Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Caribbean bar

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

The Caribbean Bar 2011. Feel free to move this whatever forum you see fit.

say, that's a fabulous lookin' bar, and those are all fine lookin'
people, when are ya puttin' th' tikis in?

It's the Jello-Shots that got me. :roll: :roll:

T

Maybe should be in here? http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=20&8196

:) Oh sorry, I forgot you need tikis....

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2011-07-18 03:04 ]

TM

Looks like a nice place to go to when you listen to Jimmy Buffett.....but, he did put this in "beyond tiki" or did I miss something and it was already moved from where he originally posted it?

H

On 2011-07-18 06:53, lucas vigor wrote:
Looks like a nice place to go to when you listen to Jimmy Buffett.....but, he did put this in "beyond tiki" or did I miss something and it was already moved from where he originally posted it?

You're right. This thread was originally posted in Home Tiki Bars and was then moved to the more suitable Beyond Tiki.

On 2011-07-18 07:08, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2011-07-18 06:53, lucas vigor wrote:

You're right. This thread was originally posted in Home Tiki Bars and was then moved to the more suitable Beyond Tiki.

Why did I already know that! :) These Buffet people are like a vast horde at the gates! We are under siege, and must be ever-vigilant!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-07-18 11:00 ]

On 2011-07-17 22:26, komohana wrote:

say, that's a fabulous lookin' bar, and those are all fine lookin'
people, when are ya puttin' th' tikis in?

Fifth picture from the top,look toward the back, see the sign? Guess that makes it legit.

By the way my house and bar are located in Michigan. "Go Blue"

TM

Jamica Joe...this is the first text you see when entering our forum. Written by the people who invented this forum. Hope this helps.

"Tiki centralis a place to celebrate the classic Tiki Bars of the mid-century and the design aesthetic they established. This movement grew in popularity after World War II when America had a new fascination with the South Seas and Hawaii. Tiki Bars sought to bring an idealized tropical paradise into the concrete jungle of the Modern World. Very little of it was genuine -- born mostly out of the likes of Hollywood art directors and modern architects -- but it all seemed real to a then-naïve public’s eye. The Tiki style started in bars and restaurants but soon spilled over into all forms of popular culture, including music, food, dress, TV and movies, and other forms of architecture.

The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up.

What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

It’s not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
It’s not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
It’s not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
It’s not about Reggae
It’s not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
It’s not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it
It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions.

Further Reading
If you’d like to know more about the kind of Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on, and what we don't, we recommend the following:

The Book of Tiki (book) "

Nope, did not help.

Here is something that should give people like this Lucas guy pleasure.
The cabana before:

And after a wild ass storm blew though:

either I'm having a serious dejavu or I had too many jello shots. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39273&forum=6&hilite=Caribbean bar

img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/73620/4e249aaf.jpg[/img]

TM

On 2011-07-18 13:04, jamaica joe wrote:
Nope, did not help.

I actually did not think it would...but I figured I would take a shot anyway.

There is no helping the parrothead culture, really.

But why you would think anyone would like your carribean Jimmy Buffet bar on THIS forum, is something I'll leave you to figure out for yourself.

This is a 1950's era tiki forum. 99% of us could care less for your Jimmy Buffet bar. They have a parrothead forum, yes?

http://www.buffettworld.com/forum/

They would go for your backyard bar in a big way. Me? Not so much.

Lucas, have now had six personal messages telling me how much they like it.One thing i have no doubt is that YOU do not speak for everyone on this forum

[ Edited by: jamaica joe 2011-07-18 14:01 ]

And for the record my bar has nothing to do with Jimmy Buffet. Not really a fan of his music.

Looking through the pictures in this thread, you might recognize this guy and location:

That's the only picture that hasn't been deleted from this thread started by deleted user cribe:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39273&forum=6&hilite=cribe

bamalamalu, Do you have a point your trying to make?

Not a bad picture, wouldn't you agree?

I am and always will be cribe,a perfect user name considering the name of my bar is the Caribbean Bar. Problem is when i try to log in with that name a pop up tells that name is being used by another user(me) from earlier in the spring before i was deleted.So congrats you've ratted me out.Now i am forced to go by user name Jamaica Joe.

I thought my pics were in beyond tiki? hold on let me check.....yep thats the name of the forum. Now wouldn't you say my bar is beyond tiki? Then what the hell is the problem.When you see the name Caribbean Bar don't click on it,it will make you angry,move to the next post. Okay problem solved.

