Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Mag Release Party August 5th at the Purple Orchid

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

Aloha,

Come join us for the release of the new issue of Tiki Magazine at the Purple Orchid in El Segundo on Friday, August 5th at 8pm. Cover artist, THOR, will be there to sign the new issue. The band the Hula Girls, our featured musicians in the new issue, will be playing starting at 9pm. Hope to see you there.

Mahalo,

Nick

SWEET!!!!

I'll be there, Kahuna Nick!
Here's to The Purple Orchid! Yay!

J

Hooray!

J

Awesome!

Boy those Hula Girls really been gettin around
A lot lately.

Jeff (btd)

Sure have!
Two weeks away!!

Q.? You know what they say about Hula Girls that "get around" don't you?

A. they have Nice and dependable cars.
what did you think I was gonna say?

Jeff(btd)

Kool, hope to make it to get my copy of Tiki Magazine!

C

Dang. The Ding Dong Devils are headed to NorCal next Friday to play a private party, but I hope it goes well and look forward to the new issue!

Caltiki Brent

J

I think the Ding Dong Devils should be featured in the next Tiki Magazine !! Their time has come.

"Who is your favorite luau band ?..."

:)

We're gonna have Dinah AND Judy joining us on stage for this show! Two BIG sets of music for you all!
Gonna be a good one!

J

This week's big So Ca event...

And I love it when I don't have to get on the freeway for my Tiki. :)

A very prominent figure in the tiki scene wrote the article on our band. It's gonna be a great read, I guarantee it!

Also, I'm in the process of building some amazing lighted go-go boxes for dinah and Judy! It's gonna be a really cool show!!

I want one of them lighted Go-Go Boxes!!!!

TM

Dumb question: Will the magazine be available for sale at the gig?

The lighted go-go boxes will not be for sale. The new issue of the magazine WILL. There is a big section on the girls of The Hula Girls too!

TM

On 2011-08-01 13:52, Luckydesigns wrote:
The lighted go-go boxes will not be for sale. The new issue of the magazine WILL. There is a big section on the girls of The Hula Girls too!

Can't wait to see those boxes! I bet they will be very shagadelic baby!

N

Can't wait for the show! The new issue will be available. Here's a sneak peak of the new cover created by THOR showcasing the feature article "Tiki in Comics" by Matt Rios. A great article blending the two worlds. There will also be a print available of the cover art at the event. Hope to see everyone there!

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2011-08-01 22:23 ]

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2011-08-01 22:25 ]

Very cool!

J

sooo cool!!!!!

TS

I'm with John-O on the freeway thing. Great to have Tiki near home. It makes getting back soooo much easier.
See ya all there!

N

This is turning out to be a great night! Check out what's in store:

1. Hang out and have great drinks at the Purple Orchid (as they're celebrating their 10th year).

2. New issue of Tiki Mag.

3)Print available of THOR's incredible cover art (THOR will be available to sign prints and mags).

1. New mug by Tiki Farm.

2. Music by the Hula Girls (our music feature, will be available to sign mags).

3. The gorgeous girls of the Hula Girls (Dinah and Judy)will be dancing and signing mags.

4. This is purely rumor, but I heard there might be a Ken Ruzic sighting, I hope so.

Should be a fun night. Hope to see you all there.

Nick

You had me at 1 thru 6 Nick,
But then you went and ruined it.
:wink:

just razzin,
its always kinda great getting man handled by Kenny,
I think.

Jeff(btd)

M
Mo-Eye posted on Wed, Aug 3, 2011 7:26 AM

I'll be there with brand new prints and posters of the new Thor image for sale - Attack of the Molten Menace

TS

On 2011-08-01 13:52, Luckydesigns wrote:

So Spike...I guess I'll meet you there on Friday. When will the girls be available to sign Tiki Mag copies...all evening, after/between the sets, hmmm?
TS

Progress on the go-go boxes!

TS, we'll be going on at 9:00 and I think the girls will be there around 8:00. I'm sure they will also be available after the first set as well.

