Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Waikiki Tiki: Slide Show, Luau & The Smokin' Menehunes Tonight!!! 9/4 @ Don the Beachcomber, HB

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

The items for the raffle are coming in:

Wall hangings by Big Toe, Hot Tiki and HB Tiki (Thank you for your donations!)

Books by Everett Peacock to wisk you away to the Islands & Hard to find Tiki Mugs to enjoy your drinks in

More coming in every day! Get your tickets here: Waikiki Tiki: Spend An Evening in Paradise

M

Aloha,

Do any locals out there have recommendations for hotels near Don The Beachcomber?

Thanks in advance!
Darrin

On 2011-08-30 15:24, mr_retro wrote:
Aloha,

Do any locals out there have recommendations for hotels near Don The Beachcomber?

Thanks in advance!
Darrin

There are Hotel Accomodations only 100 feet away! Call the 777 Motor Inn @ 714-846-5561. The reviews have always been mixed about this place, but most recently I had friends stay there and they loved it (and the price is right!)

There is also a Best Western a mile or so down the road. The Harbour Inn and Suites 16912 Pacific Coast Highway, Sunset Beach, California, 90742, US Phone: 562/592-4770

The Ocean View Motel is also within stumbling distance if you need to stay very close...(No reviews though)16196 Pacific Coast Highway, Sunset Beach - (562) 592-2700

Aloha,

On 2011-08-30 12:59, SoccerTiki wrote:
The items for the raffle are coming in. More coming in every day!

Get your tickets here:

Waikiki Tiki: Spend An Evening in Paradise

Mahalo Nui Loa Everybody. I am still undecided about exactly which very tasty artifact from the book "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" that I will be contributing to the festivities. I did at one time have a "Big." I feel the Big Brothers and sisters Honolulu do great work in a place where it is very needed. I applaud Chris and Karen for thinking of this excellent addition to the festivities. Whatever I bring, I'm sure it will go to a good home.

C

Got my tickets last night, and am really looking forward to it!

Caltiki Brent

On 2011-08-31 09:57, congawa wrote:
Got my tickets last night, and am really looking forward to it!

Caltiki Brent

Mahaloz Brent! Looking forward to a very fun and interesting "Tiki" evening! Also...THANK YOU for stepping up for Mike Adler's benefit!!! Playing that night along with the band swag you are donating is very cool!!! You lead by example my friend!

Ticket sales are picking up mid-week as expected. This will be a great event to attend for you true tikiphiles! Support Don the Beachcomber, Phillip Roberts and The Smokin' Menehunes!!! And escape to paradise for the evening! (Like the old days) :)

Three more days.......WooHoo! :)

HT

I just receiced the Tiki Mug from my friend GECKO that will be in the charity auction on Sunday Sept 4
at Dons the Beachcomber. It is the KONA GOLD MUG made in Hawaii.

Thank you Roger for coordinating with Gecko. And thank you Gecko for donating the Milan Guanko inspired Kona Gold mug!!! Very nice!

M

I decided "I gotta be there!" so I just bought my ticket and am looking forward to showin' support for my old wacky pal Fil Slash! See you Sunday!!

HT

Another Great Mug that will be in the charity auction on Sunday Sept 4, a seahorse mug from Trader Vic's in Honolulu in beautiful shape. It is hard not to get inspired by this presentation that many people went to Florida to see and it was canceled.

Aloha,

WOW. I don't personallly own one of those Trader Vic's Polynesian Pottery Seahorse mugs and I always seemed to get out bid. It's one of those few things that had elluded me in my over 17+ year search while making the book. Most of the things I most craved rarely stayed in the islands. These tourist things, brought back to remember a great vacation are only occasionally found here.

I guess I'll have to buy a couple of tickets too. :) Good cause!

It's going to be great to see you Holden and I appreciate your support.

I promise a great show. "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii" has taken on a life of it's own and grown to over 400 images. The **ACTUAL VOICE OF DONN "THE BEACHCOMBER" BEACH ** being heard for the first time since his passing in 1989 is a special 2 minutes.