TM

On 2011-07-18 14:43, jamaica joe wrote:
I thought my pics were in beyond tiki? hold on let me check.....yep thats the name of the forum. Now wouldn't you say my bar is beyond tiki? Then what the hell is the problem.When you see the name Caribbean Bar don't click on it,it will make you angry,move to the next post. Okay problem solved.

Uh, no. You posted them in the tiki bar section.....and apparently this is the second time you have done that. (I did'nt suspect you were the banned "cribe" until it was just pointed out...I just thought you had bad taste) The moderator moved them here.

So, you got banned, made up a new user name, and are now back pushing your anti-tiki agenda. Save your personal messages. No, I am not an unhappy man at all, but thank you for asking. I just don't like Jimmy Buffett, or at least don't like people talking about it on this forum. No, scratch that...I guess I DO enjoy it...or at least I enjoy trading barbs with you Buffet-heads!

Look bud, I am sure you would in fact find a few people on this forum who love Buffet and wished we talked about it more. I saw your defenders in the previous thread, all upset because we were trying to educate you about what is Tiki (since you really, obviously, painfully...don't know!)

But since I don't want to waste more words on you then I need to, I thought the man who actually wrote the book of tiki's words were much better...here they are, in case you forgot:

"Nobody is forcing the "idea" of Tiki on anybody. There simply are things that ARE Tiki, and things that ain't. Things that are Tiki belong on a Tiki website, things that are not Tiki really don't. You are acting like someone that walks into a Chinese restaurant and calls the chef an a-hole because he is not serving Italian food ...and is not gonna. The mind boggles."

Now, please excuse me. I am off to the Harley Davidson Talk forum to discuss Japanese motorcycles with them.

After, I will go to the Aikido martial art forum and discuss with them how much I love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and western boxing.

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-07-18 15:47 ]

hahaha wow give it up for Lucas everybody.man you sure told me.Please, buddy do me a favor,post a picture of yourself in your next post i have this mental picture i just have to see if its correct.Its kind of like when your driving and someone does something really incredibly stupid in front of you and turn to your friend and say i have to pull up next to this guy to see what he looks like.So Lucas if you could brush the cheetos off your work space and send a pic with your next post.. well ..yeah..that would be great.

[ Edited by: jamaica joe 2011-07-18 16:09 ]

TM

On 2011-07-18 16:06, jamaica joe wrote:
hahaha wow give it up for Lucas everybody.man you sure told me.Please, buddy do me a favor,post a picture of yourself in your next post i have this mental picture i just have to see if its correct.Its kind of like when your driving and someone does something really incredibly stupid in front of you and turn to your friend and say i have to pull up next to this guy to see what he looks like.So Lucas if you could brush the cheetos off your work space and send a pic with your next post.. well ..yeah..that would be great.

I will gladly post a picture of myself AFTER you answer this one question:

When I go to the Harley Davidson talk forum and post pictures of my rice burning kawasaki ninja....what do you, CRIBE, think the reaction from a bunch of bikers who love american made hogs on that forum will be?

Think carefully, answer, and then I will post my picture.

Lucas if in the Harley Davidson site they had specific forum called beyond harley davidson most bikers would assume that because we are talking motorcycles, that forum is to talk about other makes of bikes and not have a problem with it. I expect your next post will include a picture.

J

Actually in person Lucas has two different vibes...

1. Hepcat Jazz musician (which he is)

2. LAPD Detective (when he's sporting his conservative work suits). Watch out, he's probably packin' :)

HERE WE GO.......

Attention mods, before i get booted ,i want it to be known i will not post on any other thread but my own,i have said nothing to anybody other then to the people who have come on here to attack,and that i am in a forum called beyond tiki pretty much minding my own business.

TM

On 2011-07-18 16:20, jamaica joe wrote:
Lucas if in the Harley Davidson site they had specific forum called beyond harley davidson most bikers would assume that because we are talking motorcycles, that forum is to talk about other makes of bikes and not have a problem with it. I expect your next post will include a picture.

Ah, but you didn't post originally in beyond tiki, did ye?

But back to your comparison with Beyond harley davisdon"....That's great, cribe. You really know your biker culture (as well as you know your tiki culture).

