Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

49th State 45s

Pages: 1 5 replies

Has anyone bought/listened to the 45s produced by the label "49th State" of Hawaii? I like traditional Hawaiian music, but from what I've seen of the prices, they're a bit steep for 2 songs (there's some on ebay now). Does anyone have anything good to say about them?

K

Wasn't Hawaii the 50th State?

Ah-so! That is one of the quirks of this recording label. From what I've read it was the first record label to make it a point to record traditional Hawaiian music back in the '40s. One comparison I read was, "what Decca is to blues/jazz, 49th State is to Hawaiian." Anyway, later on the company became Hawaii Record Co. So far, that's all the info/history I've been able to dig up. I don't know anyone who owns any of these.

I would buy a couple and try them out, but I'm travelling right now, and thus have no phono. They're in mint condition and have great little sleeves with flowers all over them.

Maybe someone will chime in soon on this...

On 2002-06-24 18:04, Kilikopela wrote:
Maybe someone will chime in soon on this...

We still await the chime.......

Did you ever get to play them? Any good?

I have several albums that I love and play frequently. (I'll find and post pix soon) but I do not have any 45's.

T

It's good stuff if you like super traditional hawaiian music. Hight pitch voices.

T

Pretty sure I've got at least one 7" & an LP or two. I'll have to hunt them out.

Pages: 1 5 replies