I have never seen that before.

I found this wagon whell at Big Lots for 75% off

With a little help from some cheap bannisters from home depot, some brown paint, and a skelton from the halloween store, instant pirate ship wheel ala POTC ride.

It isn't finished yet, I'm going to make it free standing and add clothes tatters, hat and eye patch. Waiting for the after halloween clearance sales. It is a great time to find stuff for cheap for that pirate on a budget. Also found a plastic cooking pot for less than $15.00:

I figure with an idea like Shipwreack Cove, it can include stuff from different time periods. Which is good cause that is what I have. Been adding fake vines and plants to give the feel of encrouching jungle. Still a work in progress.

Looks good Blindy, way to use the sales

Looking very ship-wrecked...love your crates!!!

Nicely done.... Looks like I'm gonna have some friendly competition hahaha. Glad to see your work. I'm not the only crazy one out there. Kidding!!!

Moved into a new apartment and started a few new ideas while building on the theme. Sorry about the crappy pictures, all I have is a cell phone camera right now, but you'll get the idea.

Before paint or anything.

Because I am renting, I added a couple pieces of OSB to the walls. Then I added sand to premixed drywall mud and covered most of the wood to have it look like a stucco wall. The door enters into the half bath but with some kona brown trim and a false window, it became the facade of a pirate bar.

A little more work to the pirate bar. Where the 'stucco' is missing, I got some peal and stick vinyl tile that looked like stone and put it up so it looks like the stucco has fallen and exposed the stone underneath.

The pole now has a flicker bulb to look like candle light

The pirate got a new home more front and center

A simple coffee table becomes an alter.

Just another corner in the living room.

Keep up the great work, you have some really good ideas for use in an apartment. Got Tiki?

Lookin good

On 2012-03-26 20:14, VampiressRN wrote:
Keep up the great work, you have some really good ideas for use in an apartment. Got Tiki?

They exist, I swear! :blush:

I'll take some pics that have them included.

On your post of 2011-07-11 06:56 am; is that a map of the Iowa Great Lakes I spot above your TV? I grew up in Spirit Lake-Class of '75 and graduate of University of Okoboji! Tell me the significance of the map when you get a chance....my name is Larry Dexter!

On 2012-03-28 20:43, Quasimodo57 wrote:
On your post of 2011-07-11 06:56 am; is that a map of the Iowa Great Lakes I spot above your TV? I grew up in Spirit Lake-Class of '75 and graduate of University of Okoboji! Tell me the significance of the map when you get a chance....my name is Larry Dexter!

Nice catch! My Grandparents lived on Triboji Beach (top of west lake) my entire life. My Dad graduated from Sprit Lake High in 71. My uncle graduated in 77 or 78. My grandfather was the coach at Sprit Lake high, then later principal there. His name was Jack Stowell. I grew up in Florida, but would go up during the summers. My Mom grew up on a farm in Minn whose southern border was the state line. Her sister has been a bartender in Arnolds Park forever. Her name is Sue Lanning. She still lives up there.

It is such a beautiful area and I miss going up there.

Pages: 1 16 replies