Yep, we all know how much bikers love pictures of japanese sport bikes, (and the guys like you who ride them)...

But, I am a man of my word. A picture was promised, and a picture ye shall have...

But I must warn you, I am hardly as handsome in that "Don Johnson/late 80's" way as you are, something of which I can tell you are very proud of.

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-07-18 16:36 ]

I assume Lucas is feverishly searching the internet for a proper picture he can post to pretend it is him.

Lucas you are a man of your word. And that i respect.

I thought jamaica joe was cribe as the bar pictures were the same as cribe's tacky bar
glad someone else pointed that out.

so cribe if you want to post family shots maybe you should get a snapfish account
or put em up on your facebook page.

If its Jello-Shot culture you like, try this site

http://www.spamsuckingwhitetrailertrashcentral.com

On 2011-07-18 12:19, jamaica joe wrote:

On 2011-07-17 22:26, komohana wrote:

... when are ya puttin' th' tikis in?

Fifth picture from the top,look toward the back, see the sign? Guess that makes it legit.

Hardly. Guess you missed this quote in your original thread from the man who wrote THE book on what Tiki Style is and isn't...

On 2011-03-06 03:23, bigbrotiki wrote:

... with every post, the thread was becoming more and more a parade example of what Tiki is NOT - including the alcoholic choices, and that buying a pre-fab sign that says "Tiki Bar" on it a Tiki Bar it does not maketh.

Now, on to more important matters.

While Lucas may be vigorous in his defense of Tiki's purity, at least he was addressing the content of what you had posted. I, for one, don't appreciate you reducing the thread to engaging in personal attacks on highly respected members of the TC Ohana.

On 2011-07-18 16:06, jamaica joe wrote:

Even your chosen user name is a somewhat "in-your-face" demonstration of your mindset. Odd choice for a Tiki forum. You're acting like someone spoiling for a fight, even to the point of attempting to instigate one with invective. I'll be voting to have this thread locked/deleted, and if you persist I might even call for you to be banned. My suggestion to you is to try and be a bit more aware of the forum you are visiting and do a little due diligence and actually learn what Tiki is really about before claiming that un-Tiki things are Tiki. That just invites those who care about Tiki's scope and public perception to try and "educate the unenlightened." They are exceedingly particular about it.

Have a nice day.

Bear

Its jackass's like Brudda Bear and chuck tatum who keep this shit going,who the hell asked you to involve yourself in this? as far as me and Lucas go i consider ourselves cool.But no you have to push it, you can't just let it die.Your attempt to sound like a bad ass amuses me. Grow the hell up junior!

page 4

Joe why are you looking for trouble, do you have something against the Tiki Crowd?

So do you want to learn about Tiki Culture or did you just post to mix it up?
and if so, who is the one that needs to grow up.

Post no more reply's and its done. Don't go on Caribbean Bar post and its done.There are hundreds of posts on here,visit them instead and its done.Ball is in your court.

TM

People like cribe don't get Tiki and never will. But if they would take the time to actually read the posts in this forum, they may actually, despite themselves, learn something. If this cribe spent time in a bar built by people here, people like bamboo ben, for example, they might finally understand the art behind what we do. I can't imagine any sane person could compare one of the masterworks our artists build compared to the decorations bought at party city or even wallmart that cribe is using. It's like comparing a cheap, tourist sword made of stainless steel in taiwan to a handmade katana that took months to build. The people on this forum have spent years lovingly collecting and building home tiki bars, sometimes even longer when money is tight. The true tiki bar is not something you cobble together over a drunk weekend with buffett music or reggae blasting and annoying the neighboors. Think, cribe, about the sheer volume of work involved in building a true tiki bar, and then compare what you have built with the ones you see here. There is a lot to see here, and none of it looks like a sports bar in key west. Try harder, learn to appreciate the art of tiki, and remember that tiki central is the epicenter and repository of the greatest tiki art seen since the 50's.

Thats fine you made your point Lucas,but why downgrade my bar to make it? Reread your post and ask yourself if the person was standing in front of me would i make that same comment? If not,don't post it. Cheap decorations from walmarts? I'll put the amount of labor it took to install all that brick paver,and the landscaping,and the pool installation,and the bar and grill table construction against any of the tiki bars on here. Lucas you think you know but you have no idea.

Wasting away again....... salt shaker something something....

Pages: 1 2 71 replies