Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help me identify this CoCo Joe piece

Pages: 1 2 replies

So, I'm completely new to this. I am taking a class on American Decorative Arts and I have to do a presentation on some collectable.

I've had this little figurine since high school. I found it at a thrift store.

Inscribed on the back of this little guy is '77 (which I'm assuming is the year it was manufactured), a Coco Joes emblem, and the number 285. He's a happy little guy sitting much like the Buddha, but I'm assuming he's a Hawaiian god of sorts. Does anyone have ANY info regarding this guy? I would add a picture, but I'm in class right now. Not an appropriate time to snap a pic. I can later if needed.

Info I'm looking for is company info (I found a link with some info on Coco Joes already, but any added directions on where to find more is welcomed), current worth, raw material of the figurine, etc. Really anything would be helpful or a name of a book that might help me. Also, does anyone know who this is supposed to represent?

Thanks a ton for your time, guys.

He's a menehuene

Are you sure it's not stock # 258? If it's 258, then it's: Lak'e The Happy Menehune. The catalog description says," Rub his opu (tummy) for good luck." The old ones have no base, and the newer ones have him sitting on a base that says Hawaii on it. Your 77 piece should have the base.

Here's a photo of a newer #258 with tag

A bunch of cocojoes info here:
Coco Joe's thread

Buzzy Out!

Pages: 1 2 replies