Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is this tiki??

Pages: 1 28 replies

I would say Mexican/Aztec style

On 1964-06-22, United States Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart wrote:

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["Tiki"]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the [item] involved in this case is not that.

In other words, while it is an interesting carved table, not Tiki.

Bear

thanks bear. i have come to that conclusion too. i can't find ANY information on it though.

what am I? chopped liver.

I knew you would find this!! no, you were great too : ) SERIOUSLY, I can't find any information on it. It definitely wasn't mass produced!!

OK then I will dry my eyes & get back to work :)

K

OK..that's really an interesting piece....:)
The figures on top look sort of Aztec, but the figures on the legs look almost Thai or SouthEast Asian with the ears. What they heck IS that?!
Well, it's cool & frankly, I wouldn't hesitate to mix it into my tiki lounge.

I got this response from antique-shop forum. tell me what you think...

Galaxy found this drop him a line if anyone would know it would be him!!!
My name is Burke Hovde (aka…The Witco Kid on http://www.tikicentral.com). I’m the son of Ron Hovde, one of the Witco Co-Founders and Artists with Bill Westenhaver. Witco started out as Western International Trading Company and imported South Pacific home furnishing items like Capishell Lamps. They also were into carvings that eventually evolved into the rough cedar chain saw carved furniture and Tikis that most people know Witco for. The artwork and production plant was in Mt. Vernon, Washington and they eventually sold $15 million worth of Witco products throughout the world over a 10 year run in the 1970′s. Through my Ebay Storefront at “intertrader2005″ you can purchase a book on “Fun and Profitable Chainsaw Carving” that Ron Hovde and Bill Westenhaver published under their company Westho (i.e. Westenhaver/Hovde) after Witco shut down. If I can answer any other questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Not Witco, in my limited opinion.

I don't think it's witco, either. but perhaps south pacific import from the 1920s?? i dunno!

On 2011-08-03 13:39, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
I would say Mexican/Aztec style

Sticking with this view, I will be.....

this is possible, because mexican folk art took off in the 1920s, and it was found next to a 1920s savonarola chair. BUT i can't find anything on mexican folk art anywhere. Burke Hovthe did get back to me and said it may be an original import (!!) from the western import trading company that later inspired witco carvings. i just can't find anything else like it, and it's obviously driving me nuts!!! thanks for your imput.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.