Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Another Vic's Bites the Dust - this time in Scottsdale, AZ

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

J

Just posted on Facebook by Trader Vic's Scottsdale:

We regretfully announce that after dinner on Saturday, July 30, we will no longer be in operation. Please come and visit us before then! Stay tuned for an exciting new dining concept from Hotel Valley Ho; details will be announced soon.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2011-07-17 13:30 ]

Yep, so, so sad :(.

Happy to have had the opportunity to visit and throw ouur little wing ding there in the summer of '06!

not surprised. the bar seemed to do ok but the restaurant was almost always empty. what a shame.

TS

I still look towards their Corporate for the constant failures. Somebody(ies) up at the top is(are) only in it for the quick paychecks, and not for the longevity, integrity, nor success of the company. I've NEVER seen a company in recent times open and close soo many locations, and who have so few locations to begin with.

Sorry for the Scottsdale, AZ loss Arizonians...but I can say that, I'm not all that surprised.

Z
zond2 posted on Wed, Jul 13, 2011 6:20 AM

Even for Scottsdale their food was overpriced and underquality... charging for each soda refill during a meal what's up with that?

A

I think most Trader Vic's are doomed. They're too expensive in general, and in a down economy there's little chance of them surviving.

G

On 2011-07-13 10:19, arriano wrote:
...in a down economy there's little chance of them surviving.

Sure there is. Business travelers going to conventions. I'm sure that's what has kept the Atlanta Trader Vic's alive and well all these years. If you go on a weekend, it's completely dead in there. But weekdays are for those on expense accounts. I imagine that's a key survival strategy. People on convention/business travel want to unwind and escape (and that dreaded word: network) at the end of the day. And what a perfect place for that. Unfortunately, in this day and age a Trader Vic's relying on locals and weekend partiers is a much dicier prospect and one that I would not bet my money on.

Oh this is terrible news. We were just there enjoying their outdoor patio for Spring Training. I'm so sad. I've been there several times, we're in No. Cal. We always make the trip there if we are nearby.

I could cry.

Scottsdale was my first Trader Vic's experience, having been there a couple of years ago. I had a great time ... a really cool place, unlike any bar I had been to before, and where I had my first 'authentic' Mai Tai. The manager actually comp'd us a free drink when we told him we were from Canada and we talked hockey. But I can relate to poor business. It was late October, during the week and we were the only ones there from opening till about 8 p.m. I was wondering where all the people were. Too bad, I was looking forward to going back there this fall when we're in Phoenix.

[ Edited by: Hanalei Tiki 2011-07-13 17:47 ]

Sad. San Francisco closed about two years ago and now Scottsdale.
All that investment in Tiki, which doesn't pan out, has to be noticed by other potential investors.

On 2011-07-14 08:28, christiki295 wrote:
Sad. San Francisco closed about two years ago and now Scottsdale.
All that investment in Tiki, which doesn't pan out, has to be noticed by other potential investors.

Add Chicago to the list of Trader Vic failures.
Coincidence?

Going to miss the Scottsdale TVs. I know some of the purists had a problem with the decor, but we loved it! Sipping a Mai Tai on their outdoor "sandy beach", feeling the warm Arizona heat! It's always been one of our favorite Vics and each and every time we'd been there, just a blast!. We'd always planned on a future stay at the Valley Ho, just so we could stumble back to our room! I guess we missed the boat on that one! Darn!

B

Bellevue's died a couple years ago - replaced by some dark, sterile yuppy bar. I hardly had a chance to realize it was there before they closed it down. I think the problem is where they put it - the whole area is theme parkesque with all the glitz and lights and cookie-cutter businesses - and tucked away in a garage-like space is this over-priced Tiki restaurant! Oh, it LOOKED good inside (the door was literally located inside the garage!), and if you just stuck to the pupu menu the food wasn't too bad, but it just wasn't worth the hassle and high prices.

J

So this is a closure rate of at least one location per year for the last 5 years...

1. Scottsdale - July, 2011
  2. Chicago - June, 2011
  3. Dallas - 2010
  4. Las Vegas - 2009
  5. Bellevue - 2008
  6. Beverly Hills - 2007
  7. San Francisco - 2007

If I've been tracking it correctly.

EDIT - I forgot about SF. And wasn't there one in China that didn't last long ?? I don't pay much attention to the international locations, so maybe the global closure list is even longer (Germany ?). :(

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-15 14:49 ]

looks like they are opening one next month though in Portland Oregon?

