Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

June Gloom

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

Man! For some reason this years So. Cal. "June Gloom" seems to be tweekin' us coastal people out! What's up!?! Where's the sun???

H

The world's gone flat-out wrong... we've got clear skies up here, and we're supposed to hit 80 this week. What's that shiny spot in the sky? Sincerely, when the sun finally comes out up here, people can't handle all the light, and there are traffic accidents. I'm not kidding.

J

I'm wondering where the sun has gone myself! Here in Maryland we usually start warming up by mid-May and we have had constant bad weather for weeks! The temperatures are still mostly in the 50's and we had rain for 24 days in May! I'm starting to get pissed off! By now it should be warm enough to sleep with the windows open and I'm downstairs yesterday trying to get the furnace to run! I figured out yesterday that the, excuse my language, god damned heat has been on in our house for 9 fucking months! This is ridiculous!!! Where is summer damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe June will be better.....

Summer is here dammit! Woke up this morning at 6:00, looked at the thermostat and it said 77 degrees.
The 80 degree nights are great for partying.

T

Ben,

Look on the bright side (ha ha), it's only cloudy on the weekends..., wait, the sucks!

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2003 9:35 AM

well, here in lovely orlando, try driving around with no a/c when it's already in the 80s at nine in the morning.
this is like trying to walk through a boiling sponge.

80s?!?
You guys are wimps. Try 106! Two days in a row last week, and several triple digit days since. 80s...HAH! I wish it were that cold in Bakersfield. :D

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2003 1:26 PM

i said 80s at 9 am - not for the rest of the day :wink:

but you're right, i think 106 has us beat. we're still in the 90s. feels like an oven, though. especially in the sun. you can get burnt in 15 minutes.

On 2003-06-03 13:26, Rain wrote:
i said 80s at 9 am - not for the rest of the day :wink:

That'll teach me to read more carefully :o
The even stranger thing about Bakersfield in spring is some days you need the car's heater on the way to work in the morning, and the AC on the way home!

Patrick McNeal

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2003-06-03 14:50 ]

B

I've been trying to finish up a house painting gig for the last week, but we've had rain every day till yesterday. But now that the sun's out we have nothing but wind! You should see all the bugs and leaves stuck to the side of the house!

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2003 5:48 PM

f-in' june.

Ben
As a very wise man once said - "This too shall pass". Everyone always seems to think the begining of So.Cal. summer is Memorial Day...B.S. Summer is 4th of July to Labor Day! See ya at the beach.
SWJ

On 2003-06-03 17:48, Rain wrote:
f-in' june.

Amen, brah.

T

Oh my god, see this?
(2 forefinger rubbing together).
THAT'S MY WORLD'S SMALLEST VIOLIN!!!!!

-Please do not tease, feed or annoy the Canadian.

TC

sssssssssssssssshhhhhh...

you hear that?

it's maniacal laughter carried on the wind all the way from WARM, SUNNY, DRY LONDON!

(btw, january, february & march were THE driest months in london's recorded history!)

MMMMMWWWA HAAA HAA HA!

T

Ok...now come on....
We live in Torrance (next to Redondo Beach) part of Los Angeles county.
Yes we have "June Gloom" overcast skys in the mornings. But things usually clear up at about 12p or 1p. And if you drive a little inland (approx 5 miles) you'll start to have sunshine.
My wife and I usually drive on down to Palm Springs everyother weekend to enjoy the sun. So it's not as bad as some people think.
But the beach areas this time of year are "hit and miss" days.

Clouds along the coast are great crowd control. Anything that keeps the yahoos away from the beach works for me. Those of us who live in SoCal must keep in mind that our summer is actually October through December when the weather is here is great compared with most of the country (Florida exempt).

Now does that sound like a locals only attitude or what.

Yah dude, surfs up

Da Monkeyman

MonkeyDude!

I hear ya with the cloud cover keeping the T ratio (tourist to local) down, but unfortunately Billy Bob walks outside of his trailer after opening up his welfare check for inbreds, looks up in the sky at the blazing inland Sun, forgets that looking at the Sun hurts your eyes, stops for about 30 minutes to come up with a thought, then spouts "Golly, it shore is hot here. I think I will take my family (note - this is the hyphen-type family -'sister-wife', 'brother-daddy', 'son-brother') to thee beach!". Then once again thinks "man o man, the aluminum on the side of my man-u-fact-ured home shore is pretty when the Sun is a shinin' on it!".

So they head down road to the beach, only to find it's overcast and cold. No problem - they just wear their Wrangler tight-fittin' jeans and cowboy boots to the sand and break out the banjos!

Ba-da-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding. "make up squeal like a pig!"

M

*Billy Bob walks outside of his trailer after opening up his welfare check for inbreds, *

Correct, Huntington Beach has dozens of trailer parks. As I recall it seemed one could not travel a quarter mile without passing a trailer park. Huntington Beach has over 3,000 mobile homes. I knew a few folks who lived in some of the parks, but no one named Billy Bob.

Sounds like things have changed since I lived there.

midnite

Ba-da-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding. "make up squeal like a pig!"

Is the make up on the pig? because then it's okay.

T

[i]On 2003-06-04 14:26, midnite_tiki wrote
Sounds like things have changed since I lived there.

midnite

Yeah, except you're not here.

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2003 5:43 PM

Weather? hmmm pardaise is paradise!! whish you were all here to enjoy da trade winds and da sun.....and da grinds and da wahines/kanes and da surf and da pakalolo and da cocktails and da kine! like i wen sed "paradise is paradise"

aloha

Gek! Must have been your good vibe. Today we saw sun! Mucho Mahalos to you lizard man!!!

