Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Downey Has a Tiki Float in the 2112 Rose Parade I have pics

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

T

Here's some close up from a different angle that my brother David took:

M

Beyond self-promotion, what was Downey's reasoning for having a tiki float this year, or any float for that matter? Have they been doing it for years, and what themes did they previously incorporate? I napped thru the whole parade, and seems I missed nothing if hoping for a good look at it enroute.

Downey Provides!!!

Any TIKI is better than No TIKI !!!\

Rock on Vato's!!!

M

Downey Provides!!!
I guess it still does. Back in my wonder years, Downey was 2nd only to Beverly Hills for highest income per capita, and had most of the best shops/eateries and noteable people. But my little ol' Maywood had Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, and nothing tops Big Daddy. Tiki culture of the '50s got rolled over by Kustom Kulture of infinity. Now THAT would make for an unforgettable float for '12... HELLOOOO DOWNEY!

Here are my pics of the float.

On 2012-01-02 12:16, Koitiki wrote:
Darn it all! I DVR'd the parade on NBC just to see that float and they gave it no coverage. It drifted by behind the anchors talking their way to a commercial break and then they never showed it again. Not finding anything on Youtube yet. Please post a link if anyone finds one.

Koitiki - here are the KTLA videos for the Parade:

http://www.ktla.com/entertainment/roseparade/

The Downey float is in Part 5

T

Sabu,

Thanks for the link. Nice view of the float 2;47 into part 5.

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2012 5:45 PM

Too bad they can't freeze dry that float, haul it to Mojave Oasis in April, and make a real bar out of it !! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-01-03 18:20 ]

Ab-soo-loot-ly bee-eh-ute-tee-full! I would love to see closer shots of what appears to be the waterfall and stream.

N

Did you see the suit Charles wore on the float?!
He's so good at that...

Yessss, the suit man himself! He looks like straight out of Sponge Bob!

In the 2015 Rose Parade, Dole showed the Tiki love.

O
Otto posted on Sat, Jan 3, 2015 9:02 PM

2015 Rose Parade Dole/City of Torrance float was Hawaii themed and had two huge Tikis

T

One of the BEST in the parade. If you can't go in person LA Channel 5 always has the best streaming complete coverage start to finish with little 5 sec. commercial breaks!

The Dole Rose Parade float for 2017

MomsLA: Dole's 2017 Rose Parade float to honor Hawaii

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2017-01-01 18:17 ]

RD

Rose Parade 2017 Float Winners :
SWEEPSTAKES TROPHY (for most beautiful entry in the parade) – Dole Packaged Foods, “Spirit of Hawaii.”

Rose Parade awards & trophies

H

I noticed another float that had a few tikis in it also, the float had something to do with organ doners??

RD

Here are a couple of amature videos that show the two floats.

Dole Float "Spirit of Hawaii" (Sweepstakes Trophy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEVuaAB8OE

Donate Life Float "Teammates in Life" (Theme Trophy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPD15GFWxU

Pages: 1 2 67 replies