Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Moki and Duke's Cali Cabana

Pages: 1 12 replies

After finishing my son's Indiana Jones Bedroom ( http://dizstyle.blogspot.com/2011/02/indiana-jones-bedroom.html ) I was super excited to get started on my daughters' tiki room. The 3 girls took over our master bedroom with vaulted ceilings which would be perfect for a Bamboo Ben inspired room. Unfortunately the girls decided on a Blue Bayou inspired bedroom).

Still in love with designing a tiki bedroom, Duke and I decided to transform our tiny room. We have a very limited budget, a lot of creativity and art skills, and lots of imagination. When I found four 6 ft. cardboard tubes, I knew I would be painting them to resemble large bamboo poles for the ceiling. I'll post more or the room transformation sometime after I get the laundry put away.

[ Edited by: moki and duke 2011-07-15 14:47 ]

Very clever use of materials.

the indiana jones bedroom is really well done! thank you for sharing! The paintjob on the wall is excellent enough, but your attention to detail with everything else really ties it all together. (like the headboard)

Please post pics of your tiki room and a link to the blue bayou room too. I'm intrigued! I bet those are just as awesome as the indiana jones room!

I would have loved to have a Indy room like that when I was a kid, very nice work!!!

....I would love to have an Indy room like that now as well :)

MH

The Indiana Jones bedroom is AWESOME!!! Man, I wish you were my parents and gave me such a fun bedroom. I'd NEVER leave it. Kudos! Job well done.

W

You paint well, I wouldn't have recognized the roles except for the seam in the close ups.

W

You paint well, I wouldn't have recognized the roles except for the seam in the close ups. The Indy room is really cool, would have loved that as a kid!

Thank you! There aren't a lot of local (affordable) resources for bamboo where I live and am staring to realize our tiki room will depend greatly on painting techniques. My plan was to get the room's walls done this week as a surprise to Duke who is out of town, but getting his things out of the room just so I can lay down a base coat has taken a lot of time. Oh well. More pictures soon!

The Indiana Jones room turned out great...you are very artistic...look forward to your Tiki room transformation.

Still working on the room. yikes! Why did I think I could do this in a weekend?! :wink: Installed a simple mod light fixture and then summer came along and we discovered how hot it is in the room during the day! Duke work's nights and is burning up in there, so we bought a cheap ceiling fan ($24), I gave everything a good brown layer of spray paint, and inspired by these shields outside Disneyland's Tiki room(http://www.flickr.com/photos/aloha75/2801141319/in/set-72157606550087043)

I painted each blade like so:

Another light layer of spray paint to tone down the brightness. Now I need to design something clever to replace the standard glass dome that came with the fan.

[ Edited by: moki and duke 2012-06-25 14:37 ]

[ Edited by: moki and duke 2012-06-25 14:38 ]

On 2012-06-25 14:35, moki and duke wrote:
Now I need to design something clever to replace the standard glass dome that came with the fan.

Nice job on the fan blades, moki. Is your dome for the light a globe by any chance? If so, I think your simplest option (for not having to find something suitable looking that will also fit the dome opening) would be to turn it into a pseudo glass float lamp by covering it with a net.

There are a few threads on the forum that deal with net tying, such as this one; http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26729&forum=18, which also has links to other threads.

Barring that, check out the threads in the "Other Crafts" folder from some of our resident lamp builders for a goldmine of lamp & shade designs.

Keep coming up with the great design ideas.

Bear

Thanks Bear! It isn't spherical, but I had an extra one in the garage and am tying a "net" for it right now! Thanks for the idea! I installed the fan today (hot afternoon in the attic putting in the support bar!) Will update with pictures soon,

Painted a Dr. Facilier Bird for our art wall. Would like to paint another Disney inspired bird, but dont know who.... any suggestions?

Pages: 1 12 replies