Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Surf Guitar Lessons with Jason Lee @ Tiki Oasis 11

Pages: 1 39 replies

Hey Everyone !

I am so pleased to be doing this Event and Spreading the Love of Surf Guitar.

I wanted to create a Topic that people can ask questions about the Event and Most Importantly, provide input on anything you guys and gals would like to see or learn during the symposium.

Remember. I'm gonna have about 10 or more amps set up as well as a mixer in case we get more guitarists showing up so we'll be covered.

BRING YOUR GUITAR. I Will have a decent amount there but I would like you to learn on yours. Comfort if the key here. I can even give you tips on the setup of your guitar etc.

Post or Pass the Flyer if you'd like. I'd like to get a good amount of people there.
I promise if we have a big turn out i can help you one on one throughout the Weekend. Even i have to show you in our room at the Plaza.

Remember, you can Catch Jason Lee & the Riptides two times throughout Oasis as well.
We will be Playing Poolside on Friday Afternoon and with Thee Swank Bastards Sat Night at their Room party about 11pm.

Thanks so much Everyone !

Jason Lee

[ Edited by: JasonLeeSurf 2011-07-22 00:07 ]

M

ooo I wish I played the guitar. I'll for certain catch you during the shows. Have you been scooped up to play any room parties?

We are playing Sat Night with Thee Swank Bastards at thier Room Party. Around 11pm

Remember... We play Poolside on Friday as well.
That's the show to see

M

awesome thanks for the info!

I know some more tickets have been sold.

Please post anything you wanna see or learn at the Symposium.

Thanks

Jason Lee

Jason,
can you give me a Surf Bass Lesson?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

I am signing up !! I play stoner rock, and some Punk. I am a guitar player, but not a musician by any means. I wanna learn some surf. Headed to the Tiki Oasis website right now. BTD I say go go go.

Sweet I committed . Who else is in?

What? you should be committed?
If I was better at guitar, I would do it.
but I know my limitations with the bass,
and there I will stay.
I may sit in and watch/listen if Jason will allow me.

Jeff(btd)

Spermy !

Thanks for Signing up !
Please if their is anything particular style wise you want to learn post it here. IE: Strumming, chords, effects etc let me know.

I want to narrow down what everyone wants to learn.

Jeff,
I think were gonna have you sit in the chair next to me and play the bass (but we wont plug you in) : )

BTW Everyone !

I'm giving Freebies away,on me, at the Symposium.
So you will more than make up for the $10 too : )

Please pass this Flyer on for me too !
Our Set is REALLY cool with some surprises in store.

Jason,
I don't wanna sound like a total retard but I am interested in the basics for now. I am a little rusty as of late. I haven't played in a while since my last band broke up. I also just moved to a new home so like I said I am a little rusty. I haven't attempted to play Surf , ever. Do I need to bring any effects? I have a Holy Grail, wah, and a bitchen fuzz factory peddle I have never used, yet. Ha Ha I am hoping this will put a little spark up my ass and wanna play, more. I promise I will be a good student. Thanks for doing this.

If I think of anything I want to learn I'll let you know. I am a big fan of Noise and Fuzz, but I also like all the traditional stuff, too.

I think I am just going to bring my Mustang, cause it is small and easy to carry around.

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2011-08-09 17:22 ]

Spermies,

Bring your grail equipped with a battery and an extra cable.
your mustang is perfect. Make sure you have the bar for it too.

It sounds like your at a good basic level.
I'm gonna teach three single riffs at the event.

I think one simple, and two intermediate.

I'm also going to cover how to get classic sounds with modern pedals so you dont have to spend all the dough on Vintage.
Also, settings on amps and all that jazz

Also, Sperms, In honor of you i might do a 60's Fuzz Riff
with some of my Fuzz pedals so bring that fuzz too.

H
harro posted on Tue, Aug 9, 2011 7:51 PM

I'd love to be part of this but as i'm coming all the way from Australia i won't have a guitar with me. I've played for many years but haven't touched a guitar since my last band broke up a couple of years ago. Guess I can look on and learn some tips anyway - is it included in the VIP deluxe pass?

Harro,

I will have extra guitars and amps there, so you can plug in and play.
Dont worry if you havent played in a while. I will have something simple
but fun in the beggining.

I am sooo bummed I won't be there for this!!!! But this year Hawaii calls....

Jason will you be doing a video so those that can't make it can dig it?

Beach Bummy,

Sorry, We will not be filming this one.
It's a private event.

My Wife and I were there recently so i dont blame ya-

Have fun !