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-07-15 14:42 ]

On 2011-07-15 14:29, JOHN-O wrote:
So this is a closure rate of at least one location per year for the last 5 years...

2. Chicago - June, 2011
  3. Dallas - 2010
  4. Las Vegas - 2009
  5. Bellevue - 2008
  6. Beverly Hills - 2007
  7. San Francisco - 2007

How many millions has Trader Vic's lost by investing in, building, and then closing, its restaurants? Even if it uses little of its own $$$, and relies on hedge funds, etc., it doesn't look like it can be making much.

Can they hire away the General Manager of Roys?

J

Actually if I understand the franchise model correctly, Trader Vic's the corporation (or rather NUBECO LLC) doesn't lose money on the investment, it's the unfortunate franchise owner that does. :(

Has the time really past for Trader Vic's (as a restaurant) ?? Maybe the future is to leverage their brand soley as a bar/lounge and just serve appetizers. If so in this New Cocktailian age, they need to ditch (or upgrade) their well rum.

Yes John, a Shanghai location closed recently and one in Spain also closed.

TS

What John stated is what really bothers me with the Vic's corporation. Looking from the outside-in, it seems like Vic's doesn't really give two shits about the survival of already built or already paid for and invested-in properties.

It seems more realistic that Vic's is only interested in finding new investors to build, and to cover their corporate paychecks with fresh coinage. It is only my opinion, but that is exactly what the bare bones of it looks to me. Sure, I understand it is more complicated than that, but that's my cliffs notes version.

Personally, ever since TVBH butchering, I lost all respect for their business dealings altogether. They lied, and hid from questions until they HAD to go public with the information, at which time the fate was already sealed and carried out. I can see their point why, but it doesn't make it any less shady.

Glad we have alternatives like Don's, Tonga, Trader Sam's, and Tiki Ti left in SoCal, and 'at least' one of them has a proven track record, second to none.

I know for a fact that Trader Vic's corporate really fought to keep the Beverly Hills location. I don't think they are to blame completely for such missteps like Las Vegas, it is at the franchise owner's digression what they do with THEIR idea of a modernized version. I believe the public is to "blame", most of all. Look at Dallas: What a marvelous place, but obviously under-appreciated by the local restaurant goers. There is no broad cultural context for this style in the general public, it has to be slowly rebuilt. I think the company has been trying to find a new style in this new world, and depending on the locations and versions, has met varying results.

I hold high hopes for the new Portland Trader Vic's, they are conscious and appreciative of the original culture, and a community exists in town to appreciate such a venue. If their menu and prices can compete in the tough current climate, they should do well.

True, the Beverly Hills location folded as the entire site was to be redeveloped.
Each location may have its unique issues which led to closure.
However, in comparison to Roy's, the franchises seem to be mismanaged, which undoubtably will harm the brend in the future, i.e, we should not expect to see to many more Trader Vics, unfortunately.

It really is too bad, too, when Trader Vics could have enjoyed the success of an upper end chain like Ruth Chris, or be a shopping mall Chinese food franchise like P.F. Chang.

I wouldn't write Trader Vic's off just yet. Globally there are plenty of locations that are proudly keeping the Trader's legacy alive and well. A few doors may have just closed in the U.S. but others are opening. The Earth is rumbling in Portland and the eruption is imminent. It's going to be a big one.

G

On 2011-07-16 15:22, TraderVic'sPDX wrote:
I wouldn't write Trader Vic's off just yet. Globally there are plenty of locations that are proudly keeping the Trader's legacy alive and well. A few doors may have just closed in the U.S. but others are opening. The Earth is rumbling in Portland and the eruption is imminent. It's going to be a big one.

My fingers are crossed for the upcoming Portland Trader Vic's location. I really hope you guys succeed. But it seems to me as an outside observer that in order to compete in Portland you will need to up the ante a bit from the average Vic's. Portland is home to so many restaurants (my son told me recently, most per capita in the U.S.?) and many of them focus on dishes that are locally sourced, environmentally sustainable, etc. And I applaud all that. If you guys can capture that spirit plus offer traditional Trader Vic's cocktails plus new ones that aspire to the level of those served at places like the Teardrop Lounge in Portland, then you will definitely get everyone's attention.

Chef Mike comes from Trader Vic's Atlanta. The menu he's put together is a beautiful combo of classic Trader Vic's and contemporary Northwest cuisine. He's taking full advantage of the incredible local ingredients and flavors and we'll have some great new dishes on the menu right out of the gate. Several of us on the inside (each of us Portland food snobs) have been lucky enough to taste his cooking and we have no doubt he'll be able to hold his own even in this town. In Mike we trust.

