Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bitters

Pages: 1 23 replies

A

OK, I'm just going to throw myself out there and admit it: I'm confused about bitters. Intrigued by all the choices that are available nowadays, but confused nonetheless.

I may be wrong, but I was basically going along the assumption that aromatic bitters such as Angostura and Peychaud's were best for aged spirits, such as bourbon and rum; and that citrus bitters were best for spirits such as gin and vodka. That's probably an oversimplification, but it was what I generally was going by.

Therefore, I have no idea what cocktails to include rhubarb bitters or black walnut bitters or plum bitters, etc etc etc. Should bitters be used to enhance a flavor already in a cocktail (cherry bitters in a Singapore Sling, for example), or should they be used to provide an all new flavor element?

I've read several articles about bitters, and see cocktail recipes with various different kinds of bitters. But I've yet to see any real direction or explanation of why to use one particular bitters over another, or how to incorporate various flavored bitters.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2011-08-11 08:09 ]

You're heading down a slippery slope of cocktail nerdom. One that is so esoteric and complex, I reckon you may never come back. :D I know it confuses the hell out of me.

Your "simplification" of bitters usage is where I like to keep things: simple. It pleases 99% of the people. However, all of these other fancy bitters can be used somewhat interchangeably. They add a little bit of a kick or boost to a cocktail or base spirit. Think of it as having 20 different Old Fashioneds (black walnut old fashioned sounds good) and go from there.

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2011-08-10 15:09 ]

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2011-08-10 15:09 ]

G

On 2011-08-10 13:27, arriano wrote:
OK, I'm just going to throw myself out there and admit it: I'm confused about bitters. Intrigued by all the choices that are available nowadays, but confused nonetheless.

The fact that we're even having such a conversation about all these bitters choices out there is a truly awesome thing. Celery bitters were extinct for about, what, 100 years? And now they're available again (thanks to the Bitter Truth). That's great! But, yeah, I hear you. It IS confusing. I have a growing collection of bitters bottles. Several get regular use while quite a few sit there going "Pick me! Pick me!". Like the nerdy kid on PE kickball day, they get overlooked.

But what I think you're looking for is rules, or... less strictly, guidelines. I think you're already heading in the right direction with your assumptions. But honestly, my philosophy is: try it and if you like it, it's the right one to use. Simple as that. An Old Fashioned may traditionally only have Angostura bitters, but the best Old Fashioned I've ever had (and now repeated on quite a few occasions) uses three types of bitters. Use bitters like you would a spice in food. A dash of this, a dash of that... Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But it's great that we now have so many tools in our tool chest from which to choose!

On 2011-08-10 15:07, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
You're heading down a slippery slope of cocktail nerdom. One that is so esoteric and complex, I reckon you may never come back.

you mean like delving into a category of drinks where people not only obsess about whether that grapefruit comprising 4% of the drink should be white, pink, or red, but also obsess about the kind of mug the drink should be served in?

:)

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-10 21:44 ]

I use Angostura, Peychaud's, and orange bitters where (frequently) called for in classic cocktails.

I use a drop or two of lemon bitters where i have no fresh lemon for a drink calling for a lemon twist over the surface (like the Sazerac). I similarly use mint bitters sometimes where I have no fresh mint.

I have peach bitters that I really havent figured out a good use for.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-10 21:49 ]

A

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad I'm not alone. Trial and error, here I come!

S

I'm with you. I can now get 4 packs of various bitters at the store and I am hardly sure what to do with the orange bitters. Oh, and now there are 4 or 5 orange bitters out there!

I think I will get some soda and add dashes and taste. Get a feel for these tastes and decide how they'll be used...

you mean like delving into a category of drinks where people not only obsess about whether that grapefruit comprising 4% of the drink should be white, pink, or red, but also obsess about the kind of mug the drink should be served in?

Precisely! :D My brain, budget, and pantry can only do so much........but I love it!

I do what Swanky does but also try with different alcohol bases as a control. I have used Appleton v/x, Bulleit Rye, and Bombay Sapphire gin to experiment with different combinations. Works pretty good until the fourth or fifth combo. Hiccup!

On 2011-08-10 21:46, thePorpoise wrote:
I have peach bitters that I really havent figured out a good use for.

Try in a margarita w/o cointreau. Maybe in a Fish House Punch type cocktail. Perhaps in a genever old fashioned. I don't have peach so I can't say for certain.

orange bitters are called for in the Martinez and all those early era martini recipes.

I made a great drink once with Brizzard Apry and peach bitters but damned if i can remember what else was in it.

not a "tiki drink" but i serve my wife (CeCe) and my brothers (tikivato) wife Rosemary an excellent (imho) cosmopolitan now and then.served up in a niece martini glass, a cosmo adds a little special something when my brother and I are losing during our friday night rummy games. Arriano, I add 2 or 3 dashes of Fee's cranberry bitters to each drink-wow! Total wine in Brea has a fair selection of bitters including pumpkin??