JL

E

Signed up for the symposium and looking forward to it!! Will there be a jam session poolside with all class participants...would be awesome Just saying. :)

Any chance to learn Misirluo - rhythm and/or lead?

[ Edited by: ESP182 2011-08-10 11:10 ]

Great ESP !

I think I might do something a little simpler than the Misirluo lead but the rhythm might be a good idea.

Whoa! I just put 2&2 together, your the dude who does all the you-tube vids! I love your lessons, easy to follow and super cool. I was away from the guitar for a lot of years, got a new Fender Deluxe Strat and have been watching your lessons online. I am so in! See ya there.
~Brad

Sounds Great Brad !

Remember to get tickets on the TO Website to insure
you get in.

It's Limited Numbers

Bring your guitar and lets rock !

Any particular playing styles that you wanted to learn?

I'm trying to put together a comprehensive mix in only one hour.

MT

On 2011-08-07 10:11, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Sweet I committed . Who else is in?

I'm in. Looks like I'll be lugging my Strat down to San Diego! I'll head on over after I make sure that the Car Show is running smoothly.

I have the Deluxe VIP ticket, does that mean that I'm covered for this gig? Let me know. See ya in San Diego!

Oh yeah, already got my ticket! Jason, i was hoping to play your Reverend Horton Heat model Gretsch and then steal it when you aren't looking haha! I dig all your you tube lessons, but like the rockabilly ones the best.
Bill, get someone to cover the car show for one hour and lets go!

MT

On 2011-08-10 15:44, marion-n-brad wrote:
Jason, i was hoping to play your Reverend Horton Heat model Gretsch and then steal it when you aren't looking haha!

I have a similar guitar, the Brian Setzer Gretsch, but I don't think I'm gonna bring it down to San Diego. Especially now! :wink:

Bill, get someone to cover the car show for one hour and lets go!

That's what John Fulton and Rob Bennett are for! lol Let's DO IT!!!

Stoked !!

Looks like we have a cool Event goin' Here

I’m in too and stoked! I signed myself and a buddy up for this last week. I have never been in a band or anything but just dink around with the guitar and am a surf rock enthusiast.

My only concern is showing up to this with a hangover and really stinking up the place with my already limited skills. I guess you pays your money you takes your chances.

As far as the content…
I’ll appreciate you spending time going over the gear. My equipment is pretty budget-rate but suited for my skill set. Any advice on strings, pedals, effects and so on would also be very cool.
I think the beginner to intermediate plan previously mentioned will work for me.

Thanks for putting this on for such an affordable price. What a deal!!

Can’t wait to see everyone there,
SK

[ Edited by: Sofa King 2011-08-14 13:44 ]

Sofa,

I truly appreciate you letting me know what you would like to see.
I am going to cover a lot of getting a vintage tone but with a modern budget and modern equip.

In general the majority is going to be a beginner to intermediate level. I dont want to go over too many heads on the lessons
cause it can be uncomfortable for some.

This way we can hopefully pull off a jam-along or have some people come up to demonstrate with me.

I am really going to touch on the breakdown of a surf lead.
IE: Playing a lead over rhythm guitar

Catch Us That Saturday Night !

I'm gonna have some cool gear for this show-
IE Weird pedals and what not.

Please Pass it on Everyone if you can- Thanks

Hey Guys & Gals

Workin on all my vintage amps for the last few days so hopefully some of you can play through them at the Event-

Jason Lee

Jason,I dont see tickets for sale on the TO site...says pay at the door.Is there room left for me at the lesson?do I need to reserve a spot?

Wish I was going to be at Oasis! Would love to participate in this! Been watching and learning via your youtube vids for some time!

So What an Event we had !

We Sold out at Over Capacity of how many people we thought would show up. Thank you Everybody !

It was so Cool to just celebrate the guitar together and Jam in one room at the same time.

I was blown away when we had everybody playing in unison on the lessons.

Feel free to post anything on the Event Here !

Thanks so much !

Jason Lee

Some more Photos my wife Grabbed-

The Next Day Reviewing some of the tips with some Attendees from the Event

Hello, Jason

I think that it would be great if you make your own YouTube channel with surf/rockabilly guitar lessons!

O
Otto posted on Sun, Sep 11, 2011 10:06 PM

Jason, I just gotta say, you got the stylin fashion sense to match the groovy guitar licks. Cabana suit w shorts with black socks on a sunny day in the courtyard by the pool!!

twang zombie !

I was thinkin of tryin that out a few years ago

Otto- Thanks !

Pages: 1 39 replies