Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Help Needed!!

Pages: 1 10 replies

N

I have a gentleman who would like to have a few bar-stool TIKI's. My question is will a piece of palm hold up after being sat on repeatedly? And how bad is it to seal a log completely before it is all the way dry? Will this cause the log to eventually rot and collapse?

Nixxon

P

I think that would all depend on how thick ot thin of a palm you're talking here...

M

Don't use Palm!

Pine or other local woods would suit the stool aspect far more durably, even in our climate. palm would rot more rapidly from extended use and exposure to the elements.

Mc

N

Yea you're probably right. I have a few pretty tick logs so ill be using those for sure. All of the wood I have sealed so far that isn't completely dry has held up fine. I will just give it a go and see what happens :)

I think Buzzy has made several stools out of palm, check with him

Why was Buzzy eating palm?

Bear

I wouldn't suggest making stools out of FL Palm - no matter how much fiber is in them (LMAO BB).

N

LOL BB. Ok thanks for all the insight gentlemen. Very much appreciated.

:lol:

hey Nixxon!

As Maddog said, I've knocked out a few seats carved out of palm. When you're making furniture, it's a step up on the carving toughness scale. It's not like a regular tiki that's just going sit outside and rot. The carving will be touched, used, moved, and most importantly, enjoyed in a tactile way. You'll have to finsh the edges and such better because you don;t want people to get splintered. They also can't be too high and wobbly.

As for the log itself, I would only use the most firm and hard wood available. you don't a big gash to appear on the top of the seat later on down the line. You also have to consider where thay will sit. A wet log will stain the spot it sits on, so you don't want musty logs ruining nice interior hardwood floors. The acid and mildew will ruin whatever it sits on

as for wetness: you have to use what you got, or wait. I've never used a log fresher than a year and a half for any seats I made. I've never rushed out a wet piece of wood either. If you ask top dollar for your stuff, you should deliver top dollar stuff. If it's just a cheap stump to sit on, it doesn't really matter and you should just hack it out and move on.

If they're real wet and you have concerns about the ends splitting, just cheat and make a stool top out of some round wood, foam padding, and some old hawaian shirts for seat the cover material. Tack it on the top of the log and Viola! Attractive padded seat that will cover ant cracks that ever appear.

Other than that, just go for it and see what happens.
Buzzy Out!

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Aug 6, 2011 7:38 AM

Awesome. Thank you so much for the in-depth reply Buzzy. Very Helpful!!

Pages: 1 10 replies