Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Project X (Melbourne, Australia)

Pages: 1 11 replies

OK amigos.

After a couple of false starts and some pretty decent earlier efforts, I have begun work on what I call "Project X". I plan to work pretty full steam on this over the next couple of months to have it ready to go when our warm weather starts creeping in.

After a recent total spring clean and a couple of bug bombs, I now have a large wooden shed with tin/perspex roof to transform into my home bar.

I will need to give consideration to our hot summers and cold winters, so any advice on insulating etc would be much appreciated.

At this point, I am thinking of lining the walls with MDF and insulating behind?

Also considering topping off with a thatched roof and outer bamboo matting along these lines if all goes well and $ permit:

I need to do a good deal of this on the cheap as funds are limited.

Will post some more pics of things already gathered soon. (bar etc).

Early work on the yard area:

Blank slate:

Looks like you have some good bones to start with and a great example as a goal. Best of luck on the job.

K

eh hombre, is nice shed...si.

for my two pesos, i'd say no to the mdf, as it is a bit of a bugger for absorbing moisture,
maybe go with ply or some such with insulation in the wall cavity.

prob'ly if you put enough thatch on top of the roof and thatch/reed/brush etc. on the under side,
you might not need more insulation there, keeping in mind that iron roofs can attract condensation...
especially so far south of the border, no?

anyways, i thin' your shed is molto grande senor, with mucho potential.

hasta la vista, *roberto.

*edit

[ Edited by: komohana 2011-08-10 17:28 ]

S

'komohana' makes a good point regarding the mdf. Also, if you are renting, that is another issue to be considered. You might want to pre-fab it so it's easy to pull apart and possibly re-assemble at a new premises.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Aug 25, 2011 5:35 AM

I agree re. the MDF. Great blank canvas though, keep the pics coming.

K

tikisafari wrote: OK amigos.

Those TCers that have yet to visit our fair shores may not
be aware of our extreme fondness of making fun of ourselves
and each other, known colloquially as 'taking the piss'.

They also may not know that people from the state of Victoria
are often affectionately called 'mexicans', particularly,
but not exclusively, by the people from New South Wales and
Queensland because of Victorias' geographic location, way down
south.

No offense to actual Mexicans intended or implied.

B
Bonj posted on Fri, Aug 26, 2011 12:58 AM

Dear friend from South of the border,

I agree with our resident Sandgroper's assessment of MDF, having seen it in a very soggy state earlier this year for reasons some of you may be aware... plywood proved much more resilient.

Yours,

Banana Bender.

Hey guys.

Thanks for all the great advice.

For the time being, I decided to forgo lining the walls all together and begin construction using java reed fencing. Got the first wall up today and capped off with bamboo poles either side. Eventually will put 1/2 length dark bamboo panels all along the lower walls and will be getting started on a reed ceiling next week. Baby steps. Here's a pic.

[ Edited by: tikisafari 2011-08-26 02:31 ]

N

Looking good!

Is that a DIY bar or is that a bought bar?

Would you mind showing a picture of the foot rest on it either way?

Thanks, mate. I bought the bar. Happy to fire off some snaps of the footrest when I have my camera out next.

Thought I would throw up a daytime snap.

nice!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 18, 2011 1:29 AM

Coming along nicely.

Pages: 1 11 replies