Exciting time of the year for tiki! Purple Orchid 10 year anniversary, new tiki mag (featuring The Hula Girls and the girls of The Hula Girls), Oasis is coming up, and next weekend is the three year anniversary of The Hula Girls!

Good times!!

Nice work Spike!

TS

Congrats on the Hula Girls anniversary. I know it's hard to keep a group together. Keep doin' what it that keeps them together.
TS

Im hoping to make this... the last TIKI MAG release was great!

I hope the Hula Girls bring some of their cds and t-shirts to sell! Looking forward to seeing everyone. This makes an awesome pre-Oasis shindig, don't you think? Aloooohaaaaaaa!

We WILL certainly have tees and CDs and records available at The Purple Orchid, tomorrow night!

More progress on the go-go boxes...

TM

Everything you create is good. You are like God, but without the white beard!

N

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight! Picked up the new issue yesterday, it looks great. Thor's cover really pops!

Tonight!!

I'd say stick with the other Hula Dancers
You had before, that new one is a real Dog.
:o

See ya tonight,
Jeff btd

A REAL dog.
Hahaha....

And as hard/much as I laughed at the end of yer OC Fair gig,
Please don't invite Donna.
:roll:

Jeff btd

Really good time last night at the Purple Orchid. I'm almost ashamed to admit to that being my first visit to the Purple Orchid, but I aim to correct that problem in short order. What a fun bar.

Great tunes (was only there for the first Hula Girls set but it was 100% fun, as usual), great people, and a cool new issue of Tiki Magazine. Mahalo all around.

kevin

We saw John-O after a few head shrinkers!!! I'd hate to see what would happen if he drank a few Zombies!!!

J
  1. Fun times !! The HGs burned down the house with two great sets. :) In addition to their Tiki-inspired Hulabilly originals, it was cool to see them cover mid-century classics from Dick Dale, Elvis Presley, and Frankie "Sea Cruise" Ford. Also Dinah and Judy were smokin' on the new lighted go-go boxes.

2. The Purple Orchid is a great place for these types of shows. It has a Tiki intimate layout but space to chill out towards the back. Also the acoustics are really good too (although I was right up front). The bar staff was hustlin' to keep the drinks flowing. Thanks Dave & Rebecca !!

3. I gave up trying to take pictures since it was so dark and crowded. TC was representin'... NickTiki, MakeDaMug, Thor, Mr. J., Mr. & Mrs. Flaming Tiki, Atomic Tiki Punk, Jungle Ginger, HappyChi, KrisDrama, Bearded Bastard, Tobunga, Manuel, JonPaul, Marie, Tikiyaki, Kirby, BigTikiDude, Chuck Tatum, PolyPop, Tangaroa-Ru, SoccerTiki, WooHooWahine, and probably lot's more I can't remember. And yes Bruddah Bear does exists, it was good to finally meet him.

4. Great Tiki Mag. Maybe the BEST ever. :D

Great night out at the Purple Orchid, it was my first time there, The Hula Girls always bring it, Great job you
guys & gals!

Got to meet some new faces & my drink (A Ginger Bimbo) was smoking, literally!

You know it was a good party when you wake up and it takes a minute to figure out where you are. Luckily I discovered I was back home. But why there was a slice of cherpumple cake in my bathtub, and a leopard-print speedo in my car shall remain a mystery.

I speak partially (as only one of the writers of Tiki Magazine) to say sincere mahalo to all who celebrated the latest issue at this shindig. Rebecca and Dave are the best hosts in the world, and their Purple Orchid reflects that spirit of welcome and fun. Congratulations on ten years of Tikifying that section of Los Angeles known as El Segundo!

Nick Camara, thank YOU for continuing to put out a magazine that unifies this aloha-filled community! Cover artist Tom Thordarson, your mind-boggling talents continue to thrill us all. To everyone who was in this issue, there's a reason. You're doing wonderful things with Tiki that we all enjoy and you deserve the attention.