As for cocktails, watch this space (or our FB page) for news in the coming weeks.

The folks behind Trader Vic's Portland are in it because they are passionate about the brand and bringing the magic back to Portland. At the end of the day, the proof is in the Mai Tai. Only time will tell if the new restaurant will be as successful as the old one was, but there's every reason to be optimistic.

M

THIS SUCKS BIG TIME! We loved the Scottsdale Vic's and it is (or was) a relatively short drive to get to. :(

M

I'm glad we just had a chance to visit it!

I've never been to any of the locations. Which ones are worth making the trip to before any more closings?

G

On 2011-07-15 14:29, JOHN-O wrote:

2. Chicago - June, 2011
  3. Dallas - 2010
  4. Las Vegas - 2009
  5. Bellevue - 2008
  6. Beverly Hills - 2007
  7. San Francisco - 2007

EDIT - I forgot about SF.

You also forgot about Destin, Florida - 2009. But it was a disaster from the get-go.

G

On 2011-07-16 22:27, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
I've never been to any of the locations. Which ones are worth making the trip to before any more closings?

In the U.S. or globally? It's totally a matter of personal opinion as to which ones are worth a trip. For me, Emeryville and Atlanta are worth the trip and possibly L.A. too. I haven't been to any outside the U.S., but I'd definitely make a trip to the London, Munich and Tokyo locations. My tastes run to the classic, traditionally decorated Vic's, so your mileage may vary.

On 2011-07-16 21:49, mrsmiley wrote:
I'm glad we just had a chance to visit it!

And I am saddened that with the exception of Bev Hills & SF, I did not have the opportunity to visit any of them. But, I would have done so given enough time.

I, too, hope Portland does well. They need to change the kharma.

M

On 2011-07-17 09:31, christiki295 wrote:

And I am saddened that with the exception of Bev Hills & SF, I did not have the opportunity to visit any of them. But, I would have done so given enough time.

Hi, Scottsdale is only 5 1/2 hours away from Downtown LA. I don't know where you live in LA, but that is a SHORTER drive than going to San Francisco! You have two weekends left. Start planning a roadtrip!
I would love to visit one my time myself-I will have to check my finances!

I'm going to hit the Scottsdale Vic's this friday with some friends if anybody wants to meet up let me know.

I'm really hoping that Trader Vic's in Portland can turn it around, but I'm worried about the location. There are only a couple of hotels nearby and I think that's an important feature. In fact, the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse closed down their shop and re-opened in a new location specifically to be closer to the hotels. But there's no magic formula. The TVs in Dallas and Scottsdale were in hotels and they still failed for one reason or another.

With that said, I'm still looking forward to the Portland TV and have my fingers crossed that they will do well. Portland has a real dislike of most chain restaurants, but it seems like the foodies are willing to give TV a chance.

I was just at the Scottsdale TV's the weekend before last, when they had a big "5 year party" celebration. It was not really a great scene for the party - lots of people there, but not a crowd that really appreciated the history. For god's sake they had a DJ and a dance floor set up!

I absolutely love going there though, along with staying at the Hotel Valley Ho, and I am REALLY going to miss it. This is really terrible news.

On a side note, I'm also crushed that I had missed that they closed the Dallas Vic's - I had so wanted to visit there, as it seemed to be the only one left that was "Classic" rather than the new modern feel.

Crap. This week has been really sucky.

On 2011-07-20 18:30, Kona Chris wrote:

On a side note, I'm also crushed that I had missed that they closed the Dallas Vic's - I had so wanted to visit there, as it seemed to be the only one left that was "Classic" rather than the new modern feel.

Crap.

As for United States trader Vics, the Atlanta Vic's still is very Classic and (as best as I can tell) the recently remodeled Emeryville location is still classic. Now as for the foreign ones, I think a bunch still are classic-but that may be better left for another thread. Something like "Which Trader Vic's are the most classic ones to go see"

Oh wait... I just started that thread!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40673&forum=16&0

It is a shame and every TC member that can visit it should before it is gone after dinner on Saturday July 30!

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2011-08-08 08:04 ]

Less than 10 days away.