The curse has been lifted...Ye Hah! Now if I can just get outta of these tight-fittin' Wrangler jeans & find my board shorts, I'm headin' for the beach.

B
Boob posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2003 8:30 AM

Just cut them off like the rest of the Good Ol Boys doo!

H

91 degrees & sunny is the forecast in Seattle today... is it still craptacular down in HB?

T

It was drizzling this morning, had to hit the whipers most of the way from HB to East LA. It's still mo' better then Riverside.

"Damn glad to be here!"

Trustar

T

Yep, the typical "May Gray" and "June Gloom" this month. But when it's August and September with a sweltering 105 degree day we'll be asking for this kind of weather.

Wasn't last Thanksgiving and Christmas like in the 80's? That's what I did about H.B.! When all the other saps are frezing their arsses off, we are at the beach during the holidaze! It's just that this years June Gloom has been a little heavier than normal. Alot of mist! Wet mist! Oh well, I guess.

R
Rain posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2003 10:34 PM

i still think rain and cool is better than this spongy florida heat and humidity.
(i don't call myself "rain" fer nothin'.)
the grass is always greener, i suppose.

i don't think i'm the only one, either - when you look out the mai kai bar's windows, what do you see? fake rain. not sunlamps.

ben i'm with you. these guys forget what we pay in RENT compared to them, and my rental agreement clearly states sunshine and nothing else but until november blah blah snivel ............at least the big guy gave us great weather for a couple of years.

Aloha, Ben. The Sun is in Phoenix -- 108 this past weekend! Burnt my tooties on the hot asphalt! It was good to come back home to "Cool" HB.

Cool or Un-Cool???

Today was gloomiest June in the 909 in recent memory. When I left work it was raining and about 55 degrees. I was totally bummed until I hit the 22 fwy. From there, I could see the sun breaking through the gloom!

T and I had dinner at Chimayo on the Beach tonight in HB and watched the sun set over the Long Beach peninsula! 3 mojitos and a free lobster dinner later we were watching the waves crash along the pier!

I officially declare June Gloom over!!!!

Looks like it's gonna be a great weekend!

T

Let's hope the cooler weather is over! I was cold enough today to throw a sweatshirt on and turn on the heat in the house. The weather only turned this way because I just took my down comforter off my bed the day before. haa
"here comes the rain again. Falling on my head like a memory"

T

Arty

We were just above you last night at Fred's. It was a B-E-A-U-tiful sunset. Let's hope to become familier with the sun again.

Trustar

S

Rain almost every day here too, for weeks. I can't get the pool opened. And I hear Fort Lauderdale had gotten 14 inches of rain recently. Been checking weather for a week. Finally! This weekend here and in Savannah (our first stop on the way to Hukilau) it's clear! Clear skies in Fort Liquordale would just be perfect!

Trustar,

Last night was one of the best nights of the year downtown. I bet you had a great view from Fred's.

Chimayo just changed there menu to a more "tropical" theme. They have tremendously improved their cuisine and even added a host of rum drinks including the "Chimaitai", Johnny T's Punch (Voodoo Rum, Myers, pineapple, etc.) and the Mojito. You can skip the first two, but they make a mean Mojito!

First day of summer and still cloudy!

Everyone pray for sun!!!

Happy Summer Solstice!

Ah HA! ! !

June Gloom be gone!!! Yip eeeee!!

We "So. Cali Tribe" must have brought the Hukilau back with us from Fl.. Mmmmmmmmmm! Tropical to da max brudda!! My plumeria smell like the ones on da islands!! Mahlos for the June Gloom Bug to be gone!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Sleepin naked with the fan on and no sheets!!! The way we were meant to be!!! 73 degree ocean! Body surf before work and after! Ahhhh! Bamboo be happy now. No more complaints out of me!

C

Aloha from America's Desert Playground where we pray for crappy weather from Santa Barbara to the Mexican border. Thanks to the "June Gloom" on the coast we were able to pay our bills.

You know you're welcome anytime, Ben! Just bring Mrs. Ben with you!

As usual, we are enjoying sunny, clear skies, and warm, moonlit, romantic nights. This is my favortie time of the year in the desert.

BUMP!

No sun for a few daze. YIKES! Da June Gloom Bug has Bitten!!

Arrrr!!!

p.s But where are the June Bugs???

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 9:47 PM

dude ive been fisshin plenty of june bugs out of the pools, but not as many as usual...

MG

No June Bugs in the Jungle of Mean Gene yet....

T

No June bugs here.

The world is not right.

We used to have June Bugs up the ying yang!

Maybe they flew north for the winter?

Aye Carumba!!!!

p.s. on the other hand....the Wedge was "Picture-esk" the beginning of the week.

Maybe we get more south swell this year and Jelly Fish again ?

I'm all for the south swells too - let's get cabrillo pumpin'! (if you could ever call it that...). I'm all for more jellies (like the sea nettles), but I'd really like to see the return of the Jumbo Squid (AKA Humbolt Squid) THAT would be cool!!!

It's been the wettest June gloom I have experienced yet. The last couple of days have been completely overcast (the sun usually burns off the fog around 2 or 3 in the afternoon) and it's been misting/raining lightly all day. Very weird. This reminds me of east coast weather, not so cal.

C

It's been pretty nice up here in Norcal, except for a few days of wind and allergies. A nice little swell was runnnin' and I was able too finally able to break free of the BS and get wet a couple times this past week. No June bugs up here either. If they went north they kept going past Santa Cruz. I am sure our days are numbered and the gloom is headin' our way soon. At least the local mountain towns burn off earlier than the beach cities.

Chongolio

M

JUNE GLOOM my A**.....

I have driven to and from work EVERY day for the past 5 days in the rain. WTF???

Im a whiner.... yeah I know.

Pages: 1 2 47 replies