And for all of you who enjoy Tiki Magazine, it's past and future would not be possible without your support. Thank you for buying Tiki Magazine. And to our advertisers, heartfelt appreciation to you all. Without advertising, Tiki Magazine could not exist. That being said, EVERYONE WHO LOVES TIKI MAGAZINE, PLEASE CONSIDER TAKING OUT AN AD IN THE NEXT ISSUE. You DO NOT have to have a Tiki-themed business to advertise! Your ad will attract the attention of 17,000 (yes, Tiki Magazine is that big!) local and international like-minded readers. You may think, "Oh, I only run a little home-based jewelry business" or "Why would my bicycle repair shop be in a Tiki-themed magazine?" Well, the Tiki community is about being part of an extended ohana, and we support each other. That's part of the aloha spirit -- from sharing ideas on Tiki Central, to group invitations to each other's home Tiki bars, to opening up our hotel rooms to total strangers at our event room crawls... we are there for each other. If 17,000 people see your bicycle-repair business ad, and know that you're "Tiki ohana", they will make an effort to do business with you. And you will be playing an important role in keeping Tiki Magazine going.

Looking forward to seeing many of you very soon at Tiki Oasis!
Aloha and all the good stuff that goes with that word,
Kari Hendler

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2011-08-06 12:29 ]

[ Edited by: tangaroa-ru 2011-08-07 00:08 ]

[ Edited by: tangaroa-ru 2011-08-07 09:37 ]

[ Edited by: Tangaroa-Ru 2011-08-07 23:57 ]

What a great event on Friday night! So many tiki buddies out at The Purple Orchid for Tiki Magazine and The Hula Girls! I havent been to the Purple Orchid since I played there with The Smokin Menehunes, years ago. I forgot how amazing the place is!

This is really an amazing issue of Tiki Mag, if you haven't picked it up yet. Thanks to John-O for writing a great article on our band. And thanks to Nick for featuring us in the mag!

Our next show is THIS next Saturday with Dick Dale at the Coachhouse in San Juan Capistrano. Get your discount tix at http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

Let's see some more pictures from The Orchid!!

Great issue of TikiMag and big congrats to to The HulaGirls, Dinah, Judy & John-O for all the work
putting it together and just having such a kickass band!

Its always nice to run into Nick, Kari, Jonpaul at events, keep up all the great work!

CTiT

And it's always nice to run into YOU! Mahalo for your kind words! We hope to see you at Tiki Oasis!
Aloha from Kari

TS

Dug the show Hula Girls! Dug The Purple Orchid. Dug the Mai Tai and Sex On The Beach...a little much. The next morning, my eyes didn't exactly track with my head for a couple of hours. It took extra coffee to get stable. It was great to meet the Tiki Central folks and some of the locals that were at the Orchid and not aware of what was really happening. They expected to come have a quiet time not really getting the Tiki Lounge thing. One lady even asked me, "So what's this Tiki thing all about anyway?" I told her to go buy a magazine 'cuz I was in no shape to expound on that subject short of showing her my hula girl/tiki tattoo. I bought the past issue and the current release of Tiki Magazine. These were my first reads of the mag. Great stuff. Thanks Nick! Thanks Tom for autographing the cover. Thanks Spike for the great Tbird discussion during the break. I got a picture of me (and a fantastic Mai Tai) with Nick and Tom but who is that Kat between them with the tounge? I totally missed that.
Anyway, Spike, here are some pictures. I just shot random pics and kind of lost track of what was going on with them. I have a few more if anyone is interested. Nice Go-Go boxes by the way.
Tiki Slob

Me, Tom, Nick and "that guy"

The Girls and Spike

More of the girls and Spike

Jammin' on the Bass

Lookin' from the front door

The Go-Go boxes

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2011 5:27 PM

On 2011-08-08 16:26, Tiki Slob wrote:
...I got a picture of me (and a fantastic Mai Tai) with Nick and Tom but who is that Kat between them with the tounge? I totally missed that...

Hey I recognize you from that night !! Sorry I didn't formally meet you. :(

"That Kat" is Jonpaul Balak, who is the Photo Editor for Tiki Mag. Probably even more significant is the fact he plays bass for both Tikiyaki Orchestra and the Insect Surfers. He's a Tiki/Surf Revival Renaissance man to be sure. :)

Pages: 1 2 56 replies