Yes, the clock is ticking. :(

The clock is ticking indeed. My trip to the Scottsdale Vic's tonight is posponed due to being sidelined by a flu bug. I am currently staying out here, so any other nite anyone is up for going before they close, please let me know.
Midnite, check your pm's.
-Jon

ooooh yeah, feeling much better today. Trader Vic's is definitely on for tonite.
I may have to fend off the freddy cougars all by myself tonite. they always seem to find me!

haha....went to Vic's with my favorite cousin Kristen. Got a bit smashed on too many navy grogs & left my credit card there, with an open tab. What the hell, I'll go back tomorrow & maybe keep that tab open a wee bit longer.
Seems like everyone there has short timers disease. Service was not great, unless you went to the bar to get your own drinks. We spent hours out on the patio & the cocktail waitress never approached us once. Any other time I would've raised hell, but considering the circumstances, I just rolled with it. They didn't even have any regular mai tai glasses, just plain cocktail glasses. I was told that people have been stealing damn near everything they can get their hands on, especially the glassware.
My favorite bartender, JK (I hope thats right, I'm still a bit drunk) took care of us & mixed some strong ones even during happy hour :)
I'm gonna miss this spot....& my credit card.

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy 2011-07-24 03:24 ]

yeah, I just called TV's & found out that they are closed Sunday/Monday during the summer months, then called the Valley Ho & was told that usually they turn in any left cards into housekeeping.
HOUSEKEEPING??? hmmm, yeah that seems safe.
looks like I will not being seeing my credit card as soon as I thought, if ever. :(
sure, we closed the place down, but, ironically, all the bartenders left before we did. they could've given me a heads up to close my tab before they left.

S

Somewhere around here I have a number of pix from our visit a few years back, I'll dig around a bit and see if I can get some up.

It's really sad to hear about the impending closure as we thought the TV and Valley Ho made for a really good combination. (Along with the pre-exisiting TV's history in Scottsdale.)

Those who can really should make the pilgrimage before it's too late. I wish we could make it one last time ourselves.

M

I don't think we can make it one last time :(

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!
TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2011-08-08 08:05 ]

Scottsdale's legendary Trader Vic's restaurant is closing at the end of the month.

A new restaurant will take its place and offer lunch and dinner to appeal to guests at the Hotel Valley Ho, hotel spokeswoman Kristin Heggli said.

The new restaurant will have an expanded bar, and the kitchen will be led by chef Charles Wiley. Trader Vic's, a Polynesian-themed restaurant and bar, is part of a chain founded in 1934 in Oakland, Calif., and has been a fixture in downtown Scottsdale at 77 W. Fifth Ave. from 1962 to 1990.

It was reborn as part of the Hotel Valley Ho's renovation five years ago.

"The Scottsdale culinary scene requires continuous change to remain fresh and innovative," said William Nassikas, president and COO of Westroc Hotels and Resorts in a statement. "As restaurants evolve, so do the patrons that frequent them, and this particular venue beckons for something new."

The restaurant generally attracts a steady crowd at its large bar area. The menu features Polynesian and French fare.

The Scottsdale location is one of several franchise-owned Trader Vic's that have closed in the past year, the most recent in Chicago. A new location is opening in two weeks in Portland, Ore.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2011/07/14/20110714scottsdale-trader-vics-close-new-restaurant.html#ixzz1TDph74Ef

[i]On 2011-07-26 07:35, christiki295 wrote:

Trader Vic's, a Polynesian-themed restaurant and bar, is part of a chain founded in 1934 in Oakland, Calif., and has been a fixture in downtown Scottsdale at 77 W. Fifth Ave. from 1962 to 1990.
It was reborn as part of the Hotel Valley Ho's renovation five years ago.

"The Scottsdale culinary scene requires continuous change to remain fresh and innovative," said William Nassikas, president and COO of Westroc Hotels and Resorts in a statement.

I wonder if this Trader Vics is part of a new business model wherein there is a 5-year cycle on eating & dining establishments, particularly at hotels?

Does anyone know how long Taboo Cove lasted at the Venetian?

[ Edited by: christiki295 2011-07-27 07:27 ]

Give it a rest already, Chris.

Taboo Cove was doomed because it had no direct entrance from the hotel and casino and shops. Plus Vegas does not have the demographic for such a place anymore. That whole town is on another planet (not one in MY cosmos) that has nothing to do with what it once was.

As I said, the causes for these closures are largely based on individual franchise factors - plus the fact that the context for the brand is not understood by the general public. It needs to be re-enticed. Beyond that, there's no mystery to it, harping on the why and wherefores will not solve anything.

Pages: 1 2 63 replies