FYI, If there are any "Exotica" radio shows or other media in LA that would like to interview me about the book or the program, please ask. I will be happy to make myself available on Saturday (and Sunday Morning) after I land.

best,

Phillip

M

Thanks for the hotel info SoccerTiki!
It was a big help.

Best,
Darrin

TM

This is going to be a nice, old school tiki event! The Smokin' Menehunes hope you all enjoy our old-fashioned, relaxing vibe!

Aloha,

I'm off to the airport and will be out of touch for a few hours. Looking forward to seeing good friends, old and new. I hear LA has some spots I should check out.

best,

Phillip

Aloha,

I'm off to the airport and will be out of touch for a few hours. Looking forward to seeing good friends, old and new. I hear LA has some spots I should check out.

best,

Phillip

HOK

On 2011-09-01 13:28, HB TIKI wrote:
I just receiced the Tiki Mug from my friend GECKO that will be in the charity auction on Sunday Sept 4
at Dons the Beachcomber. It is the KONA GOLD MUG made in Hawaii.

That looks like one of the limited edition mugs(25) made for the Mai Tai festival on the Big Island ...nice!

Phillip Roberts and Beachbum Berry at La Mariana

Aloha, Freddie

WooHoo! One More Day!! During this event we will be doing a Raffle to help raise money for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Honolulu Organization.

Big Brothers and Big sisters of Honolulu

Raffle Tickets will be $5 a piece or 8 Tickets for $20

Aloha!

** I have arrived safe and sound! So stoked! This is going to be so MUCH FUN!**

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-09-03 10:24 ]

Wow! Phil brought this over from Hawaii to be in the raffle!!! A pre-1960 piece:

Come to the show! Purchase your tickets here: Waikiki Tiki: Spend An Evening in Paradise

Aloha,

I hope you in LA are making plans to come by Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach tomorrow night,
to see the awesome show and hear the voice of the BEACHCOMBER!.

I know you will enjoy my talk about Hawaii and the original & vintage photographs!

Best,

Phillip

Thank you to all who purchased tickets in advance! There will be tickets available at the door. Please be there at 6:30 to purchase tickets. The Smokin' Menehunes will begin at 6:45pm. There is a bar inside the Hidden Village so go directly to the back of Don the Beachcomber. See you tonight!

Woohoo! Tonight's the night...See you in a few.

Crazy Al will be our Crazy raffler for the evening! It's gonna be a crazy fun night!

Aloha! Almost getting ready to start the festivities! I understand that tickets are available at the door. Already meeting some very nice people! Come on by Don the BEACHCOMBER in Huntington Beach!

Best,

Phillip

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to Everyone who Spent The Evening in Paradise With Us at Don's last night. It was so good to see so many old friends and to meet some new friends too :) What a Fun Night.....WooHooo!

Aloha,

It was a great evening. Thanks so very much to everyone that came to the show! I still have some books and if anyone would like to get one autographed, so I don't have to take them on the plane, I will bring some to Donn's tonight for TC night. Stop by, say hi, and talk story.

Phillip

Congratulations Phil on a great presentation/evening! Thank you to all who came out on Sunday to eat, listen to good music and view an interesting slide show with friends! (And what a well-dressed bunch of people!) It looked like everyone was dressed for a luau!!!

A BIG MAHALO to our sponsor PRIMO BEER! And thank you to Don the Beachcomber for supplying the PERFECT venue for this fun event!!!
More pics from last night.

Mahalo! Mahalo ! Mahalo to Gecko, HB Tiki, Hot Tiki, Everette Peacock, Big Toe, Devin (Primo Beer), Art & Delia and Don The Beachcomber, Philip Roberts, and SoccerTiki for all your donations and for All of You who bought Raffle Tickets to benefit The Big Brother Big Sister of Honolulu Organization. We Raised $245 from our little event for the organization! Thanks for making a difference :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-09-10 08:08 ]

Looks like a good time was had by all. Sorry we missed it, but ATP and I were recovering from our big move. We are still hurting, but will be able to resume a social life again. Yay! :)

HT

Please give ATP some Geritol, or let him listen his favorite disco albums.

HT

More pictures from the presentation:

HT

one more picture

Pages: 1 2 82 replies