D

Has anyone experimented with the new Falernum Bitters?

R

On 2011-09-16 05:51, djmont wrote:
Has anyone experimented with the new Falernum Bitters?

It's a bitters that tastes vaguely like falernum. Not so good in tiki drinks as a sub for Angostura, but it can spice up a tiki drink that doesn't contain bitters at all. Also good for use in non-tiki drinks to give them a hint of tiki flavor. They are a bit mellow, I tend to use an extra dash over whatever a recipe calls for (and add at least 2 dashes if adding to a drink that does not call for bitters).

Interesting subs for Angostura in tiki drinks include Bitter Truth Gerry Thomas, Fee's Oak Barrel, and Bitterman's Boston Bittahs. I've had less success with Bitterman's Tiki as like the falernum bitters it's too similar to all the other flavors already in the cocktail (although again it is good in a drink not calling for bitters or to tiki-ize a non-tiki drink). I haven't tried using Boker's Bitters in tiki yet but that would probably work well too. Fruit bitters IMO work less well in tiki as most tiki drinks already have a lot of fruit flavor going on in them, although I have a blueberry bitters that could be interesting to try.

Playing with bitters can be lots of fun, I think I'm up over 20 different bitters bottles at this point.

I use bitters quite often in my cocktail books. Sometimes they're the missing link, and other times they're the final ingredient that breaks an otherwise great drink. The key is to mix ingredients in small quantities, taste and proceed. One method I use to choose bitters (and other ingredients) is to put a small amount of an ingredient on my palm/thumb, sip a drink and taste the bitters. You can usually tell if it's the right or wrong choice before adding a dash (or more) and completely wrecking a cocktail.

Bitters (and other herbals) I prefer and use in my cocktails are Peychaud's, Regan's Orange Bitters No. 6, Angostura (original recipe), Fee Brothers (original recipe), Fee Brothers (plum), Fernet Branca, Jagermeister, Campari, Underberg, Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur, Becherovka Carlsbad Liqueur, Antica Vermouth, Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard, Balsamic of Modena... to name a few!

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-09-24 03:46 ]

I am interested in getting a bottle of these. From Gaz Regan's newsletter:

A King, a Chemist, and an Old Style Bitters New Product Crafted from Natures Most Complex Berry

New York City, July 9, 2012: Dale DeGroff (aka King Cocktail) and chemist Ted Breaux (founder of Jade Liqueurs and Lucid Absinthe) announced they will release their new handcrafted allspice cocktail bitters next month.

Dale DeGroff's Pimento Aromatic Bitters (trademark) is a revival of a style of bitters that had all but disappeared by the latter 20th century. It was created by blending Pimento berry – a delightfully complex and layered spice – with a hint of anise and other herbs. The result is a versatile bitters that provides a delicious compliment to many classic and modern cocktails.

Dale DeGroff's Pimento Aromatic Bitters(trademark) is produced in the historic Combier distillery (Saumur, France) by infusing and distilling a blend of select botanicals. Allspice berries provide the foundation of the flavor profile, which is layered with tropical and Mediterranean spices. The natural occurring essential oils of pimento are believed to aid digestion in traditional medicine. It is carefully crafted to enhance the flavor of cocktails without overpowering them.

"If I were trapped on a desert island and had one ingredient to mix with spirits, this would be it!" says DeGroff: "Locked in the heart of this single berry is the essence of cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg- it is a brilliant base for a cocktail bitters."

Completely artisanal in construction, DeGroff's Pimento Aromatic Bitters(trademark) is crafted entirely from whole botanicals, without commercial flavorings or artificial dyes. Use it to spice a wide range of classic and modern favorites like the Pina Colada, Painkiller, Mai Tai, the Sazerac and other whiskey cocktails, also Champagne cocktails. DeGroff also recommends adding a dash to accent straight spirits like grappa, gin, and whiskey.

We invite you to pre-order your Special Collector's Edition 250 ml Professional Bottle now. It comes in a handsome antique bottle with hand waxed top, packaged with a dripper spout. Hand signed in indelible gold ink by Dale DeGroff, can be refilled and reused. Only 3000 units available.(Price: $18.82) The 150 ml standard bottle ($9.99) will be available in September.

Order now at: http://www.PimentoAromaticBitters.com

Makes me wonder if these bitters could sub for pimento dram/syrup in say, An Ancient Mariner/Navy Grog, etc? Would love to hear about any experiments

D

On 2012-07-18 08:07, Kill Devil wrote:
Makes me wonder if these bitters could sub for pimento dram/syrup in say, An Ancient Mariner/Navy Grog, etc? Would love to hear about any experiments

The Navy Grog i think it is too strong of a component to just use a few drops, however what about replacing them in something the normally would use another type of bitter - like an old fashion or a manhatten - perhaps a play with bourbon?

