Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Caribbean bar

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

Lucas can help you with the rest of the words

TM

Joe, why don't you try and find the book of tiki, or the second one, tiki modern. One quick read and you would know what I am talking about. It wouldn't take that much time to finish your bar and make it look rad. Tiki is all about mood and ambience. Dark, less lighting, less pre-fab stuff and less generic store-bought stuff. It not only should look good at night, but also in the light. Start with a good soundtrack like ANY martin denny or arthur lyman, or better yet, order the new tikiyaki orchestra CD, "aloha baby" to get yourself in the right mood. Would'nt hurt to try whipping up some rum based and authentic tiki drinks. Shitloads of recipes can be found right here in this forum. Try it for a whle and then decide if I am being a crazy purist or not. You are not from a place in the US where there a lot of examples of real tiki bars left, but go to the finding tiki section here and take a look at what is there. Lots of documentation of old and famous places to peruse. Once you catch the tiki bug, you will throw away your tequila and corona for good.

J

On 2011-07-18 21:27, lucas vigor wrote:
...you will throw away your tequila and corona for good.

Sorry Lucas, but Joe DO NOT throw away your tequila. There are several Tequila-based Tropical cocktails, one of which is my favorite at the Tiki Ti. The Jim's Special is a Mai Tai with tequila added. Yes I know it sounds gross but it's really quite good. Also Kelly at the Tonga Hut makes me one of her original drinks that uses tequila as a base. It's kick-ass and I could give up rum forever based on drinks like that.

If Tikiphiles aren't allowed to drink tequila then I don't want to be a Tikiphile. :D

Do ditch the Corona however, might I suggest the more Caribbean (but not Tiki) appropriate Red Stripe ??

Other than that... what Lucas said. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-19 07:51 ]

Jamaica Joe, here are some photos from some of the outdoor Tiki bars that members here have built, this does not mean they don't have anything Tiki on the interior but only that I am showing exterior photos. Hopefully these will give you a better idea of where we are coming from and maybe inspire you as well.

This is just a small sampling hastily put together in no particular order. Of course there is much much more to these locations and the photos hardly do them justice.

RINCON ROOM:

QUEEN KAMEHAMEHA'S

THE WAIKIKI WOMB

Just out of curiosity do you guys hate Bahama Breeze restaurant?
Here's a song for you "Mountain Top" by Gappy Ranks, google it, listen to it.

is this child endangerment???

J

On 2011-07-19 06:24, jamaica joe wrote:
Just out of curiosity do you guys hate Bahama Breeze restaurant?
Here's a song for you "Mountain Top" by Gappy Ranks, google it, listen to it.

Jamaica Joe, people here don't "hate" Caribbean culture and/or reggae, it's just that most feel its a SEPARATE thing from Tiki. Many Tikiphiles here are ex-first and second generation Punk rockers, and so you'll find reggae (which had a good Punk crossover) in their album/CD collections (mine included).

The reason why many here react so strongly to posts like yours, is that they feel you might be trying to usurp the definition of what true Tiki-style is, into something it's not. I don't think that was your intent but do be aware it's a pretty sensitive subject around here.

Topical interest in Caribbean culture (or style) does have some overlap with Jimmy Buffett and his music, and if anything is "hated" around here, it's the Parrothead Nation.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-19 07:50 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 19, 2011 9:08 AM

Congratulations, you gave Lucas something to do to keep him from getting bored yesterday. His first post was at 6:53am and the last was at 9:27pm. That's a nice FULL day of arguing. :)

really? this is still going on? please lock this thread, delete it, bury it, and salt the earth.

You can't reason with a Parrothead. :P :P

On 2011-07-19 10:11, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
really? this is still going on? please lock this thread, delete it, bury it, and salt the earth.

Funny how you keep coming back on here. Must something about the caribbean keeps drawing you back in.("Every time i think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in")

On 2011-07-19 10:18, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
You can't reason with a Parrothead. :P :P

Hey chuck the ___ What is your major malfunction,every post you make has something shitty in it.Please pipe down the adults are trying to have a conversation.

On 2011-07-19 11:17, jamaica joe wrote:

On 2011-07-19 10:11, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:

Funny how you keep coming back on here. Must something about the caribbean keeps drawing you back in.("Every time i think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in")

what can I say, I love a trainwreck.
I also love the caribbean, some of the best trips I've ever made. doesnt mean I want to decorate my space like some cheap frat boy version of it.
what I don't like is you.
go away, you're stinking up the place with your jersey shore hair gel & drakkar noir vibe.
I know you won't, until forced. you clearly like any attention you can get.
I can wait & believe me, it's coming.

What can i say? That's the way we do it in Motown.
Detroit- where the weak are killed and eaten!

On 2011-07-19 12:12, jamaica joe wrote:
What can i say? That's the way we do it in Motown.
Detroit- where the weak are killed and eaten!

That explains how you got "Mad Cow" disease

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 19, 2011 12:43 PM

What's wrong with you people? Shouldn't you be more tolerant? Sure he's got a Carribean bar (not that there's anything wrong with that), but GROG thought there was unspoken rule of "Don't ask, don't tell" when it come to people with Carribean bars. Ya'll should welcome Jamaica Joe and his "fellas". GROG planning on visiting the bar on "leather night" next time GROG in Michigan. :D

On 2011-07-19 12:43, GROG wrote:
What's wrong with you people? Shouldn't you be more tolerant? Sure he's got a Carribean bar (not that there's anything wrong with that), but GROG thought there was unspoken rule of "Don't ask, don't tell" when it come to people with Carribean bars. Ya'll should welcome Jamaica Joe and his "fellas". GROG planning on visiting the bar on "leather night" next time GROG in Michigan. :D

Thats the spirit Grog,see he has no proplem posting a picture of himself and his life partner at the Caribbean Bar. Everybody should photoshop a picture of their self at the Caribbean Bar also like Grog has.

[ doesnt mean I want to decorate my space like some cheap frat boy version of it.
what I don't like is you.
go away, you're stinking up the place with your jersey shore hair gel & drakkar noir vibe.

Drakkar noir!

Nailed it!

Winning!

Lucas -winning- is copy written by me and your not allowed to use it

TM

On 2011-07-19 13:06, jamaica joe wrote:
Lucas -winning- is copy written by me and your not allowed to use it

Try telling that to my goddesses!

H

Bilged.

And Locked.

Pages: 1 2 71 replies