A

So I posed my original question that started this thread to Robert Hess, and he was kind enough to respond:

http://smallscreennetwork.com/video/831/cocktail-spirit-captains-blood-cocktail

On 2013-08-01 18:23, arriano wrote:
So I posed my original question that started this thread to Robert Hess, and he was kind enough to respond:

http://smallscreennetwork.com/video/831/cocktail-spirit-captains-blood-cocktail

The Captain's Blood is probably my favorite Daiquiri variation and one I only know about from Robert Hess. I have tried at least a dozen different aged rums in this cocktail, some work much better than others, but hands down the best combo so far is with Matusalem Gran Reserva 15. Even the Matusalem 18 was not quite as good.

I have also tried swapping for a couple different bitters in this one but always go back to Ango. It's funny, I have finally built up a respectable bitters collection of a dozen or so different types and it's great to mix things up a bit, but I have yet to find anything with nearly the versatility of good 'ol Ango.

S

I came home one night a little while ago after i had been in the city drinking and the only real cocktail i had ingredients for was a rum old-fashioned. I can't remember what rum i used but I didn't have any simple syrup made so i used maple syrup instead and also tried the Creole Bitters from The Bitter Truth Traveler's Set i picked up when i was in the U.S. last year. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. It had a very strong liquorice/aniseed flavour which i love and although i don't think i've made one since i know it's a combination i'll be having again.

And if you've never tried one of these i highly recommend you do. It's actually surprisingly good.

Trinidad Sour

1 ounce Angostura bitters
1 ounce orgeat
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/2 ounce Rittenhouse 100-proof rye (can sub Wild Turkey 101)

Combine in a cocktail shaker and shake well with ice. Strain into chilled coupe, and stand back.

I LOVE that drink. Mixed it up almost as a dare when I ran across the recipe a few years ago and I was blown away. And addicted. And unfortunately that happened at the height of the Great Angostura Shortage so I did not mix up nearly as many of these as I would have if I wasn't hoarding my precious small stock of Ango like everybody else.

A

This is an old post, I hope people have figured out their bitters by now - if not:

On 2013-08-01 19:05, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I have also tried swapping for a couple different bitters in this one but always go back to Ango. It's funny, I have finally built up a respectable bitters collection of a dozen or so different types and it's great to mix things up a bit, but I have yet to find anything with nearly the versatility of good 'ol Ango.

The experimentation is fun but I agree: for classic tiki recipes you are unlikely to best Angostura.

All the other bitters are subjective & a bit marmite (you either love it or hate it if you dont know the British expression :wink:) You need to try them!

I drink them a lot in non-alcoholic drinks (e.g. bitters & cordial, in coke, in coffee, etc).

My emergency bitters are an opened bottle of Angostura from the 70s that I got from my parents - it tastes subtly different.

I also have 2 unopened bottles of these limited edition Angostura:

If my home bar blew up tomorrow Angostura, Peychauds, Regans & Fees Bro Aztec bitters would be on my shopping list.

I couldnt do without Angostura. I couldnt do without a Sazerac so Peychauds would be in! Regans are my preferred orange bitters because they are a bit softer than other orange bitters. Fee Bros Aztec bitters are great in an WT101 Old Fashioned & with grapefruit sours IMO

Definitely, never let them go dry!

I have observed that a few bars in my part of the country have gone crazy on the bitters bandwagon. But, on good advice, I purchased some Fee Brothers black walnut bitters when I became intrigued by a write-up in Gaz Regan's newsletter. I made a couple whiskey-based Wild Rovers last night, me and a buddy were very pleased. Credit for this recipe goes to Jimmy Hillegas, from Frolik Kitchen + Cocktails, in Seattle, WA:

1 sugar cube
7 dashes black walnut bitters
60 ml (2 oz) Jameson Irish whiskey
1 lemon wedge, as garnish
2 mint sprigs, as garnish

Muddle the sugar cube and bitters. Add ice. Add whiskey and stir, then add the garnishes.

As stated so elegantly by Kahuna Kevin earlier in this thread, and I'm paraphrasing here, bitters can be a blessing and a curse. I'm very careful with these ingredients in tiki drinks, even more so with the more "beefy" whiskey cocktails. The Wild Rover does the Irish whiskey justice, and with just a hint of extra sweetness. The drink beckons with nice and smooth whiskey warmth and flavor, all plussed with aroma and flavor from the black walnut bitters mingling with the delicate scents from the garnishes. We decided the Wild Rover was kind of a "Sazerac light" in a very good way, with the Jameson being surprisingly smooth, and adding nicely to our personal tasting repertoire. This drink is a nice way to relax and sip whiskey, and it and the bitters are keepers in my bar.

Cheers!

When I was a tiny little cocktail brat, even my own mother didn't trust me - she breast-fed me through a straw.

Pages: 1 23 replies